Small White Head on Finger

I can't really send a picture. It's on the very edge of my nail and has a yellowy off white sort of puss in it. It hurts when I apply pressure to it, and it isn't really all that raised at all, maybe a little. It's been hurting for three days now, and this morning I found it had the puss-like stuff in it.

I noticed it after sleeping in my uncle's car one morning as we were on a road trip from Florida to California. This made me think it might be a bite or something. I have never had a pimple on my finger and am hoping it is. Even the other side of my nail hurts right at the tip. I'm not sure what else to give as info. I really hope some little bug doesn't sprout out of it. Any ideas?

By Alex D

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

That isn't really a whitehead. It is actually an infection, may even be a small ingrown nail. You can try warm soaks with epsom salt, to help draw it out. If it continues to get worse, you will need to see your doctor, he may lance it and drain it if it is bad enough, or may just give some antibiotics.

Some people will try to poke it the burnt end of a needle, but if you aren't careful, it can lead to a worsening infection. You can always put some antibiotic ointment with pain killer on it. I used gum numbing gel the last time I had one. They really stick out like a 'sore thumb', everything seems to touch it, no matter what!

Hope it gets better soon.

It is paronychia, an infection around the fingernail. Google for more info. You need to see a doctor as I doubt it will clear up with just antibiotic ointment. May be a bug bite or it can be from an injury that you don't even remember happening.

The answer to your question is called a Medical practitioner.

Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 10, 2011
Homemade Finger Paint
Homemade Finger Paint
removing a ring
Removing a Ring That is Stuck on Your Finger
Pipe Cleaner Bunny Finger Puppets
Making Pipe Cleaner Bunny Finger Puppets
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 1:18:36 PM on 10.0.0.82 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.