Removing Stains on Clothing

Our clothes seem to be stain magnets; some are very difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing stains on clothing.

November 30, 2011 Flag

Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Store works great on every stain there is. From grease to grass stains on fabric, and will not affect the color of fabric! It is great for cleaning everything from lawn furniture to stove tops. It is well worth a dollar!

By Beverly C. from Hanover TWP., PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Would be nice to know the name of the product.. Can you please post the name.

(b)Editor's Note: The full name name of the cleaner is "L.A.'s Totally Awesome All Purpose Cleaner"

August 16, 2010 Flag

I have on several occasions used the hand cleaner Goop as a spot remover. I have used it on items that have gone through the washer and dryer with grease spots. Put Goop on the stain and rub it in. Leave it on from 5 minutes to a day or two before washing. If the stain doesn't come out the first time, try again. It will often come out the second time.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What is Goop?

Editor's Note: GOOP is a multi purpose hand cleaner that is sold at most hardware and automotive supply stores. It is a waterless cleaner that is very good for removing oil and grease from hands and other materials.

July 12, 2016 Flag

Bottle of Dawn Dish Soap

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using Dawn dish soap as a stain remover. In addition to being an excellent grease cutting detergent for washing dishes, Dawn is also a very effective stain remover for your laundry, carpet, or other fabric items.

November 7, 2007 Flag

Each of my laundry baskets has either a handle or holes on sides. If I see an item in the laundry pile that needs special attention such as pre-treatment, I will thread that item through the handle or holes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 19, 2007 Flag

I spilled red jello all over the front of my white pants. It had dried before I could get home. No remedy seemed to work so I tried carpet spot and stain remover.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 9, 2010 Flag

I keep a spray bottle of laundry stain remover by our dirty basket so when there is a stain, I spray it on the item of clothing before putting it in the laundry basket. This way it has a longer time to work and I don't have to remember which item has the stain.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 14, 2010 Flag

I wanted to get stains out of my kids clothes and of course my family, I tried everything. So to get the water in Nebraska to soften more, I used Cascade with bleach, then to protect all colors in our clothes I used Clorox II.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 11, 2007 Flag

Here is a tip for keeping clothes nice longer! I have had to throw out clothes with small stains, because we didn't notice them soon enough to treat the stain. I have started keeping a laundry stain stick next to each of my hampers.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 13, 2004 Flag

To get those horrible red koolaide, ketchup or any color stain out of your white countertop - spray on Dawn Power Dissolver - let sit a few minutes, if stubborn use Dawns twirling dish brush and wash up. That easy. It has been wonderful find. Love Dawn. By Prov31Wise

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 19, 2004 Flag

When trying to remove a stain from clothing, use an old battery operated toothbrush to work the pretreatment into the fabric. If the stain is small, you can dip the toothbrush in the pretreatment solution and keep your hands clean.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 7, 2005 Flag

This tip is for removing purple stains (Pedialyte) on white cotton shirts.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 17, 2016 Flag

I have a coat that has a very strong green water stain. What can I use to get it out? I hope you can help. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Stain on coat

July 10, 2011 Flag

My husband spilled coffee on his new cotton robe and then put in by the washer and drier. I was not told of the stain and when I came across the stain it was approximately 3 hours later. I sprayed the stain with Shout, let it sit for 5 minutes and then laundered as usual with warm water. I did not notice the light stain when I removed the robe from the washer and then dried it. Now I have a light stain and a not happy husband; so how do I remove a set in coffee stain on a cotton robe?

By Cathy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I got a set-in (washed and dried) coffee stain out of a gold cotton bedspread by soaking it for a week in Oxyclean (name brand, not a substitute) and water. I think the gold color was lightened slightly - but not much. I have good luck getting food-based stains out with that product and a long soak.

March 18, 2010 Flag

I made a French hand sewn dress for my daughter, 26 years ago. It is a light lavender color and cotton. A small light brown spot is on it. How can I get it out for my granddaughter to wear?

By Melinda from MS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used lemon juice and place the dress in the sun for a couple of hours, most of the stain came out. I then tried the vinegar, as was suggested here, and it finished getting it out. Thank you for your help!

October 2, 2013 Flag

I have a plain white t-shirt. I noticed the last time that I washed it, it came out of the washing machine, with 3 small black spots on it. These spots, weren't on my other clothes. I ran a washing machine cleaning (no clothes) with chlorine liquid bleach and hot water. Then, I did treating, of the shirt with Dawn dish detergent and tried washing it again. No luck. Please advise. Thank you.

