Homemade Ice Packs

Make your own ice packs to use for minor injuries. This is a guide about homemade ice packs.

December 23, 2015 Flag

I re-purposed an empty Jif Lemon juice container for a handy ice-pack. I suffered for a long time with nose bleeds due to a perforation and I found the shape of the Jif bottle was ergonomically shaped to keep the bridge of my nose cold thus stopping the bleeding.

It's also handy for other uses such as on bruises and 'boo-boo's'! Just refill the container with water and keep in your freezer. If you collect a few of them, you can also pop them into pitchers without watering down your drinks (as ice does) and they look appealing too!

Source: My own

What a great idea! My kids would think it was pretty cool to use that on their boo-boos.

October 7, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making an ice pack with rice. This easy to make ice pack comes in handy for bumps and other injuries.

Making an Ice Pack With Rice

July 7, 2014 Flag

I always keep some of those Capri Sun juice packs on hand for the neighborhood kids. We live on a lake and there's always children going by.

I recently had back surgery and needed ice packs to help with pain and swelling. I asked my husband to freeze some of the juice packs to use. They were the perfect size and didn't leak or thaw quickly. I didn't realize the muscles on my chest would be sore too. Each pack fit just right in my top over chest. I guess they would be good too for hot flashes, just slip it in your bra. LOL

September 9, 2008 Flag

Take a diaper and take apart the layers. In the middle is cotton type material, it contains microscopic crystals, that holds moisture.

July 29, 2013 Flag

For boo-boos, swelling or high fevers, slip a freezer-sized zipper bag into a tube sock THEN fill it with ice and zip.

August 6, 2007 Flag

I've been trying to think of ways to defeat heat stroke. I'm thinking about buying these jell packs filled with Phase change material. They are expensive. Would any one have ideas on making some thing similar? To elaborate, phase change material aren't freezing cold. They just pump out a nice pleasant 60 degrees or so over a long period to help you avoid heat stroke in the absence of air conditioning. any one got any ideas on creating a cheap, cost effective version of this stuff?

Quizzelbuck from Toledo, OH

Ebay. The guy who sold them to me was a marine bomb squad technician . He used them under his bomb disposal suit in 145 degree heat in Iraq. he had 5 or 6 stocked up from his service, and liquidated them for like $50 a pop. The normally go for $150 unshipped. They are well worth that much.

March 4, 2011 Flag

For a gel ice pack, place 2 cups water and 1/3 cup (80 proof) vodka in a ziploc freezer bag. Seal and enclose in a second ziploc freezer bag. Place in freezer. When frozen, wrap with a cloth before applying to skin.

May 23, 2010 Flag

Can I make a homemade "cooling" bandanna or similar product?

By Denise from Duluth, MN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try this site:

http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm

March 4, 2011 Flag

How do you make a homemade ice pack?

By Clementine from Burlington, NV

Answers:

Homemade Ice Pack

You can take a wet wash cloth, hand towel, or larger and roll it up and place it in a ziplock baggie and freeze it. Whenever you need an ice pack, just unroll and fit to area. You may want to have more than one on hand. Just roll back up and refreeze. (10/19/2010)

By Lorelei

Homemade Ice Pack

I usually have left over socks that don't have mates. I put them over a cup and push the inside down into the cup, and then fill it up with rice as much as you like. I then tie a knot and then place it in a Ziplock bag in the freezer, also you can put this in the microwave to heat it up, I usually heat it for less than a minute, but it gets really hot.
Blessings,

Robyn (10/19/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Homemade Ice Pack

I have seen people put beanie babies in the freezer and use them for ice packs. Just put the bean bag dolls in a zip lock bag, and they are ready to go. (10/19/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Homemade Ice Pack

I use a bag of peas; marked with an X with a sharpie so it doesn't get used for anything else! Can be frozen and reused over & over; it molds itself to the area. extremely handy to have! (10/19/2010)

By MzScarlett

Homemade Ice Pack

Fill empty water bottles to within an inch from the top. Freeze. These can be used over and over again. No mess, no fuss. Just fill them once. (10/20/2010)

By a4a42316

Homemade Ice Pack

What fantastic suggestions, they would all work! I logged on to suggest a packet of peas, which was of course already mentioned. I'm off to fill a sock with rice! (10/20/2010)

