Rotten Meat Smell in a Room

My freezer died and it leaked bloody water onto the floor (wooden) of my outdoor utility house. I have mopped the area with bleach and dried with fans, but the odor is still there. How can I get rid of the rotten blood/meat smell?

By Tara

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

November 4, 2010 Flag

My husband went outside to our big freezer the other day. It is in a room of the house that is not accessible from inside (thank goodness). He opened the door and was assaulted by the smell of rotten meat. The freezer had probably been standing open a week. We were able to get the smell out of the freezer with baking soda, newspaper, and charcoal. How do we get the smell out of a small cinderblock room? It is awful! I can smell it before I open the door and I have a cold. I have the door open attempting to air it out, but any suggestions would be great.

Miranda from AR

Answers:

Rotten Meat Smell in a Room

Use a mixture of household bleach and water, 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water, no need to rinse.
Spray or scrub down the wall and anything else with this. (01/30/2006)

By Dorie

Rotten Meat Smell in a Room

Febreze will take care of it. It did on the spilled turkey mess in the car trunk of a friend. (01/30/2006)

By Brenda from OH

Rotten Meat Smell in a Room

What about painting the cinderblock (and even the floor if it is cement) with Kilz? It's supposed to take care of everything. Good luck! Keeping open vinegar containers seems like a good idea too. (01/30/2006)

By Kathy

Rotten Meat Smell in a Room

Try throwing some fresh coffee grounds all around the room. For some reason, the coffee grounds eliminate the most potent odors. One time, a mouse died behind one of our walls near a vent. We could not get to the mouse but we did read once that throwing coffee grounds would take the terrible odor away. I'm happy to say that it worked very well!

It has to be fresh coffee grounds. Use very liberally. (01/30/2006)

By Day

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 4, 2010
A picture of the Eiffel Tower.
Decorating a Room With a Paris Theme
A photo of a car.
Removing Rotten Food Odors From a Car
Storing Oranges, Canning Oranges, A bunch of bright round oranges.
Storing Oranges
Room With Many Doors
Decorating a Room With Many Doors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 12, 2016 at 10:31:19 PM on 10.0.2.76 in 765 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.