By L. Lackey

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you think these black spots are dots from a black ink pen, spray the dots with hair spray and then wash as usual. The ink should start to "run" when you spray it. If it doesn't "run," its not ink.

If you think it might be mold, you'll need to use another method. Clothes left to sit in a washing machine tend to get moldy. Thats why they get a sour smell. It is the mold starting to form.

Best wishes always.

October 1, 2008 Flag

I love Gymboree clothing, however as you know Gymboree stains really badly. I tried everything but nothing works. Any suggestions?

Maria

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try OxyClean powder or spray. I got mustard out of my daughter's shirt by soaking it in Oxyclean for 30 minutes, and adding more of the powder when I washed that load of clothes.

April 17, 2015 Flag

Can anybody help me? I was at a glow in the dark party and got fluorescent dye on my favourite t-shirt. How can I get out? Thanks guys.

By Mel

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 18, 2015 Flag

While using liquid Tide detergent to rub a stain on some clothes before putting them in the washer, I got a splash of Tide detergent on my London Fog brown coat (that I was wearing while doing that). Now I have a dark brown, almost black spot on the sleeve.
How can I get it out? The coat is 56% biconstituent fiber (81% polyester 19% nylon) and 44% polyester.

One spot has been there for weeks. It happened before and I didn't try anything to remove it. The other spot is from today.

By Michael O.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 5, 2010 Flag

How can I remove set in stains from clothing?

By Brandi from Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best only cost a dollar. Most dollar stores carry this product. You can even use it in the wash. It is called awesome. Its a multi-purpose degreaser. It works amazing spray it on stains let it sit a few minutes then throw in wash.

August 18, 2014 Flag

I recently got antiquing gel on some clothing, but thought it would come out by using Goop and washing it. It did not and am looking for suggestions to remove the stain.

By Kay E

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 4, 2009 Flag

I was using Old English scratch cover on my coffee table, the dark stain, and accidentally got spots of this stain on my cream colored top. How do I remove this stain. Thanks for any advice out there.

bettydeboop

By bettydeboop from Middleton, NH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use spray and wash with resolve. It works really well. Just spray it rub the cloth and wash it.

July 21, 2005 Flag

I just realized that my lambskin Chanel bag has an inch long light blue ink mark on the side. I do not know how long it has been there. Does anyone know a safe technique to remove ink stains from soft, taupe-colored lambskin without drying it out and removing the color. I have not touched it yet because I am afraid I will mess up the material. Thanks!

Cat from Penn.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would suggest to go to the Chanel shop. I guess that as Louis Vuitton they have an after sales service to clean and mend bags. They will know the right way to clean it without damaging the leather.

January 18, 2013 Flag

How do I remove a coffee stain on a white cotton shirt?

By Colin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 17, 2012 Flag

I accidentally washed an Old English staining rag in my load of colored clothes and now I need to know how to get the stain spots out of my clothes. Please help!

By Brad

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 25, 2010 Flag

I'm looking for a stain remover for all kind of stains, similar to those used in laundry shops. If you can help me in this case (to buy), please answer me. Thank you.

Davari

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 5, 2010 Flag

How do I clean stains left after washing and drying my laundry?

By Thomas

Answers:

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

Please read Archives at bottom of page. I think you'll find the answer. (09/05/2010)

By MCW

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 5, 2010 Flag

How do I remove set in stains?

By Debbie from NY

Answers:

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

I often end up with "new" stains on clothing, especially from hubby. Then best luck I have had, is using Simple Green on them. I wet the stain first, then spray till soaking with the Simple Green, and let it sit overnight, then wash the next morning. It may not take all of the stain out, but it looks better than before. (08/03/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

My sister swears by what she calls "brown soap". I had some stains on a tee shirt that had been through the dryer and I thought it was done since the strains had been "cooked" in the dryer. She gave me a bar of brown soap, I wet the shirt and rubbed the soap over the stains and washed again. Lo and behold, the stains were gone! She said every supermarket has brown soap and it's dirt cheap and I'm sure it has been around for a long, long time. (08/06/2010)

By DorothyNYC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 3, 2010 Flag

I shop at consignment stores for my eBay store and I have several things with set in stains on them. I have tried everything from Dawn and Clorox 2 to carpet cleaner.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 23, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsMarch 13, 2012
sweat stain on dark clothing
Removing Underarm Sweat Stains from Clothing
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
Bottle of Dawn Dish Soap
Using Dawn Dish Soap as a Stain Remover
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 11:44:11 AM on 10.0.1.246 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.