Growing Heirloom Tomatoes

Are heirloom tomatoes hard to grow? Can you get starter plants for them? Also, can they grow in pots?

By grifft

Best Answer

Hi! In the city of Ben Lomond, California, there is a wonderful farm called Love Apple Farm. They specialize in heirloom tomatoes, 125 varieties for sale to take home and plant in your garden. Beautiful farm, helpful tips free, all organic, too. Good luck in Zone 7.

Best Answer

a) no harder than other tomatoes, generally

b) yes, by mail order; maybe, at local greenhouses (tomatoes are easy from seed, too)

c) if the pot is large enough;the larger, the more fruit. Try 5 gallon buckets. Be sure to drill drainage holes.

I grew heirloom tomatoes one year, I am sorry I don't recall the names. I did find they produced later in the season, and not many fruits either. Maybe it was the type I chose? It was interesting, but I would not do it again!

April 20, 2010 Flag

Try to find heirloom tomatoes in your garden center.

By ptreskovich

Editor's Note: Heirloom seeds are not hybrids so you can grow the same type from the seeds they produce. There are several good mail order and internet order sources for heirlooms. Just search on Google for Heirloom Seeds and to find seeds for your area of the world.

Answers:

Growing Heirloom Tomatoes

I have found over the years that "Seeds of Change" have the best seeds for whatever flower or vegetable you may want to grow. All plants are hearty and prolific. Definitely worth the money, since almost all the seeds germinate, not like other seeds from other companies. They are on the web or sometimes their seeds can be found in nurseries and garden centers around town. (03/26/2005)

By Denise King

Growing Heirloom Tomatoes
Growing Heirloom Tomatoes
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingApril 20, 2010
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
Heirloom Tomato Varieties
Growing Heirloom Vegetables
🎄