Hand Cream Recipe for Extra Dry Skin

I have a terrible time in the winter with dry skin. I do housecleaning, so my hands are in the water a lot so it's probably no wonder! Anyway, I was working last Friday afternoon and the lady I was working for told me about a concoction she had heard about for extra dry skin. Let me tell you, I went out and bought the stuff and made it and it has already helped me very, very much!

By the way, everything cost me a total of $4 at the Dollar General Store. If you buy some of the hand lotions and creams on the market, especially the ones for extra dry skin problems, you know that you pay way more than that. I was impressed by how much this made! You'll need a container about the size of a Cool Whip container or maybe slightly larger and you need to make sure it has a lid. This smells so nice! Here is what you need!

Extra Dry Hand Cream

Ingredients

Directions

Mix all together. Works great!

By Robin from Washington, IA

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

My American Indian grandmother used Petrolatum for most every sort of skin problem and lived to be very old. However, I have to wash my hands so often because we have had the flu, that between my fingers is dry, chapped, nearly blistered, and that's with using "Sensitive Soap" for dishes. I've tried applying Vit. E oil, with little results, used every sort of lotion made, even straight Coconut Oil, but must now use latex gloves, avoiding hot water.

Baby lotion is mineral oil, which is supposed to enlarge pores with time. Because I have naturally large pores, I cannot afford to use it.

I'm considering the membrane of a freshly cracked raw egg which has worked for me for many things. Perhaps I'll write to Thrifty if it works for this dry skin thing. God bless you. : )

Robin, I posted this several weeks ago...it must be floating around Iowa.

Editor's Note: Elaine, I'm sorry that I posted this so close to your post. I didn't even notice that the ingredients were the same.

I have only see Vitamin E oil at Wal-mart. Is there a vitamin E cream?

Robin, that is ok.....honest mistake. To the one person who asked, yes, you can get Vitamin E in cream form. I buy mine at Dollar General but I am sure you can get it at Walmart also.

Of course, gloved hand protection is always best. Rinse hands with vinegar (it'll help return the skin to it's natural PH) then apply some Glycerin, followed by either Petrolatum or A&D Ointment. Did you know that Petroleum Jelly was originally marketed because it was seen that Oil Riggers hands healed very quickly? Petrolatum is a by-product of oil drilling.

I don't get it. please help. email me at halfhalfgirl45 AT yahoo.com. Please help. Thank you

I was going to suggest the same thing I use for my dry feet in winter, at night slather petroleum jelly on your hands and put on some cheap cotton gloves, in the morning your hands will be better.

Other things that work are cocoa butter lotion, petroleum cream, anything that says creme is usually thicker and will stay on longer.

Also you can try hand sanitizer with aloe, this will keep the flu germs from floating around and wont dry out your hands as much as washing them will.

Good luck summers almost here!

Another great help is olive oil! Mix it with your favorite lotion or just straight. I mix it with sugar for an exfoliating scrub. Also, if you drink a tablespoon or so a day (I put it in OJ and just gulp it down) you'll also see dry skin problems ease a bit. Pretty basic but it works and is completely natural.

my mother has used this recipe for years! She has the most beautiful skin in all of Oklahoma!!! She uses it year round and has really soft skin. Her heels are just beautiful!! She has even experimented with different scented oils, but it smells good how it is. she has ruined a lot of house shoes, but she feels it is worth is to have beautiful skin!! That she does have!

Oh and my mother also gets all of her stuff at the dollar general for $1 each! It lasts a while too

I have check at all my Wal-marts and they only carry a Vitamin E oil, not the cream. Any suggestions where I might find Vitamin E Cream?

Thanks, Nolasandy

check out recipes for homemade hand cream and oil by clicking on the below link:)

http://www.helium.com/items/879992-homemade-beauty-remedies-handsthe

""Baby lotion is mineral oil, which is supposed to enlarge pores with time. Because I have naturally large pores, I cannot afford to use it.

""

How is this possible? Thanks

I have used Vaseline all my life on face, hands & legs. It works I have no wrinkles, also wear rubber gloves when washing dishes & etc in water. Take care of your skin, no body else will. Good luck.

Mineral Oils (Vaseline and Baby oil) are definitely worth avoiding. As they are nutrient barren all the fat soluble nutrients in your skin are drawn to them and get washed off when the oil goes. I'm sure it won't kill you but may decrease the quality of your life. It can be very difficult to get any cream that isn't based on a mineral oil but using olive oil or any other plant based oil is a great way to get around the issue. I also used to have much trouble with my hands so I switched to using vinegar and bicarb for most cleaning jobs and invested in a dishwasher. Now I have no issue. If you clean for a living I know this may not be viable but trying to use products that are as natural as possible will help. Good Luck.

Comment

Health & Beauty Beauty Body HandsFebruary 21, 2008
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Dry Sunburned Skin Remedies
Remedies for Dry Sunburned Skin
Homemade Shave Cream
Homemade Shaving Cream Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 23, 2016 at 12:12:18 PM on 10.0.0.251 in 565 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.