Removing Stains on Clothing

Our clothes seem to be stain magnets; some are very difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing stains on clothing.

Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 30, 2011 Flag

Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Store works great on every stain there is. From grease to grass stains on fabric, and will not affect the color of fabric! It is great for cleaning everything from lawn furniture to stove tops. It is well worth a dollar!

By Beverly C. from Hanover TWP., PA

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 24, 2010 Flag

I really can't take any credit for this tip at all, except to tell you that it works. I used it to remove human urine from the decorative contour rug around our commode. Recently, someone from ThriftyFun suggested it and all credit to her.

August 16, 2010 Flag

I have on several occasions used the hand cleaner Goop as a spot remover. I have used it on items that have gone through the washer and dryer with grease spots. Put Goop on the stain and rub it in. Leave it on from 5 minutes to a day or two before washing. If the stain doesn't come out the first time, try again. It will often come out the second time.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

November 7, 2007 Flag

Each of my laundry baskets has either a handle or holes on sides. If I see an item in the laundry pile that needs special attention such as pre-treatment, I will thread that item through the handle or holes. This allows me to remember to treat that item, but it also alerts my hubby to not wash that item. He doesn't do laundry often but when he does, he knows not to mess with those items. It saves both my time in fighting the stain, and fighting with him over washing something he wasn't supposed too.

By Denise from Nebraska

July 10, 2011 Flag

My husband spilled coffee on his new cotton robe and then put in by the washer and drier. I was not told of the stain and when I came across the stain it was approximately 3 hours later. I sprayed the stain with Shout, let it sit for 5 minutes and then laundered as usual with warm water. I did not notice the light stain when I removed the robe from the washer and then dried it. Now I have a light stain and a not happy husband; so how do I remove a set in coffee stain on a cotton robe?

By Cathy

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If all that fails then you can moisten the spot pour lemon concentrate on it and salt it down good with salt and lay flat in sun and it will draw it out.

Read More Answers...

March 18, 2010 Flag

I made a French hand sewn dress for my daughter, 26 years ago. It is a light lavender color and cotton. A small light brown spot is on it. How can I get it out for my granddaughter to wear?

By Melinda from MS

I use vinegar to remove stains from a white evening gown, apply it several times ,put in sunshine,i f that don't work, if you have a piece of that fabric left you can cut out the stain & sew the fabric on the under side or get an iron on patch to mend it, good luck.

Read More Answers...

June 19, 2007 Flag

I spilled red jello all over the front of my white pants. It had dried before I could get home. No remedy seemed to work so I tried carpet spot and stain remover. After spraying it on and letting it sit for about 5-10 minutes, no more stain.

By Imtomi from Philadelphia, PA

October 2, 2013 Flag

I have a plain white t-shirt. I noticed the last time that I washed it, it came out of the washing machine, with 3 small black spots on it. These spots, weren't on my other clothes. I ran a washing machine cleaning (no clothes) with chlorine liquid bleach and hot water. Then, I did treating, of the shirt with Dawn dish detergent and tried washing it again. No luck. Please advise. Thank you.

By L. Lackey

If you think these black spots are dots from a black ink pen, spray the dots with hair spray and then wash as usual. The ink should start to "run" when you spray it. If it doesn't "run," its not ink.

If you think it might be mold, you'll need to use another method. Clothes left to sit in a washing machine tend to get moldy. Thats why they get a sour smell. It is the mold starting to form.

Best wishes always.

October 1, 2008 Flag

I love Gymboree clothing, however as you know Gymboree stains really badly. I tried everything but nothing works. Any suggestions?

Maria

Best product ever is M30. you can get it at dollar general in a tub for 1.00. A lady who owns a consignment store told me about it.

Read More Answers...

December 9, 2010 Flag

I keep a spray bottle of laundry stain remover by our dirty basket so when there is a stain, I spray it on the item of clothing before putting it in the laundry basket. This way it has a longer time to work and I don't have to remember which item has the stain.

October 5, 2010 Flag

How can I remove set in stains from clothing?

By Brandi from Ontario

The best only cost a dollar. Most dollar stores carry this product. You can even use it in the wash. It is called awesome. Its a multi-purpose degreaser. It works amazing spray it on stains let it sit a few minutes then throw in wash.

January 14, 2010 Flag

I wanted to get stains out of my kids clothes and of course my family, I tried everything. So to get the water in Nebraska to soften more, I used Cascade with bleach, then to protect all colors in our clothes I used Clorox II.

August 4, 2009 Flag

I was using Old English scratch cover on my coffee table, the dark stain, and accidentally got spots of this stain on my cream colored top. How do I remove this stain. Thanks for any advice out there.

bettydeboop

By bettydeboop from Middleton, NH

I use spray and wash with resolve. It works really well. Just spray it rub the cloth and wash it.

September 11, 2007 Flag

Here is a tip for keeping clothes nice longer! I have had to throw out clothes with small stains, because we didn't notice them soon enough to treat the stain. I have started keeping a laundry stain stick next to each of my hampers.

July 21, 2005 Flag

I just realized that my lambskin Chanel bag has an inch long light blue ink mark on the side. I do not know how long it has been there. Does anyone know a safe technique to remove ink stains from soft, taupe-colored lambskin without drying it out and removing the color. I have not touched it yet because I am afraid I will mess up the material. Thanks!

Cat from Penn.

I would suggest to go to the Chanel shop. I guess that as Louis Vuitton they have an after sales service to clean and mend bags. They will know the right way to clean it without damaging the leather.

