AdviceGardening

Bushes With Yellow Flowers

Every place I look I see these beautiful bushes full of yellow flowers (they have several flowers on each branch), does anyone know what they are called? And how would you start one of them?

Thanks you!
Katie from PA

I believe the bushes you are seeing in the spring are forsythia. I live in Maryland and they are pretty abundant and do well in this climate. They are available at almost any Home Depot, Lowes or a nursery. I like them best when they are kept trimmed. Good luck!

Sheri

Small yellow flowers? Forsythia?

Yes, you are probably looking at forsythia. They only flower in the spring, they will be green the rest of the season. You should be able to buy one at any garden center.

They are probably Esperanzas! They grow well in hot weather and if they freeze back, will come back again. They can be grown from seeds (so ask someone who has one for some seeds, or if they're in a public place, just help yourself!). If they don't sprout right away, be patient. When the weather gets really hot, they will sprout!

They are called Forsythia bushes but some people have called them "Yellow Bells" because of their yellow flowers that look like tiny bells. They are beautiful and full of Springtime. They can grow quite freely and get tall and bushy if left alone. They can be trimmed into a hedge if planted close together but I like them best if they are left to grow naturally with an occasional trimming to keep them the size that is managable for you.

I wanted to add that you can take a cutting from one, put it in water (change daily) and it should root in a few weeks.

I beleive you are seeing Forsythia, they bloom every spring and once the flowers are gone they stay green for the rest of the season.

Forsythia is very hardy even growing in Zone 3 - 4. In February you can cut off a branch(good pruning) and place it in water inside. It will bloom and give you a head start on "Spring"

I can only think its forsythia you're seeing. They're easy to root I understand. So if you want one, ask for a few cutting and stick them into the ground. You may be pleasantly surprised... smiles

Oh thank you all! You are right they are Forsythia...I will definately try to get some started!! Thank you very much for all your input!!!! Thanks!!

Could they be forsythia (sp)?