Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing a Yellow Jacket Nest

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Removing a Yellow Jackets Nest

A wasp's nest on or around your home can be a challenge to remove. This guide is about removing a yellow jacket nest.

Here are questions related to Removing a Yellow Jacket Nest.

Question: Handling Yellow Jackets in House Walls

Yellow jackets bored a hole through the outside wooden window frame and set up a nest. Somehow they were able to enter the kitchen underneath the inside wooden frame. When accidentally disturbed, we had a swarm of yellow jackets attacking us. We could only use magazines to take care of them. Then we went and bought wasp and yellow jacket spray and sprayed inside and outside. Called professional guy who also sprayed the window sills inside and out. There are no bees inside, but they are flying in and out of the outside area. What do we do now? We have been stung multiple times and been to the doctor's twice. Help.

By CJ

Most Recent Answer

By Chuck [17]09/30/2013

Long ago I discovered that yellow jackets had a fatal urge to eat the maple syrup we made, although I'd venture they would like just about any syrup. I put syrup in a wide dish with rim, so they had no place to perch and sip. They would land in the syrup and that was the end of them. It was amazing to visit the bowl after a few hours and see nothing but black and gold stripes covering the entire dish.

Question: Yellow Jackets in Dormers

I had yellow jackets in dormer and they came inside of the house. I had to cut a hole in ceiling and took shop vac and sucked the nest out. My question is should I cut holes in the other dormers and see if there are nests in them?

By Frank from Leesville, SC

Question: Removing a Yellow Jackets Nest

We have been invaded by a yellow jacket nest in the middle of the front yard. We have sprayed twice with a 20 percent foam spray. They are still here. 1. Would there be an extra problem because we have mole trails beneath the yard? 2. Any ideas other than setting them on fire. I wouldn't want to break any city ordinance.

bekkicat

Best Answers

By B Wonsik (Guest Post)07/30/2007

For yellow jackets in the ground nest I return at night and mix up a strong one gallon cocktail of Malathion and Diazinon in a bucket. I quickly pour the cocktail down the hole and set the empty bucket on top so the yellow jackets are trapped in the nest and leave it there until the next day. Usually one treatment works but I keep an eye on the nest for the next few days.

Best Answers

By M. (Guest Post)08/04/2005

Two summers ago, we had a terrible yellow jacket infestation in the outside wall of our house.

Very large insects were squeezing in through our kitchen door and tinier ones were sneaking in through the living room window.

Finally, the colony started infiltrating my sister's bedroom, whose windows were directly above the outside colony entrance.

Because my sister was away at the time, we ended up having to close her door and plug it with beach towels to keep the yellow jackets from spreading.

It got so bad, we finally had professional exterminators over, who estimated the colony in the thousands.

They administered poison in the colony's entrance, but after a couple of weeks, the problem was no better.

We threatened to put a hold on the uncashed check, so the exterminators came back, and put more poison in.

However, we didn't see a complete end to the bothersome visitors until a bitterly cold snap in the fall.

My father caulked over the entrance as a final measure, and that was that.

You can still find a previously unnoticed corpse under a piece of furniture or in a window sill every now and then.

I can only imagine the pile of yellow jacket bodies inside the wall that will never be exposed.

Best Answers

By Ben (Guest Post)07/25/2005

I've been looking into removing a nest on my kids playtoy (got stung yesterday--that's how I found out about the nest!) Spraying aerosol poison can be risky. Even at night, when the stream hits the nest some yellow jackets can escape. Plus you risk poisoning birds and others who feed on wasps and their larva. Gasoline seems like a very bad idea. It will kill any grass or plants it touches, leech into the ground (possibly contaminating groundwater) with the next rain. I'm going to fill my shop vac with soapy water (kills the wasps), suck in the whole nest and plug the hose til they die!

Best Answers

By Kathy K. (Guest Post)06/25/2005

When we had one in the middle of a flower bed, we put a clear bowl over the main exit to the hive. The sun baked the hive and the workers could not get out. We never did find the secondary entrance, but after a couple of weeks, the colony had died anyway.

Do this at night when they're dormant!

Solutions: Removing a Yellow Jacket Nest

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!