Use Cornstarch to Reduce Bleeding

contest winner icon

After seeing one great tip about cornstarch, I thought I should share mine. A year or so ago, one of my dairy goats had a scurr (an incompletely removed horn that grows back poorly) that was becoming uncomfortable and pressing on her head. My husband was attempting to cut it off cleanly when it suddenly fell off, spraying blood everywhere!

I thought quickly about what might make it stop while I pressed on the wound (it wasn't slowing down a bit) and told him to run for the cornstarch. I figured that if it would thicken gravy, it would coagulate blood. A good dash of cornstarch shut off the blood like a faucet!

After the fact, I checked and found that this is the main ingredient in the bloodstopper powder you can buy from a vet supply store. It can be a very handy thing to have around animals or accidents!

By Gina J. from MT

That's good to know. I like that the cornstarch is non-toxic in case an animal licks it.

Thank you for that tip. That could be a lifesaver, and I usually have some around as I like to make my own gravies, etc. Thank again.

It's great to learn something new everyday as I just did. thanks

I've used cornstarch for years when I clip my bird's toenails and accidentally get too close to the vein. Before trimming I get ready by taking about a three inch piece of cut straw and jamming it into the cornstarch so that it's kinda softly packed into the straw. Then if I get a bleeder I put the toenail into the straw filled with cornstarch and the bleeding stop almost immediately. I would say this would work with cat and dog toenails also.

I'm glad your goat is okay.

Thanks for reminding of cornstarch to stop bleeding! My granddaughter was studying to be a vet tech and told me long ago that the school recommends to have it on hand when trimming a dogs nails. Thanks again.

Great tip! Thanks for sharing! :)

Gross story, great tip. Thanks.