Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Mop Reviews

Ok everybody out there, what type of mop do you use? I am looking for some advice on a good one. I have been using the Libman mop where you pull this handle down and it's supposed to wring the water out for you, but it doesn't do a very good job, so I wring it out myself. What is a good mop to buy?

Thanks for any help,
Teresa from VA

By frank06/05/2010

I like the idea of the pvc pipe mop. I've had the Libmans nitty grtty dirt mop, a Mr clean wring-handle mop, some kind of white and blue old fashioned mop and a Sams club utility broom/brush. For cleaning power the broom/brush wins, since you can really scrub. However, like the rest of the mops, the handle bent, which means i have to replace it. I seem to have the wrong idea about mopping. If the floor doesn't get clean enough right away, i mop harder. Wood breaks, metal bends, and hilarity ensues. I'll try PVC next, and the towel.

By Mary 11/05/2009

The Libman is horrible. All it does is move the dirt around. My sister has a mop that works really great. I think it's by Mr. Clean. You can wash the white microfiber cover over and over again.

By Evelyn Mayer [2]02/02/2009

I use the new Shark 'steam' mop on tile & laminate flooring. It's great, works like a charm...no heavy buckets, no chemical& no spills. Also, don't have to go over the floor to get rid of suds or streaks.
Since it steams the floors, they're practically sanitized. I was able to buy it at Big Lots for $55.

By (Guest Post)12/28/2007

I use the Libman Big Tornado Twist Mop; you twist it and it clicks into place to wring out the mop so you never have to touch the dirty water or mop.

By John in MD (Guest Post)09/30/2007

Ah that swifter mop thing works ok I guess after you have cleaned the floor. I suppose it will be good for light cleaning but if you have to actually get the floor clean I would suggest you look elsewhere.

By Jim Farrington (Guest Post)07/11/2007

I would caution against purchasing the Libman Nitty Gritty Mop. It works great, but I've had two and neither lasted over a year. The metal handle rusts completely through where it joins the plastic mop head. They replaced the first one, but refused to replace the second. Kinda dumb when you think of it. I was spending $60 to $70 a year on refills and now I won't buy any of their products.

By Glinda (Guest Post)03/02/2006

Everyone in my house prefers the old fashion type of mop, yes , the ones with the removable machine washable heads are nice. But, we like the mop buckets (got mine at Walmart), that you ring the mop out on the bucket, we get a full mop clean, with the ringing out on the bucket. And it gets a good wring on it too. I live in the country, with kids and pets, and this is something we need often.

By Sandra03/02/2006

I've tried sponge mops, swiffer wet mops (not the jet kind), scrubber mops, string mops...amonia, pine sol, bleach water, mop n glow, acrylic shine cleaner...and I'm never satisfied - my floors don't shine, and often still have DIRT in the textured linoleum we have!

So I use my sponge mop for every day cleaning, or the swiffer, sweep every night, but every so often I hit the floor (huge!) on my hands and knees and use a rag and elbow grease. The last time I did this, I used Murphy's Oil soap w/water and FINALLY got the shine I've been looking for - but what a work out.

Still looking for an easier way,

slw

By Darlene (Guest Post)03/02/2006

I have used the Swiffer but it doesn't seem to do as good as a job as I like. I will use it when I just want to quickly clean my floors But I end up on my hands and knees cleaning my floors - call me picky but I think the effort is worth it when I want a good clean floor.

By Karen (Guest Post)03/02/2006

I've tried lots of different things but still like the plain old fashioned "rag" type mop - the purchased T type - with an old towel. As camoangels said, they can be tossed in the washer when I'm finished.

By Carol (Guest Post)03/01/2006

If you try Swiffer, you'll never want another kind of mop... Dont forget to use a wet wipe on the bottom..

By Kelly [15]03/01/2006

Actually, you need to twist it, i made the mistake of just pushing it down, but it is just a no mess way of wring twisting. I love the chamois material of the mop, after I got through that step (my husband pointed it out the first time I used it) then I'd never use another besides the Cuban Mop: buy pvc at hardware store, make a T shape (about the heighth to your shoulder, we used 1", but may want shorter diameter.) Use an old bathtowel, wet it, wring it and fold over the T (so it drapes over) spray your cleaner and push. EVERYTHING attaches to the towel. Turn the towel over and go at it again with the clean side. You can drape a dry towel over to dry it quick. Then just throw towel in washer. The nice thing is that you can turn it sideways to get in to real narrow places traditional mops can't. Builds up the muscle tone in your arms, but you'll have the CLEANEST floor. We used clorox cleanup or Formula 409, even mop & Glo, so we never needed a bucket. The only wringing you do is when you first wet the towel. My husband is half Cuban, and this is way he was taught and had always seen it done while growing up. Our first home was all linoleum downstairs, and it was the most efficient system for cleaning. PVC pipe is supercheap, and the old towels, if you don't have any, you can pick up cheap at local thrift stores.