Homemade Ice Packs

Make your own ice packs to use for minor injuries. This is a guide about homemade ice packs.

December 23, 2015 Flag

I re-purposed an empty Jif Lemon juice container for a handy ice-pack. I suffered for a long time with nose bleeds due to a perforation and I found the shape of the Jif bottle was ergonomically shaped to keep the bridge of my nose cold thus stopping the bleeding.

It's also handy for other uses such as on bruises and 'boo-boo's'! Just refill the container with water and keep in your freezer. If you collect a few of them, you can also pop them into pitchers without watering down your drinks (as ice does) and they look appealing too!

Source: My own

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a great idea! My kids would think it was pretty cool to use that on their boo-boos.

October 7, 2016 Flag

Making an Ice Pack With Rice

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making an ice pack with rice. This easy to make ice pack comes in handy for bumps and other injuries.

July 7, 2014 Flag

I always keep some of those Capri Sun juice packs on hand for the neighborhood kids. We live on a lake and there's always children going by.

I recently had back surgery and needed ice packs to help with pain and swelling. I asked my husband to freeze some of the juice packs to use. They were the perfect size and didn't leak or thaw quickly. I didn't realize the muscles on my chest would be sore too. Each pack fit just right in my top over chest. I guess they would be good too for hot flashes, just slip it in your bra. LOL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 9, 2008 Flag

Take a diaper and take apart the layers. In the middle is cotton type material, it contains microscopic crystals, that holds moisture.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 29, 2013 Flag

For boo-boos, swelling or high fevers, slip a freezer-sized zipper bag into a tube sock THEN fill it with ice and zip.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 4, 2011 Flag

For a gel ice pack, place 2 cups water and 1/3 cup (80 proof) vodka in a ziploc freezer bag. Seal and enclose in a second ziploc freezer bag. Place in freezer. When frozen, wrap with a cloth before applying to skin.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 6, 2007 Flag

I've been trying to think of ways to defeat heat stroke. I'm thinking about buying these jell packs filled with Phase change material. They are expensive. Would any one have ideas on making some thing similar? To elaborate, phase change material aren't freezing cold. They just pump out a nice pleasant 60 degrees or so over a long period to help you avoid heat stroke in the absence of air conditioning. any one got any ideas on creating a cheap, cost effective version of this stuff?

Quizzelbuck from Toledo, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Where did you find the Phase Change packs?

I could use some.

Ebay. The guy who sold them to me was a marine bomb squad technician . He used them under his bomb disposal suit in 145 degree heat in Iraq. he had 5 or 6 stocked up from his service, and liquidated them for like $50 a pop. The normally go for $150 unshipped. They are well worth that much.

May 23, 2010 Flag

Can I make a homemade "cooling" bandanna or similar product?

By Denise from Duluth, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try this site:

http://www.wate  l_neck_bands.htm

Thanks! I am going to try using the ice packs that come with my medication first. This is my plan. Open the ice pack and fill a snack sized baggie with the cooling material and follow the instructions to add to a bandanna. Any ideas or suggestions?

May 31, 2013 Flag

I know there is a way to make gel, aka boo boo, packs, but I do not remember the recipe. Do any of you know it?

By McCollonough from TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 4, 2011 Flag

How do you make a homemade ice pack?

By Clementine from Burlington, NV

Answers:

Homemade Ice Pack

You can take a wet wash cloth, hand towel, or larger and roll it up and place it in a ziplock baggie and freeze it. Whenever you need an ice pack, just unroll and fit to area. You may want to have more than one on hand. Just roll back up and refreeze. (10/19/2010)

By Lorelei

Homemade Ice Pack

I usually have left over socks that don't have mates. I put them over a cup and push the inside down into the cup, and then fill it up with rice as much as you like. I then tie a knot and then place it in a Ziplock bag in the freezer, also you can put this in the microwave to heat it up, I usually heat it for less than a minute, but it gets really hot.
Blessings,

Robyn (10/19/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Homemade Ice Pack

I have seen people put beanie babies in the freezer and use them for ice packs. Just put the bean bag dolls in a zip lock bag, and they are ready to go. (10/19/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Homemade Ice Pack

I use a bag of peas; marked with an X with a sharpie so it doesn't get used for anything else! Can be frozen and reused over & over; it molds itself to the area. extremely handy to have! (10/19/2010)

By MzScarlett

Homemade Ice Pack

Fill empty water bottles to within an inch from the top. Freeze. These can be used over and over again. No mess, no fuss. Just fill them once. (10/20/2010)

By a4a42316

Homemade Ice Pack

What fantastic suggestions, they would all work! I logged on to suggest a packet of peas, which was of course already mentioned. I'm off to fill a sock with rice! (10/20/2010)

By LTK

Homemade Ice Pack

Mix 1 to 1 rubbing alcohol and water. Pour it inside a sturdy (brand name) plastic zip lock baggie. Then insert that one inside another one (at a different angle). Freeze. The alcohol keeps the water from completely freezing. This is very, very cold. So do not put it directly on your skin, put a washcloth or something in between it and your skin. I used it for my kids. (10/20/2010)

By thriftyvicki

Homemade Ice Pack

The best thing is to buy a package or two of frozen peas and use the package as a pack. You can alternate two packages so they don't thaw and eat them later! Cheap, easy and earth-friendly. (10/20/2010)

By janetc

Homemade Ice Pack

You can use a frozen bag of peas. (10/21/2010)

By K9cats

Homemade Ice Pack

I read somewhere how to make a homemade ice pack for a girl child. They kept the child's doll in the freezer and when she got a boo boo, she was given the doll to put on it. (10/23/2010)

By tanyamichalski

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 4, 2011 Flag

I have been dealing with back pain for years. And the most helpful and cheap thing I have found to help me tremendously is this great ice pack. You make it using Glad freezer bags (Ziploc has leaked on me before). Mix 2 parts water to 1 part rubbing alcohol. And to be safe, I always put a few extra bags over the one, so if it was to leak. What is so great is that they are very cold but not hard. The alcohol in the water keep the ice pack from freezing hard like a rock.

