Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Swiffer Wet Mop Replacement Cloths

I am looking for a way to make my own "Swiffer" Wet Ones sheets. I don't use them very often because of the price, but I do like to have them for a fast clean up.

By Romalue from Sarasota

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Chris [12]04/28/2010

Thank you! I used a old washcloth tonight to use with my Clorox Ready Mop, and it worked better than the wipes you buy at scrubbing the floor.

By Pat [11]09/18/2009

I use microfiber cloths from the dollar store, good wet or dry, washable and reusable.

By Rose Smith [44]09/15/2009

I cut washclothes to fit the mop and just toss them in the wash. I use my sewing machine to bind the edges so they do not unravel.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Swiffer Wet Mop Replacement Cloths

Does anyone have any ideas on what to use as the cleaning cloth of the Swiffer Wet Jet Mop. These cloths are expensive to buy for only 12 of them. I use them frequently to spot clean my hardwood floors and keep the dust and dirt down to a minimum.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mel in IL

RE: Homemade Swiffer Wet Mop Replacement Cloths

I use micro fiber cloths that I get at the Dollar store. They are thick, but they go on my Swiffer perfectly and I lightly dampen the cloth first. You can use another dry one to dry the floor off after. I have a hardwood floor in my kitchen. I then throw them both in the wash and reuse them again. Hope this helps. (02/14/2005)

By Anonymous

I use the more expensive paper towels, the thicker ones, still cheaper than Swiffer cloths. (02/14/2005)

By Karen

Always Over Nite pads work so well. I know it sounds funny, but they are excellent. (02/14/2005)

By Kelley from Etna, ME

I use the disposable cloth diapers all the time around the house, they're great for dusting, dishcloths, everything. I haven't tried them for the Swiffer yet, but I imagine that they would work well for that too. They're thick so they're absorbent and you can just wash them and re-use them. (02/15/2005)

By Krista L.

I use jay cloths, just sew them into a square. They stick on the Swiffer great and can be washed many times. (02/15/2005)

By Leona

Use a used bounce type sheet or two. You recycle them and they really work. (02/16/2005)

There is a cheap brand of paper towels called VIVA that are very tough and cloth-like. They work well for the Swiffer that has the tuck-in holes. As for the Wetjet, which has the hook and loop strips, I have found that the pads sold for it remain the best as far as soaking up the junk and keeping it from wiping back out on the floor. I like the suggestion about using a sanitary napkin. I'll have to try that. (05/06/2005)

By Cleaner girl

Substitute for Swiffer Refills

I like my Swiffer mop and duster, but not buying refills. Simply take washcloths or flannel cut to size to fit your Swiffer. Wash in a solution of 1 quart water to 1/2 cup fabric softener and line dry. Store in a Ziplock bag. Use wet or dry. When soiled, simply wash in the washing machine and reuse again and again. By Melissa (08/05/2005)

By ThriftyFun

The fabric softener is an excellent idea. The softener will attract all the dust on the floor when the cloth is reused. Thanks for the tip Melissa, we appreciate your thoughts. (08/06/2005)

By Anonymous

The Dollar Tree now sells products to go in the Swiffer mop. They have both the dry and the wet cloths for only $1 a pack. The dusting ones work pretty good for $1. The wet ones are a bit thin, but hey for that price you can double them up. I forgot exactly how many come in a pack, but I think 16 dry and 12 wet. (08/14/2005)

By Helping out

I have found out that after using, clean the cloth with vacuum cleaner. It can be reused for several times and it works great. (08/24/2005)

By Thong N.

I know what you mean about the Wet Swiffer(R) not having "holes" to poke something into. Attach the "hook" side of a Velcro(R) type product in strips on the bottom of the Swiffer (R) head. Then, purchase a piece of super absorbent cloth (I've found it in the dollar stores for about $1/yard). This cloth has a felt-like feel and easily sticks to the "hooks". By the "hook" side, I'm referring to the "hard" side of the Velcro(R)-like product, not the fuzzy side.

When you get the super-absorbent cloth (a fabric store or hardware store would be more than happy to direct you to the product) cut it into pieces about 2 inches longer and 2 inches wider than the head. It will stick on perfectly, and you'll have a little "edge" to catch any overflow dust or other particles.

When done, clean and use over and over again. I've used mine probably 25x or more and they still work. I'm also too cheap to buy the "wet" refill so I simply spray a floor cleaner on the floor and use the Swiffer to wipe up the liquid and dirt. Good luck. (08/25/2005)

By Barb

swifter wet jet refill solution

I refill my Wet Jet bottles with Murphy's and water solution for my wood floors. If you prefer a different agent then you can mix the solution for each product. The key is to get a large pair of pliers or wrench of some sort (something with teeth) and undo the cap on the bottles. It might seem tough at first, but it will work. Fill with any solution and put cap back on. It is so much cheaper than the refill price. Thanks for all of the great tips on pads. (02/12/2007)

By thrifty mom

Just a note for all of the ladies throwing away the Swiffer Wet Jet cloths. They can be used up to 7 average sized rooms (or can use 7 times) before you throw away 1 cloth. Just thought I'd let people know in case this helps. (07/03/2007)

By J.R.

I just purchased a washable microfiber mop pad from Target in the floor care section with the Method products. The pad sticks onto the Velcro part of the Wet Jet mop and is washable (machine or by hand) up to "50" times and then reusable. The mop pad was $4.99 which seems a great price for reusing and good for the environment. (07/28/2007)

By June

In Canada we have these Dollarama stores where everything is $1.00, and I have seen those ones you speak of that can be used over and over again, by washing them. So perhaps the stores in the USA could use a few of these, as we have quite a few in my city. (08/18/2009)

By APACHI