How Do I Get Rid of that Fried Smell after Cooking?

I fried pancakes 2 days ago and can't get rid of the fried oil smell. Can anybody help?

By Maziebabe from Redditch

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

There are oodles of great ideas in the ThriftyFun Archives below the comments here. Just scroll down. I love the citrus peel idea but the others will work too. :-)

First off, check that none of the oil has spilled into the burner pans. Wipe down the stove and wall behind the cooking area with white vinegar. Then wipe with plain water. Nehmah

For me, I'll do the same thing is to clean but when you are actually doing it open the windows or doors so that it'll take the smell away that's what I usually do when I cook things.

Answer

How do I get rid of that fried smell that saturates the house after cooking in the kitchen? I fried chicken tonight and now have to smell this, and what is worse, I live in an apartment, and the apartment will be shut up when I'm not home (living on ground level). Thanks for your responses!

smileycherry8

Place a couple of bowls of straight vinegar in the kitchen. (07/08/2004)

By Lee-Ann

I light a candle before I start cooking. It always works for me. (07/08/2004)

By starla

Either boil lemon or orange peels or like Lee-Ann said, put a small bowl of vinegar next to the stove while frying, it works great! You can also heat it in the microwave to get the icky smell out of the microwave oven. (07/11/2004)

By Melissa R

Another way to deal with cooking odors is: saturate a cotton ball with vanilla extract. Set it, in a shallow container, in an out-of-the-way place, like on a window sill, on top of your cabinets (if they don't run clear to the ceiling), on top of the fridge, etc. I use an old jar lid as a container, it's not meant to be decorative, just useful! (07/14/2004)

By Becki in IN

I bought a box fan for $10. I usually set it in the window turned the other way ie., the air blowing outwards from the window. The works beautifully like an exhaust. (07/19/2004)

By Sara

Run the stove's exhaust vent, keep a lid on the pot and use an air cleaner in the kitchen during and after cooking. (06/17/2005)

By cookwie

I realize that I am late to this post, but place a cinnamon stick or powder in a pot of water on the stove while you are cooking and turn on the fan over the stove while cooking and keep on the stove afterwards. (How do you like that for a run-on sentence?) The cinnamon makes your dwelling smell like potpourri. I am sure that other scents will work as well. (07/24/2007)

By Frederick

I saturate a tiny clay pot with essential oil, a strong one like clove, or spearmint. Keep it on a counter. I re-oil it about every 2-3 weeks. Since it's so small it doesn't take much oil. I also have an plug oil diffuser (Body Shop and usually Wild Oats). If it's intense, I just put my oil of choice on the diffuser pad and plug it in. They are wonderful, I don't like the sprays, but have been using oils for years. (07/24/2007)

By cjjones from Camas, WA

Add some vanilla imitation extract to the vinegar. This eliminates the cooking odor and also the vinegar smell. I tried it and it works like a charm. My friends tried it and they are thrilled too. (04/01/2008)

By helping mom

I tried the vanilla tip by 'helping mom" it worked, but I also boiled some powdered cloves in water and it that removed all the fried smells immediately! Great suggestions by everyone! (12/18/2008)

By saks

I purchased a product called What Odor? It has completely eliminated all odor's I've tried it on. I recommend this to you. (06/08/2009)

By boyoiman

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Odors from cooking food.
Removing Cooking Odors From Your Home
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsDecember 14, 2010
Getting Rid of the Smell from a Plugin Air Freshener
Pile of stinky clothing.
Getting Cooking Oil Smell Out of Clothing
Fried ice cream.
Fried Ice Cream Recipes
Fried Dill Pickle Chip Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 2, 2016 at 8:10:09 AM on 10.0.0.98 in 401 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.