August 13, 2004 Flag

To get those horrible red koolaide, ketchup or any color stain out of your white countertop - spray on Dawn Power Dissolver - let sit a few minutes, if stubborn use Dawns twirling dish brush and wash up. That easy. It has been wonderful find. Love Dawn. By Prov31Wise

July 19, 2004 Flag

When trying to remove a stain from clothing, use an old battery operated toothbrush to work the pretreatment into the fabric. If the stain is small, you can dip the toothbrush in the pretreatment solution and keep your hands clean.

July 25, 2010 Flag

I'm looking for a stain remover for all kind of stains, similar to those used in laundry shops. If you can help me in this case (to buy), please answer me. Thank you.

Davari

October 7, 2005 Flag

This tip is for removing purple stains (Pedialyte) on white cotton shirts.

October 5, 2010 Flag

How do I clean stains left after washing and drying my laundry?

By Thomas

Answers:

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

Please read Archives at bottom of page. I think you'll find the answer. (09/05/2010)

By MCW

September 5, 2010 Flag

How do I remove set in stains?

By Debbie from NY

Answers:

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

I often end up with "new" stains on clothing, especially from hubby. Then best luck I have had, is using Simple Green on them. I wet the stain first, then spray till soaking with the Simple Green, and let it sit overnight, then wash the next morning. It may not take all of the stain out, but it looks better than before. (08/03/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

My sister swears by what she calls "brown soap". I had some stains on a tee shirt that had been through the dryer and I thought it was done since the strains had been "cooked" in the dryer. She gave me a bar of brown soap, I wet the shirt and rubbed the soap over the stains and washed again. Lo and behold, the stains were gone! She said every supermarket has brown soap and it's dirt cheap and I'm sure it has been around for a long, long time. (08/06/2010)

By DorothyNYC

August 3, 2010 Flag

I shop at consignment stores for my eBay store and I have several things with set in stains on them. I have tried everything from Dawn and Clorox 2 to carpet cleaner. Nothing works. Please help!

Victoria from Greenwood, AR

Answers:

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

A friend told me to try Goo-Gone. I did on a black grease stain and it worked. The stain was on a red shirt and it came out. I'm sure it would work on a white shirt as well. Good luck! (04/24/2008)

By LAKELL

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

I frequently buy used clothes from yard sales, and thrift shops. I had purchased a 100% cotton button-down blouse that was white with black and tan small flowers print. The shirt was covered in large yellow stains (probably the reason it was donated to the church thrift store). One sleeve looked as if it was dunked in the offending liquid.

I tried first by using my trusty "Shout" stick and washing in warm water per label instructions, that didn't make any difference in the stains. Next I came here and tried some of the tips suggested above. I mixed dish soap (Dawn) with borax and scrubbed the paste in the stains with a toothbrush. They didn't move. Next I scrubbed the stains with bleach and liquid laundry soap, set them in the washer with boiling water overnight and washed first thing in the am with hot water. That faded them some, but they were still noticeable and not one (even the very small) had disappeared altogether. Finally in frustration, I soaked the shirt in lemon juice, wrung it out and set it out in a very sunny place to hang and dry. The stains are now completely gone! Not a trace anywhere. It's hard to say if the whole lot of treatments finally "wore them out" or if it was the lemon juice and sunshine that would have won the day after all. Thanks for all the help! (06/13/2008)

By Ann

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

I had bought Simple Green spray as an alternative to 409. I didn't like the way it worked for that, so I put it beside the laundry to try using it as a stain remover.

Boy, did it work! Stains that had been set in clothes for 5-6 years that I thought would never come out (re-washing it several times over had turned it into a "perma-stain" came right out in one wash. I now use it for all my stains! (10/07/2008)

By mpfickling

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

This is to Lar about stains on a white shirt. Try a dishwasher detergent and water solution. Soak as long as needed. I have the best luck with the powder Cascade, but it does take some stirring to dissolve it. (10/24/2008)

By Toebeanie

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

For removing tomato stains and red chili, after washing normally, just set in the sun. It fades away surprisingly quickly. (10/28/2008)

By Estrada

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

I know that for those orange-ish water stains on white clothing. A product called Iron Out works like a charm! (12/10/2008)

By Jessica

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

Try a bit of dishwashing liquid mixed with warm water. Soak the stain 5-10 minutes and lightly scrub with a toothbrush or between your hands. Rinse thoroughly. Then mix room temperature water with white vinegar 50/50. Soak the stain for 5-10 minutes and rinse thoroughly. Repeat the step above with the dishwashing soap. Rinse thoroughly then launder if necessary. If it's a lighter garment, you can add a tiny bit of regular bleach to the dishwashing soap and water solution.

For carpet stains: Do as above, but add just a bit of regular bleach to the dishwashing liquid steps, but do NOT use regular bleach for darker carpets! Also, do not scrub the stains on your carpet, just soak and blot up the liquids. These steps have taken out set carpet stains, pet urine stains, and even soy sauce out of my beige speckled carpet! (Part of the carpet was quite darker in color and the tiny bit of bleach didn't hurt it, but, again, I wouldn't risk it on darker carpets. (01/29/2009)

By Kathy W.

April 23, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsMarch 13, 2012
sweat stain on dark clothing
Removing Underarm Sweat Stains from Clothing
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Baby being fed with formula.
Removing Baby Formula Stains from Clothing
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 4:05:07 PM on 10.0.2.150 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.