Storing Bananas

If you put your bananas in a plastic grocery bag, in the bottom crisper drawer of your refrigerator, they will keep for about a week before turning black.

By C.L.C

Great, thanks!

When our bananas are about to get too dark, we slice em up, put them on a cookie sheet lined with plastic wrap and freeze them. Once they are frozen they go into a plastic zip top bag and are good to go for smoothies.

Wrap bananas individually in foil & keep in fridge. The skin will go black but the inside will be good for up to 2 weeks. Spook.

IF your bananas already have some brown spots; they are best stored at room temp on a banana hanger to avoid bruising.

Storing in a paper or plastic bag only accelerates the ripening process because the gases given off by bananas that accelerate ripening are trapped. So unless you want to ripen all your bananas faster; do NOT store them in bags!

Storing in the fridge is fine and will turn the skins black but that has nothing to do with the fruit inside. It will be perfectly fine for days after the skin turns black.

If you do want to ripen the bananas faster; put them in a bag with an apple. The ethylene gases given off by the apple will greatly accelerate the ripening process.

When you bring back your bananas from the shop break the bananas off the hand and store the bananas seperately. They last much longer that way.

Monique :)

I got the dollar store green bags.. 16 in a bag for $5 few days later they were $4. They really work! I have a banana a day and at the end of the week whats left isd still nice and yellow. no black spots at all and all I do is fold the bag under,no twisting or tying. Just rinse the bag dry it and re-use. Plus there are 16 bags in the box. A lot more then we would use so I shared them with a friend.

I purchased the special "green bags" and they did not work for me. I put the fruit/vegetables in the bag, folded it over as instructed. I did not see that carrots, lettuce, bananas or anything lasted more than about 3 days longer than usual. It was a waste of money.

A bunch of bananas.
Storing Bananas
Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitApril 3, 2009
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
Dried Bananas
Recipes Using Dried Bananas
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
mashed bananas in baggie
Freezing Overripe Bananas
🎄