Cheer Up Your Winter Window

Just a reminder to cheer up your kitchen window in this wintry weather by growing celery hearts in a glass. I submitted this tip a couple of winters ago and a month or so later, Susan showed us a pretty photo of one that she grew.

Just cut off an inch or two of the celery heel, stick a few toothpicks in it, and place it over a glass of water, with the heel just touching the water. Change the water when it gets cloudy. It will sprout hearts in about a week. And your kitchen will feel a little like spring.

By Jantoo from Kenosha, WI

Editor's Note: Here is a link to that original article:

Windowsill Celery Hearts

I so love this idea and how wonderful of Susan to have tried it and posted a photo of it after your initial submission!

This is definitely the time of year to be cheered up and will be lining my kitchen window with them :-)

Out of curiosity, how long do they last for our enjoyment? Have you experimented with potting them in dirt come Springtime?

Growing the celery is for looks but also for food. Just break a little off when cooking or in a tossed salad. Thanks for this idea. Brilliant.

This is great. I do this with potatoes and carrots, very pretty.

Can you then plant it and grow it to eat? If so, how do you go about doing it?

Thanks for posting this I am going to try it.

Liz

I really like Susan's photo. She obviously had a really green thumb.

I haven't tried planting these in dirt. They grow hair-like roots that trail into the water, so I guess you could plant them. Eventually the heel of the celery gets used up as food for the plant, of course, and when that happened, I harvested the stalks one last time and then composted what was left.

Home and Garden Gardening SeasonalJanuary 29, 2009
Window Air Conditioner
Winterizing a Window Air Conditioner
Picking a Christmas Tree
Picking a Christmas Tree
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
🎄
🍂