General AdviceConsumer Advice

Identifying Asbestos Insulation

I found some loose, mostly grey with white specks, insulation in my attic. Does that sound like an item containing asbestos? The house was built in 1949, but this looks newer than that.

By Scott from Missoula, MT

I don't believe it is asbestos but you could have it tested to be safe. You can find these folks in the yellow pages. When I removed my linoleum floor I had it tested for asbestos. The cost was $300. It tested negative for asbestos.

A reliable and well recommended building contractor would be able to identify asbestos insulation. It would cost you nothing for them to come to give you an estimate on your "renovation" to complete it.

Take no chances. Until you can positively say it isn't asbestos, stay away from it, seal off the area with plastic & whatever you do, wear a filtered mask if you have to be in that area for any reason. Good Luck

Does anyone know how I can tell whether I have asbestos insulation in my home or not? The insulation I have is brown wool like material (fluffy nickel-sized clumps) seems to be all intertwined-not separated clumps. My home was built in 1948.

Aeowyn from Cincinnati

Answers:

Identifying Asbestos Insulation

Here is more information from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):

epa.gov

And the City of Bloomington, MN has some good photos and information, particularly on what to do (and not do) if you have asbestos in your home:

bloomington.mn.us (07/11/2008)

By BarbaraCollins08

Identifying Asbestos Insulation

It may be cellulose insulation, which is made up of newspaper, it has a brown appearance. But given the age of your home, I would have it checked out to make sure. These days, we install fiberglass insulation, which has a white, cottony appearance. (07/12/2008)

By

Identifying Asbestos Insulation

Most asbestos insulation is white and looks sort of like papier mache. (07/18/2008)

By Beth