Problems Washing Red Clothing

Every time I wash any red clothes, they come out of the dryer with a blue tie dye all over them. I keep all reds together in a separate load and use Tide. Some of the clothing is very expensive and this is quite frustrating. We have well water. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. If anyone has any tips on keeping reds red I would appreciate it!!

Kerri from Rehoboth, MA

Since Tide is one of the harshest detergents, I would guess that it might be the culprit. I would try a milder detergent. Hope this helps.

Well.. a deep subject!! the problem may be that you are putting the clothes in first then the soap??

If so fill the barrel in the washer with the soap and water first, let it agitate a few then put the clothes in. There may be a chemical reaction between the well water and the soap Well water is full of minerals and manufacturers don't alway take that into consideration.

Just for future reference for everyone: never pour soap directly on to dry clothes when filling the washer make sure the barrel is full of water first.

As for your ruined items dissolve some oxyclean or generic therein in HOT water in the emtpy washer let it cool then wash load. Good luck

We have well water too, but I don't find that an issue. With red clothes--I use a product called Shout Catchers. It's about $3.00 a box and I have reused them if it didn't collect enough dye.

I live in the desert and our well water is the worst in the U.S.

I was told a long time ago to use only liquid detergent in my machine. I don't have time to wait for the washer to fill with water so I put the detergent under the running water in my machine from the measuring cup. If I'm washing the clothing for the first time ie. jeans or colored clothes I don't wash with detergent but instead use vinegar. (about 1 cup per small load) this sets the color. Rinse and launder as usual. I have used Gain for many years and haven't had problems with my clothes streaking or bleeding.

ALWAYS wash with cold water and save the hot water for whites.

Do you have a water softener? if not invest!

With well water, vinegar is your best friend (use in your hair to keep it looking and feeling healthy)

I have been having a terrible time washing red or pink clothes. I am not just talking about the first washing either. This can happen on the 10th washing. They end up looking like purple and red tie die and it is a pain to get out. I do have well water but had not this problem in the past. This started within the last 8 months and nothing has changed ie, type of detergent. Any suggestions?

Hi do you wash the red clothes?, in cool or cold water? I hope, for stains you need a gentle on all color fabric stain lifter only or soap or shampoo, use white vinegar the rinse cold water helps as well, do not wash on long cycles at all to keep colors crisp bright and deep looking I use Fab or Cheer for colors only on my darks and it keeps them nice!,dry until just damp and hang if you possibly can my very best in keeping those colors bright I have some articles of clothes that are over ten years old and look very nice and even new for their age by these methods alone. deladybex

My wife has had a similar problem when washing red items. The cotton tops come out of the machine with 'splodges' of blue colour, almost like someone has gone across the material with a blue pen! She initially thought it might be something in the soap powder, so on the last occasion she washed the item by hand in water with just a little washing up liquid. It came out even worse! This item had been washed several times before without any problem. The blue splashes appear to be permanent, but can anyone suggest ways of removing them?

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJanuary 2, 2007
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Red delicious apples.
Recipes Using Red Delicious Apples
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors