Using a Steam Mop

Category Floors
A steam mop is an environmentally way to clean your floors. This is a guide about using a steam mop.

The water in my area is horrible. I love my Shark steam mop, but the water here stops it up. I find if you run vinegar and water in it, it keeps the floors squeaky clean and the machine running great. It also works great for your car window wash fluid too.

By Kimberly from Lakeland, FL

Anyone use the H2O mop?

By Colleen from Dayton, OH

Answers

Best Answer

I have an H2O mop and I love it. I have a day care in my home and use it every day after the kids leave. It's easy to fill, gets into corners, uses no soap, so it's better for kids, uses washable cloths, so it's frugal, and works quickly, with no scrubbing...sure saves the knees! The pointed head gets right into the corners and in behind the toilet. Heats up fast and doesn't take up much room. I got mine at Canadian Tire. Zellers and Walmart also sell them. I would advise buying it from a store, then if you don't like it, you can return it without them keeping the "shipping and handling fees".

Best Answer

I have had three H20 Mops over the past 18 months. The first two failed within a few months. Each time Bed Bath & Beyond did the right thing and replaced it. The third one today failed and no longer heats up. This one did last longer than the other 2 (about 7 months, but it had less usage too) and it also had its own problems. The handle could not remain in the upright position. We hated this but felt taking it back was too much hassle.

This product is junk. Customer service is a joke. It's too bad, because when they worked they cleaned nicely. But Thane (the manufacturer) builds a crappy product that won't last, and they will not stand behind it. The "testimonials" on the website, I believe, are false. I have posted my dissatisfaction, and they have never appeared. Nor have they bothered to contact me.

Kudos to BB&B for their great customer service. I understand they no longer carry these in stores. I wonder why?

Oh, the latest wrinkle is that Thane now states the failure is due to not changing the water filter. And now Thane states on the troubleshooting tips on their website that you must replace every 3 months if the mop is used 3 times per week?? The filters on the website are listed for 17.95 / 2-pack. Let's see.... that's 4 filters per year, and additional $36.00 (+shipping). They didn't mention in the ad, did they? They claim you're able to get them at your local retailer? Ask around. The only thing you'll get is a deer in the headlights stare! It's a shame our consumer agency allows this company to bring this faulty product in the US. What a joke.

I am going to try and return this to BB&B. I hope they will refund my money. Of course they should be compensated by Thane, but I doubt that would happen, especially if the vendor support is anything like their customer service!

So bottom line; You are now supposed to replace your filter every 3 months, thus, Thane is simply saying don't expect the mop to last much longer than 3 months. That is their "truth in advertising," I guess.

Stay away and don't waste your money! Save yourself the hassle and forget about buying one of these.

PS: I am sure that some law firm could easily have a huge class action claim against Thane. This is a no brainer!

Best Answer

Gr8 cleaner, but there is no way to lock it in an upright position. I used it for 3 months, leaned it against wall, it slid down and the mop section plastic snapped and broke away from handle unit, rendered it useless. The warranty is up and it would cost too much to ship for repairs, plus cost of repairs, and ship back to me. I don't think I'll buy another!

I'm thinking about getting a Shark cleaning mop and I'd like to know if anyone else has one and do they like it. I'm not sure about cleaning with just water.

By Mshelly from Hephzibah, GA

Answers

I checked out the Shark, and got an "H2O Mop" instead, because the Shark has an oblong head, while the H2O has a triangular head. I find the H2O fits into the corners and tight places, like behind the toilet, better because of the head shape. As to cleaning with water, it is the steam that you are cleaning with, not the hot water. The steam does a great job of cleaning and disinfecting floors. I use it on kitchen vinyl, bathroom ceramic, as well as on my hardwood floors and it works great.

I have one and really love it!

I have a shark and really like it. But then my house doesn't get really dirty either (I'm lucky for once!) I also appreciate the reduction in the amount of chemicals I dump into my septic tank.

I just got one and so far I love it. It came with 2 different heads, rectangular and triangle, and a carpet glider. I have cleaned my laminate floors, and bathroom/laundry room tile and they feel so clean. It even loosened all the build up from hair product over spray.

I have it and like it.
The non-cotton pads glide better than the cotton pads. This is for smooth floors - not tile floors with jagged edges! Wish they had an on and off switch for fingertip control instead of having to unplug the unit.

I just purchased one at Walmart a few weeks ago, for $79. So far I love it, but wished it came with more than 2 pads. Works great on bathroom tile, laminate, and the old linoleum flooring (we are rehabbing our home built in 1959). I was surprised at how deep it cleaned on the old floor. As far as the pads go, I toss them in with whites and a little bleach and they are as good as new. Thinking about crocheting a few pads for it and will let you know how they came out :o)

We just bought an older, refurbished home. The contractor/flipper put dark laminate flooring in the livingroom and bedrooms. I have always had reservations about this type of flooring, because of the water spotting, etc.

Has anyone successfully used a steam mop on laminate? and if not, what do you use?

Thanks.

By Barbara

I have purchased a steam mop and I notice that it leaves more water on the floor than I would like. Any tips on using the steam mop with less water results?

