Use Wallboard Joint Compound as a Dimensional Paste in Crafting

Here's a way for crafters to save money. I use wallboard joint compound as a dimensional paste in crafting. You can buy it at hardware or home improvement stores. At Lowe's I bought a 3 lb. container for $2. I stirred oatmeal into it and used it for Santa's hair and beard, you could also use cornmeal for a textured effect for snow. You can take a knife and frost it over stencils to emboss. When it's dry it can be sanded. It can be used in many ways, and costs far less than dimensional paste at craft stores.

By Valerie

Showing: Comments Sort

By Elisabeth 1 Flag

What did you use it on? In other words, is it pretty much adhering to everything-like glass, paper, wood, clay flower pot, etc. Hmm, I wonder how it would work on cloth if I attempted to make a fabric box...

Great tip-good thinking! Thanks!!

Needanuface

PS-BTW, I just read that putting cooking oil in a spray bottle and using that instead of something like PAM. It works just as well and, like your tip-it's less expensive.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By JazzyMe 12 79 Flag

Oh! So cool! I've used it in my much younger days for it's original purpose and never thought of using for crafts. One could even paper mache sculpt with it. It's paint-able, sand-able, and I think it could be used on fabric as an inside substance to firm things up a bit. It will not dry clear. It's sort of like using a thin clay paste.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By JazzyMe 12 79 Flag

How cool. I only used it for it's origanal purpose. Never thought of using it for crafts.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Craft Supplies
Saving Money on Craft Supplies
Crafts MiscellaneousJuly 14, 2004
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Shower Enclosure
Shower Enclosure Walls Dry and Peeling
Craft Supplies
Saving Money on Craft Supplies
homemade soap
Having a Craft Swap Party
Brother and Sister Having a Joint Birthday Party
Planning a Joint Birthday Party
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 6:48:47 PM on 10.0.1.67 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings