Mop Reviews

Category Cleaning
When it's time to by a new mop, it can be helpful to hear other peoples experiences with their mops before making your purchase. This is a guide about mop reviews.

Ok everybody out there, what type of mop do you use? I am looking for some advice on a good one. I have been using the Libman mop where you pull this handle down and it's supposed to wring the water out for you, but it doesn't do a very good job, so I wring it out myself. What is a good mop to buy?

Thanks for any help,
Teresa from VA

Best Answer

I have used the Swiffer but it doesn't seem to do as good as a job as I like. I will use it when I just want to quickly clean my floors But I end up on my hands and knees cleaning my floors - call me picky but I think the effort is worth it when I want a good clean floor.

Best Answer

I've tried sponge mops, swiffer wet mops (not the jet kind), scrubber mops, string mops with various cleaners; ammonia, pine sol, bleach water, mop n glow, acrylic shine cleaner, and I'm never satisfied. My floors don't shine, and often still have dirt in the textured linoleum we have!

So I use my sponge mop for every day cleaning, or the swiffer, sweep every night. Every so often, I hit the floor (huge!) on my hands and knees and use a rag and elbow grease. The last time I did this, I used Murphy's Oil soap with water and finally got the shine I've been looking for, but what a work out.

Still looking for an easier way.

Best Answer

I would caution against purchasing the Libman Nitty Gritty Mop. It works great, but I've had two and neither lasted over a year. The metal handle rusts completely through where it joins the plastic mop head. They replaced the first one, but refused to replace the second. Kinda dumb when you think of it. I was spending $60 to $70 a year on refills and now I won't buy any of their products.

Best Answer

I use the Libman Big Tornado Twist Mop; you twist it and it clicks into place to wring out the mop so you never have to touch the dirty water or mop.

Best Answer

I use the new Shark 'steam' mop on tile and laminate flooring. It's great, works like a charm. No heavy buckets, no chemicals and no spills. Also, I don't have to go over the floor to get rid of suds or streaks.

Since it steams the floors, they're practically sanitized. I was able to buy it at Big Lots for $55.

Best Answer

I like the idea of the pvc pipe mop. I've had the Libmans nitty grtty dirt mop, a Mr clean wring-handle mop, some kind of white and blue old fashioned mop and a Sams club utility broom/brush. For cleaning power the broom/brush wins, since you can really scrub. However, like the rest of the mops, the handle bent, which means I have to replace it. I seem to have the wrong idea about mopping. If the floor doesn't get clean enough right away, I mop harder. Wood breaks, metal bends, and hilarity ensues. I'll try PVC next, and the towel.

I've tried lots of different things but still like the plain old fashioned "rag" type mop - the purchased T type - with an old towel. As camoangels said, they can be tossed in the washer when I'm finished.

Everyone in my house prefers the old fashion type of mop, yes , the ones with the removable machine washable heads are nice. But, we like the mop buckets (got mine at Walmart), that you ring the mop out on the bucket, we get a full mop clean, with the ringing out on the bucket. And it gets a good wring on it too. I live in the country, with kids and pets, and this is something we need often.

Ah that swifter mop thing works ok I guess after you have cleaned the floor. I suppose it will be good for light cleaning but if you have to actually get the floor clean I would suggest you look elsewhere.

The Libman is horrible. All it does is move the dirt around. My sister has a mop that works really great. I think it's by Mr. Clean. You can wash the white microfiber cover over and over again.