For a ankle or elbow, I use a quart bag and put in 2 cups water and 1 cup alcohol. For my back, I use a gallon bag and put in 4 cups water 2 cups alcohol. I wrap a dish towel around mine to get as much cold as I can. For the back you can wedge them in between you and a pillow.

This also helps with strains and other injuries of the body.

Source: My doctor told me about making these ice packs.

By carla j g from Kevil, KY

Answers:

Homemade Ice Packs

I love these! I've been using them for many,many years for my kids! I usually put a little food coloring in it so it looks like a gel pack and to make it easier to see if it's leaking (of course my daughter always had to have a bit of red in her's so it looked pink!). Thanks for the tip about the Glad bags, the one thing I really hate about these packs is how much they tend to leak, but I've never tried it with Glad bags, just ziplock and generic. (01/06/2011)

By lyonpridej

Homemade Ice Packs

I've never tried the Palmolive before but I had the same trouble with the alcohol/water mixture leaking out, and I got up to 4 freezer packs each sealed inside the other. My therapist told me that Karo syrup worked great, and it does. I use one bottle to a quart-sized ZipLoc Freezer bag, make sure it's sealed, and it doesn't leak or anything. It stays thick so it molds to the area, knee, neck, etc. Just don't use the sugar-free kind; it freezes as hard as ice, so it does last longer, but it isn't as malleable until it thaws a bit. (01/17/2011)

By Nanamadre

Homemade Ice Packs

I have never heard of using Karo, but I think I am gonna try it. I did want to give the idea of using a seal-a-meal because the bags are strong and by sealing it (just seal...don't use the vacuum), it should prove to be leak proof. (01/26/2011)

By Jmoyer235

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 5, 2011 Flag

I tried making the homemade gel packs with alcohol, and I kept having issues with the stuff leaking out. I had it triple bagged, and it still leaked out. Is there a heavier type bag I should use? I feel like it's getting more expensive due to the need to keep adding more bags to attempt keeping the fluid from leaking out.

Do the sealers work any better, or does it keep it from forming better to the body when icing?

By Mable from Provo, UT

Answers:

Homemade Ice Packs

When I used to have tension headaches my mother used a frozen bag of peas for my neck and shoulders, When I felt it getting soft I put it back in the freezer to refreeze. We used it for months. Of course we marked it not to use for meals. Cheaper and easier than making your own ice pack. (08/18/2010)

By AvaElizabeth

Homemade Ice Packs

Are you using the good quality ziplock bags intended for storing frozen foods? There are heavy duty with better quality seals. Try those.

But me, I would use the bag of frozen peas, or just get some ice pack things from the dollar store. You seem to be having quite a problem with these gel packs you are making, and it is hardly worth the effort. (08/20/2010)

By louel53

Homemade Ice Packs

As a physical therapist I have often recommended the type ice pack you describe, but let me give you my most recent patient advice as a better alternative. Use 2 good quality ziplock bags. Into the first one pour 2 large bottles of Palmolive dishwashing detergent. Seal it all, but an inch or 2; force all the air out of the bag and seal the remaining inch. Place this bag into your second bag and seal this one as well, after removing all the air. Place in the freezer. Once cold you will have a gel ice pack that will conform to any body part and is reusable indefinitely, or until someone comes along and puts a hole in the bag! (08/20/2010)

By Tripleb

Homemade Ice Packs

Why don't you just make one using material and rice. It not only holds cold but can be warmed and used that way as well. I usually make up several and have them on hand for individual emergencies. Kinda like a take it and you can keep it thing. If you need more info let me know. These really work great.

Good Luck,
(08/21/2010)

By gem

Homemade Ice Packs

Mable from Provo, UT,

Yes, sealers work great to eliminate the leakage. I would suggest you freeze the mixture in regular baggies. Then when the mixture is frozen, put contents into the sealer bag; that way you can squeeze more air out just before you seal the bag. I double-sealed the bag to ensure no leaks. In addition, I turned the bag inside-out before filling in order to eliminate scratchy sides and corners. (10/30/2010)

By msgadget

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 19, 2010 Flag

I just had surgery for a broken femur bone and am going through ice without an ending. Does anyone have the recipe for homemade ice pack gel?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 20, 2010 Flag

Last summer I had some eye surgery. My surgeon's nurse recommended I use a bag of frozen peas as an ice pack after the surgery.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 17, 2010 Flag

How do you make water-alcohol ice packs?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 23, 2010 Flag

Yesterday, my 7 year old daughter fell and hurt her knee.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 28, 2010 Flag

I am looking for instructions for a homemade ice bag with alcohol.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 16, 2009 Flag
I can't remember where I heard this, but I've done it and it works.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2009 Flag

I recently heard that you can make your own ice pack by putting water and alcohol in a zip lock bag and freezing. does anyone know what the formula is?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2009 Flag

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2009 Flag

Another great homemade cold pack is to add regular rubbing alcohol to water - about 1 part alcohol to 3 parts water - in a freezer type zip top bag. I keep a couple of these in my freezer at all times.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2009 Flag

I find those store bought ice packs ineffective. There are 2 kinds. The big bulky ones that take up too much space or the thin kind that don't reach everything.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2005 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty First AidAugust 23, 2012
three examples
Making an Ice Pack With Rice
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Veggie Ice Pack
Improvised Ice Packs from Your Freezer
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 22, 2017 at 7:18:02 AM on 10.0.1.11 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.