Dog is Hiding and Won't Eat

A dog may be in pain when it has unusual behavior like hiding. This is a guide about dog is hiding and won't eat.

My 7 year old Schnauzer has started going under the bed and will not come out, even for food. Does anyone have any ideas? I dragged him out, gave him a kiss and a hug, and he went right back under the bed. Could it be the heat or hormones or what?

By Carol from Pensacola, FL

Best Answer

Poor little dear! What did he have to eat? Could he have been hurt or scared by a bug or bee? I wonder if he saw or heard something that he didn't a gunshot or an explosive noise of some sort. Looking at the fear response it seems like something that he feels he can get away from by being under the bed. Just talk to him and tell him it is ok and if it doesn't resolve go for a well dog check at the vets for a sedative, probably a form of benydryl.

Best Answer

I'm gonna say pain, bring the dog to the vet as soon as you can. When my mini Schnauzer had a very painful surgery a few years ago, she did this not long after I had gotten her home. I called my vet and he said that that is the way they behave when they are in pain (he had given her pain meds before she left the office but it must have worn off).

I ushered her back to the vet and he gave her another shot of meds. After this, I kept her on a strict pain med schedule for the first few days so the pain would not return and she never hid again.

If this is not normal for your dog, don't assume it's hearing loss, or needing alone time or anything else. Go to a vet.

Best Answer

I used to work for a vet. This sounds like typical behavior for an animal in pain. Take the poor little baby to a vet immediately!

My friend's chihuahua did this when he had fleas really bad. It seems the fleas were not so bothersome in the dark. Is this a possibility?