By LTK

Homemade Ice Pack

Mix 1 to 1 rubbing alcohol and water. Pour it inside a sturdy (brand name) plastic zip lock baggie. Then insert that one inside another one (at a different angle). Freeze. The alcohol keeps the water from completely freezing. This is very, very cold. So do not put it directly on your skin, put a washcloth or something in between it and your skin. I used it for my kids. (10/20/2010)

By thriftyvicki

Homemade Ice Pack

The best thing is to buy a package or two of frozen peas and use the package as a pack. You can alternate two packages so they don't thaw and eat them later! Cheap, easy and earth-friendly. (10/20/2010)

By janetc

Homemade Ice Pack

You can use a frozen bag of peas. (10/21/2010)

By K9cats

Homemade Ice Pack

I read somewhere how to make a homemade ice pack for a girl child. They kept the child's doll in the freezer and when she got a boo boo, she was given the doll to put on it. (10/23/2010)

By tanyamichalski

March 4, 2011 Flag

I have been dealing with back pain for years. And the most helpful and cheap thing I have found to help me tremendously is this great ice pack. You make it using Glad freezer bags (Ziploc has leaked on me before). Mix 2 parts water to 1 part rubbing alcohol. And to be safe, I always put a few extra bags over the one, so if it was to leak. What is so great is that they are very cold but not hard. The alcohol in the water keep the ice pack from freezing hard like a rock.

For a ankle or elbow, I use a quart bag and put in 2 cups water and 1 cup alcohol. For my back, I use a gallon bag and put in 4 cups water 2 cups alcohol. I wrap a dish towel around mine to get as much cold as I can. For the back you can wedge them in between you and a pillow.

This also helps with strains and other injuries of the body.

Source: My doctor told me about making these ice packs.

By carla j g from Kevil, KY

Answers:

Homemade Ice Packs

I love these! I've been using them for many,many years for my kids! I usually put a little food coloring in it so it looks like a gel pack and to make it easier to see if it's leaking (of course my daughter always had to have a bit of red in her's so it looked pink!). Thanks for the tip about the Glad bags, the one thing I really hate about these packs is how much they tend to leak, but I've never tried it with Glad bags, just ziplock and generic. (01/06/2011)

By lyonpridej

Homemade Ice Packs

I've never tried the Palmolive before but I had the same trouble with the alcohol/water mixture leaking out, and I got up to 4 freezer packs each sealed inside the other. My therapist told me that Karo syrup worked great, and it does. I use one bottle to a quart-sized ZipLoc Freezer bag, make sure it's sealed, and it doesn't leak or anything. It stays thick so it molds to the area, knee, neck, etc. Just don't use the sugar-free kind; it freezes as hard as ice, so it does last longer, but it isn't as malleable until it thaws a bit. (01/17/2011)

By Nanamadre

Homemade Ice Packs

I have never heard of using Karo, but I think I am gonna try it. I did want to give the idea of using a seal-a-meal because the bags are strong and by sealing it (just seal...don't use the vacuum), it should prove to be leak proof. (01/26/2011)

By Jmoyer235

January 5, 2011 Flag

I tried making the homemade gel packs with alcohol, and I kept having issues with the stuff leaking out. I had it triple bagged, and it still leaked out.

October 19, 2010 Flag

I just had surgery for a broken femur bone and am going through ice without an ending. Does anyone have the recipe for homemade ice pack gel?

August 20, 2010 Flag

Last summer I had some eye surgery. My surgeon's nurse recommended I use a bag of frozen peas as an ice pack after the surgery.

August 17, 2010 Flag

How do you make water-alcohol ice packs?

March 23, 2010 Flag

Yesterday, my 7 year old daughter fell and hurt her knee.

January 28, 2010 Flag

I am looking for instructions for a homemade ice bag with alcohol.

November 16, 2009 Flag
I can't remember where I heard this, but I've done it and it works.

August 24, 2009 Flag

I find those store bought ice packs ineffective. There are 2 kinds. The big bulky ones that take up too much space or the thin kind that don't reach everything.

August 24, 2009 Flag

I recently heard that you can make your own ice pack by putting water and alcohol in a zip lock bag and freezing. does anyone know what the formula is?

August 24, 2009 Flag

August 24, 2009 Flag

Another great homemade cold pack is to add regular rubbing alcohol to water - about 1 part alcohol to 3 parts water - in a freezer type zip top bag. I keep a couple of these in my freezer at all times.

April 29, 2005 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Health & Beauty First AidAugust 23, 2012
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Veggie Ice Pack
Improvised Ice Packs from Your Freezer
🎉
🎄