By grandmasusan from Atikokan, ON

Answers

I suggest to go to their site, get a phone number, call them, tell them your problem, and search for "contact their inc name". Good luck.

I am looking to buy a steam mop and am confused as to which one to buy. Does anyone out there have one and/or can anyone recommend a good one?

az2010 from East Hampton, MA

Answers

I purchased the Shark Steam Mop and so far, it's been great. I had a Laminated floor put in the Kitchen and it does a fantastic job on that...afterwards, I just place the pad in a tub with Woolite, and let set overnight...hand rinse in the morning... I'm happy!!

My sister-in-law has a H2O mop. She says it works good.

I have an "H2O" Mop. It has a triangular shaped head that actually gets into all the corners! I have hardwood floors and it dulls them, but if you walk around in socks for a few hours, the shine comes back as good as new. I also use it in my bathroom. On ceramic tiles, it works great. Gets in behind the toilet. Easy to use and the cloths go into the washer. I bought extra cloths and do a load of them once a week. I have a home day care and wash my floors with this every day. Love it!

I also bought a Shark Steam mop, mine from Bon-Ton. I honestly didn't look at any other mops. I had seen the infomercial a long time ago for this mop, but didn't want to spend the money on it. Then two coworkers each bought one and they had me sold for sure. It's easy and fast to use, and the two pads it comes with are machine washable.

I bought my Shark steam mop from BJ's - best price plus 5 pads. I love it!

I am looking to purchase a steam mop or cleaner. I have tried one and was very unhappy with it. There are so many to pick from, I would like to hear from other buyers on what their experiences have been and if they have found one they are happy with. Thank you.

By Elsie J.

I recently purchased the Shark Steam Mop and I like it, however it leaves a dull streaky finish on my floors. I have laminate (Pergo) and tile. It's doing it on both. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do?

By AMerrill from Galesburg, IL

I just used a Bissell steam mop on my hardwood floors and in several areas there are white cloudy rings forming as it dried. How can I fix this problem?

By Jacqueline from Benton, AR

Does anyone know of a cleaning solution that can be used in the H20 steam mop?

By motleycrew from IN

Answers

I thought the whole idea with the h2o mop was that you didn't need cleaning solutions.

I agree. I have a Shark Steam mop. You only use water in it. If you have a very dirty floor, you can spray something on the floor and use the steam mop to finish.

Can you use a steam mop on pergo flooring?

Sandy from Annapolis, MD

Answers

I wouldn't, steam will cause glue in pergo material to break down and warp. Best product I've used for my wood floors is Murphys Oil soap. Wring mop as dry as you can or water will settle in cracks and warp.

Absolutely not. The steam will get into the Pergo and cause de-lamination. We use a little Windex on a sponge mop. It cleans very well and dries almost instantly.

Do I have to use anything else other than water in a steam mop?

By G H Hunt

Can you use the Enviro Steamer mop on congoleum type flooring? It's sheet type flooring, not sticky tiles?

By Linda from Walker, LA

I purchased an H2O mop advertised on TV. I have contacted Home Trends (since their name is shown as shipper) with a complaint about two months ago. I have never heard back from them. We decided it must be a short in the electrical system. When the mop produces steam and you put the handle down it stops completely. I have never received an acknowledgment from them. Can someone help me?

Leona

Answers

Anonymous

The H20 Mop is manufactured by Thane Direct USA, and you have a one year warranty. You can contact them by email or by sending them a fax. The link is to the Thane Direct website, their question and answer page. If you scroll down you will see a question about the warranty. Their contact information is there. I hope this brings good results for you.
http://www.than  /h2omop/faqs.php

I have the Shark Steam Mop S3101A. Instead of spending $40 for 4 extra pads I was wondering if anyone has used the microfiber cloths sold in the stores? Did you have to double it?

Charko from Deerfield Beach, FL

Will a steam mop clean lightly dirty carpets?

By Langdon

Can I use a solution of vinegar and water in my Holme steam mop to clean my carpet?

By Janice

I saw a bottle of Febreze for steam mops. Which steam mop can I use for it?

By Florence F

I just steam cleaned my wood floors with the Bissell Steam Mop and my floors have turned cloudy and look dirty. Any ideas out there to fix this? Bissell had nothing.

Laura from Lakeland, LA

Answers:

Bissell Steam Mop Made My Wood Floors Look Cloudy

Could it be that the steam lightened up the wax on the floor? It should go back to clear when dry. (04/30/2007)

By Diamondee

I think it is buildup on your floors from the Orange Glow. I used to use this and would get cloudy "areas" whenever I got water on the floors. I ended up having to strip the floors by hand with vinegar and water scrubbing with Teflon scrub sponge, big job, but I'm happy now.

Now I use my steam mop and love it, no chemicals no buildup. I used to like the look of the "shine" from the Orange Glow, but now I realize the original finish of my floors looks great without the buildup. (01/09/2009)

By Jenny

I'm looking for reviews on a product called the Steam Shark. Do you like it, and is it worth the price?

Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

Answers:

Anyone Used the Shark Steam Mop?

