Revamping Kitchen Cabinets

I need ideas for a way to revamp my kitchen cabinets! They are old home made kind with thin wood. I would like to put a trim on them and either paint or stain them. Any neat ideas for a color out of the ordinary? We are also putting in new wood floors that we haven't yet picked a color for! Help.

Sheena from Greenville, MI

First, it is great that you want to recycle, rather than just tear them down and toss!

When we built our little cabin in the woods, we decided to go with two sets of older cabinets and make them our own. We actually had them in pieces, which you may not want to do. I sanded, primed and painted each cabinet a navy blue (denim-type color). All of the cabinet doors had a panel in them, which we removed. I then painted the doors a bright red (going for the Americana theme). I purchased sheet metal, which I cut the size of the panels (be very careful doing this - you need tin snipes and good gloves). I drew designs on paper and then used an ice pick and small hammer to punch the designs into the metal. I attached the panels and they are magnificent. I did use chicken wire on two cabinets with double doors, so that I could display my good dishes. I was given a Home Depot gift card, which I used to purchase matching silver cabinet handles and spraypainted the original hinges silver to match. I am so proud of my cabinets and no one else has them! The cost was approximately $300.00 for everything - much better than the $11,000 quoted to us for having them built.

The cabinets mtnwmn did look wonderful. I have also seen people do a similar paint job & then line the cabinet doors with mesh, chicken wire, or glass. Also I have noticed some people leaving the doors off their cabinets.

Check into putting a new veneer on them. I bought some actual wood veneer and redid all my cabinets. Everyone thinks I spent big money on new cabinets. It wasn't hard at all. Just do a search on the net for cabinet refacing.

Home and Garden Home Improvement KitchenOctober 6, 2008
Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Cleaning Wood Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🎉
🎄