Use Spices and Extract to Deodorize Your Microwave

By Rachel's Mom 277 87

To get rid of the awful lingering smell of burnt microwave popcorn, fill a large microwave-safe bowl with one cup of water and sprinkle your favorite spice like cinnamon or add several drops of vanilla or lemon extract. Bring to a boil. Let it sit inside for 10 to 15 minutes to cool down. Simply wipe the walls down with paper towels. Leave the door open to further air it out.

Showing: Comments Sort

By Marty Dick 167 967 Flag

I use mix of bottled lemon juice and water in a pyrex measuring cup. Put it in the the oven and run for about a minute. Depending on the power of your oven it should strike a boil by that time. I use this concoction for everything from burnt popcorn to general clean up. The help line at the manufacturer of my first microwave told me to do this at least 15 years ago. It won't leave a residual odor but gets ride of "ugly" odors.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Eric J. Paquin 6 Flag

This is a wonderful idea and it will also deodorize your kitchen as well. Another great thing to do would be to do the same thing on your stove in a pan. As a child my father used to use orange peels and water, bring them to a boil and allow the smell to enter the entire house. I am sure any spices and or fruit throw aways would work the same. Word of warning don't allow your pan to boil dry.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Photo of a white microwave oven.
Removing Odors from the Microwave
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesSeptember 27, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
A cutting board with ground spices and fresh spices on it.
Ground Spices vs. Fresh Spices
Photo of a white microwave oven.
Removing Odors from the Microwave
Homemade vanilla extract in a glass bottle.
Making Vanilla Extract
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:31:49 PM on 10.0.2.83 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings