Use Wallboard Joint Compound as a Dimensional Paste in Crafting

Here's a way for crafters to save money. I use wallboard joint compound as a dimensional paste in crafting. You can buy it at hardware or home improvement stores. At Lowe's I bought a 3 lb. container for $2. I stirred oatmeal into it and used it for Santa's hair and beard, you could also use cornmeal for a textured effect for snow. You can take a knife and frost it over stencils to emboss. When it's dry it can be sanded. It can be used in many ways, and costs far less than dimensional paste at craft stores.

By Valerie

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

What did you use it on? In other words, is it pretty much adhering to everything-like glass, paper, wood, clay flower pot, etc. Hmm, I wonder how it would work on cloth if I attempted to make a fabric box...

Great tip-good thinking! Thanks!!

Needanuface

PS-BTW, I just read that putting cooking oil in a spray bottle and using that instead of something like PAM. It works just as well and, like your tip-it's less expensive.

Oh! So cool! I've used it in my much younger days for it's original purpose and never thought of using for crafts. One could even paper mache sculpt with it. It's paint-able, sand-able, and I think it could be used on fabric as an inside substance to firm things up a bit. It will not dry clear. It's sort of like using a thin clay paste.

How cool. I only used it for it's origanal purpose. Never thought of using it for crafts.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Craft Supplies
Saving Money on Craft Supplies
Crafts MiscellaneousJuly 14, 2004
Shower Enclosure
Shower Enclosure Walls Dry and Peeling
Tomatoes and Tomato Paste
Using Tomato Paste
Brother and Sister Having a Joint Birthday Party
Planning a Joint Birthday Party
Window Cleaning Solutions
Best Window Cleaning Solutions
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 9:03:51 PM on 10.0.1.158 in 297 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.