Resident Cat Peeing in House After Arrival of New Kitten

My male cat is 3 years old. I just got a female kitten who is 3 months old. My male is fixed, but since I got the kitten he has been peeing all over. Why? What should I do?

By Royal Dignity69 from CA

I've had the honor of working with many vets thru out my lifetime. This is a common problem...even with male cats that have been neutered. It happens more often in male cats that were neutered after 6 mos. of age. The reason that he's urinating in certain areas is because he's feeling as though "his" area is being threatened and by leaving his scent there would tell any other cat that this spot belongs to him. When a cat rubs up against you (especially his cheeks) he's leaving his scent on you. He doesn't urinate on you, because you're not a threat to him. There is a way to solve this problem. Clean the areas well with a pet odor remover. They are made specific to take out organic (urine) matter. Afterwards, damped a wash cloth with plain water, then you wipe your cat with the washcloth over all of his scent glands....face, tail etc. In doing so, you're transferring his scent onto the cloth. You now have a cloth with his scent...wipe down the known areas with this cloth. Also put a bit of food next to these known areas. Animals don't like to urinate next to their food. It's using psychology on your kitty, but hold faith...and keep doing this

Your male cat is just marking his territory. I have used a product called Comfort Zone with feliway. It is manufactured by Farnam. Cats will not urinate where you spray it. You can get it from most internet Vet supply stores. and most pet stores. It is worth getting off the net because it is a bit pricy. It works in about 90% of cases. It worked beautifully for me. Be sure you have two litter boxes also. Good Luck

I should have mentioned that your cat should be checked for a bladder infection. This causes more cats to abandon the litter box than anything else, even new kittens in the house.

When our cat started using our clothes, towels, rugs, etc. instead of the litter box, we found out he had a urinary tract infection. Once that was cleared up, he started using the litterbox again. May be something you want to have checked.

Older cat playing with a kitten.
Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat
Pets CatsMay 15, 2010
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Rescued Dog
Introducing a Rescued Dog to Resident Pets
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
Dog with Cat
Introducing a Dog to Resident Cats