What Is This Flower?

Identifying a flower whether a volunteer in the garden, a gift, or an unidentified bargain find can sometimes be difficult. This is a guide about What Is This Flower?.

Can someone identify a plant for me?

By Caralee

Answers

Best Answer

Looks like a Bat Orchid.

Best Answer

Yes, Betty Korn is correct. I did some research and found this and the link
if anyone is interested www.easyorchids.co.uk/.../Tacca-chantieri-Black-Beauty-BAT...

Beauty', Bat Plant
Tacca chantieri 'Black Beauty', Bat Plant

These fantastic tropical plants are not orchids The plants like heat and humidity (like Vanda and Phalaenopsis) and stand approximately 28 inches high! The flowers are deepest purple and are almost black and 8 inches across with 10 inch whiskers dangling down super warm conservatory plants.

We saw these growing out of cracks in a parking lot this morning. They are really pretty. What are they?

By lalala... from Port Orchard, WA

Answers

Best Answer

Without going online to make absolutely sure, I'd say the flower is a Sweet Pea.

Anybody know what this flower is? It is growing on a large, thorny bush. I thought at first it might be a rose bush but the buds are tiny, tiny and very fragrant!

Charlene Woods from Stafford, VA

Answers

By Survivalwoman (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Wild Rose , I grew up in Mid TN and The Smell Wafts across areas the brambles resemble black berry but you will find tiny tatsefull vit c packed rosehips in early to mid winter that have a tart and peculiarly satisfying tatse. (as a child it was like winter candy that grew on bushes)

What is the name of the white flower in this photo? I purchased the plant at a home improvement store without a tag. It is growing in zone 8, west coast of central Florida, and survived last winter in the ground with minimum mulch. It roots very easily and quickly from cuttings using rooting hormone.

By Donna from Crystal River, FL

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like cat's whiskers to me.

Best Answer

Thanks for your help! Because of the shape of the flower I believe it is "Cat's Whiskers". It roots so easy I started three more pots today!

Best Answer

Orthosiphon aristatus, medicinal herb
Wikipedia : "It has been used for many centuries as a treatment for ailments of the kidney, bladder stone, urinary tract infection, liver and bladder problems, diabetes, rheumatism and gout. It is also used to reduce cholesterol and blood pressure. It is believed to have antiallergic, antihypertensive, anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties, and is used as a remedy for arteriosclerosis (capillary and circulatory disorders).

It has a mild diuretic action, so it is very useful for flushing the kidneys and urinary tract. It also relieves spasms of the smooth muscle in the walls of the internal organs, making it valuable for gallbladder problems. Researchers have found it to be mildly antiseptic as well."

I would appreciate finding the names of these two flowers. Anyone out there that can tell me? Thanks for taking time to answer. GG Vi

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Vi from Moorpark, CA

Answers

Best Answer

The blue one is a peruvian lily. They're gorgeous, but smell like cat urine if any part of the plant is bruised.

Can anybody tell me the name of this flower? This is the first year it has come up.

By Jamie E

Answers

Best Answer

I think it is a hollyhock.

I call this an "orange morning glory" because it behaves and has similar characteristics to a morning glory. It has leaves, seed pods, and seeds like a morning glory, but the size and shape is different.

By nonniebeth from Rome, GA

Answers

Best Answer

I've never seen anything like it. If it were white with pink-blush centers, I would say the shape and the size of the flowers look like bindweed; but the color looks like trumpet vine. Need more info to make an identification with any degree of certainty. Can you get a close-up of the leaves (with fingers or flowers for scale), and a more distant shot to show how the plant grows - twining, sprawling, bush, whatever?

I was given this flower. It spreads like crazy and comes back every year. It closes up in the evening and opens in the morning. The yellow flowers last a week or two.

Answers

Best Answer

Your plant is a primrose. Commonly called Sun Drops. They do spread like crazy but the roots are very shallow so they're pretty easy to thin out. I usually take a shovel and slide it right under the plants in the fall so there's not so many of them the next spring.

What is this flower? I found it growing along the side of the road in central Florida.

By Donna from Crystal River, FL

Answers

Best Answer

That is Lambs Ear. The leaves should be very furry and soft.

Attached is a photo of a small shrub I bought with small flowers. Can anyone tell me what it's called?

By lahib

Answers

Best Answer

This is a purple balloon flower. It should be a perennial, meaning it will come back if covered properly over the winter.

Every place I look I see these beautiful bushes full of yellow flowers (they have several flowers on each branch), does anyone know what they are called? And how would you start one of them?

Thanks you!
Katie from PA

Answers

By (Guest Post)

I believe the bushes you are seeing in the spring are forsythia. I live in Maryland and they are pretty abundant and do well in this climate. They are available at almost any Home Depot, Lowes or a nursery. I like them best when they are kept trimmed. Good luck!
Sheri

Small yellow flowers? Forsythia?

Yes, you are probably looking at forsythia. They only flower in the spring, they will be green the rest of the season. You should be able to buy one at any garden center.

By Barbara Mickan (Guest Post)

They are probably Esperanzas! They grow well in hot weather and if they freeze back, will come back again. They can be grown from seeds (so ask someone who has one for some seeds, or if they're in a public place, just help yourself!). If they don't sprout right away, be patient. When the weather gets really hot, they will sprout!

By cONNIE a. (Guest Post)

They are called Forsythia bushes but some people have called them "Yellow Bells" because of their yellow flowers that look like tiny bells. They are beautiful and full of Springtime. They can grow quite freely and get tall and bushy if left alone. They can be trimmed into a hedge if planted close together but I like them best if they are left to grow naturally with an occasional trimming to keep them the size that is managable for you.

I wanted to add that you can take a cutting from one, put it in water (change daily) and it should root in a few weeks.

By Marguerite (Guest Post)

I beleive you are seeing Forsythia, they bloom every spring and once the flowers are gone they stay green for the rest of the season.

Here is an image of a flower that a friend posted on Facebook and I am trying to figure out the name of it. It is growing in the lower south region of the US. Can someone help me identify it?

They're dark purple on the edges and light purple in the center.