It works well on wood floors, but my tile has a little texture to it and it won't go across it so I end up mopping anyway. All in all, I now know I could've done without it. If I had smooth or slick floors all around I would probably like it more. I wish I had gotten something besides the Shark, something that I could also use by hand to clean cabinet fronts, etc. (08/13/2008)

By Mary

Anyone Used the Shark Steam Mop?

Okay, pad is hard to get on right and it's very hard to push, but it does get the job done, also pads are hard to wash. (08/15/2008)

By Erik

Anyone Used the Shark Steam Mop?

I love it. I used to clean my kitchen and bathroom floors on hands and knees, this only takes 5 minutes and the floors are clean. Sometimes you have to go over a couple of times, but they come out clean. The only thing the replacement pads seem to be a little pricey. I have not bought any yet so maybe they might come down in price, because it is so new. (08/18/2008)

By Fran

Anyone Used the Shark Steam Mop?

Shark Mop was junk. I have used both, the Shark and the H2O stem mops. I absolutely love the H2O mop. The Shark mop left a mess on my floors (laminate wood and tile), took much longer to dry than the H2O and the water chamber is much smaller. You also have to pump the water into the chamber on the Shark model, whereas the H2O is a constant flow of steam. I returned the Shark mop and kept the H2O mop. (01/04/2009)

By Jenn

Anyone Used the Shark Steam Mop?

I've had my Shark Steam Mop for about a year now and it's just about the only thing I use on my floors now. I love it. If my floors are extremely dirty (spills, mud, etc) I will damp mop it first. But otherwise I use the Steam Mop exclusively and my floors have never been cleaner. My white socks even stay white.

Sometimes I will add just a touch of Mr Clean with Febreze to the water, but usually I use plain tap water. It has an extremely long cord so I don't have to keep unplugging and plugging. It only takes about 15 seconds to heat up. And it's so lightweight it's very easy to use. And it dries in seconds, too.

The only problem I have with it, is the pads are fairly expensive. But I found a way around that, too. I found patterns (one knit, one crochet) to make my own pad covers for it and plan to make several.
I would, and have, recommend it to anyone. (04/19/2009)

By Cricketnc

Has anyone tried the Shark Steam mop? I saw that someone on here tried the H2O mop and didn't like it. The Shark is very similar. So I don't know if it is any better? I am looking for an easier way to clean my floors, tile and wood.

Glea

Answers:

Anyone Used the Shark Steam Mop?

I have a steam mop. And I love it! Mine is the Steamfast one. It was about $70? My hubby bought it for me. It just uses water. It can also break down and put different parts on so it's a hand held steamer as well. Which is great for cleaning some things. Not that I do it a lot! The only down fall is it only came with one cheap cloth cover. I made 3 more out of microfiber towels. My floors are clean!! and i don't have to really work! (elbow grease!) I use it all the time on my tile and often on my old wood floors.
(01/09/2008)

By heather

Anyone Used the Shark Steam Mop?

I recently bought a Shark steam mop and so far so good. I actually didn't try it out yet, hubby did! He used it on tile floor in the kitchen and eating area and it really looked nice and clean afterwards and it dried very quickly. There was no waiting for a really wet floor to dry like there is when you use a regular mop and bucket. Hubby thought it was a nice machine and seemed he got the floor done very quickly. It makes plenty of steam and you only use water in it! I want to use it a while to see that we really like it. I bought it from Target online. They were offering free shipping. I think with tax it came to around $80. It came with 2 pads and they are easy to wash in the washing machine. You never want to use bleach or fabric softener on the pads though! (01/10/2008)

By Debbie52

Anyone Used the Shark Steam Mop?

I bought the H2O mop and it was JUNK! I am going to get the shark, I see that it gets pretty good reviews in households similar to mine. (03/27/2008)

By shelley

Anyone Used the Shark Steam Mop?

I just got a Shark Steam mop for mother's day! What an awesome gift! This Mop went way above my expectations. I have OCDs when it comes to house cleaning and am used to washing the floor on hands and knees. Not anymore with this little whiz. This will no doubt be right up there with my swivel sweeper as things I can't live with out! * note if your floor is really dirty you may notice a bit of dirt and grime along the baseboards. No biggie grab a wipe and bam it's gone. SO if your on the fence about this mop, just buy it you will not be disappointed! (05/30/2008)

By Marcy W from Chicago

Anyone Used the Shark Steam Mop?

Hi, I just recently purchased mine Shark steam mop. I ordered it after I had seen it on TV. I was very disappointed, because I also ordered extra pads, which were placed in the steamer's box and I was charged more than $30.00 for shipping, instead of $15.00. You could find this product much cheaper on the Internet. Anyway, I tried it only once. Pros: easy to handle, clean nicely, you don't need to use chemicals, the head is slim so you could clean corners and under cabinets as well (I believe you cannot do the same with Blissel). It is fast to clean with as you do not need to water and clean the mop over and over again so you save time. It seems to dry immediately. It automatically adjust the steam by the movements of the mop.

Cons: The balance of the mop is extremely bad, it fell on the floor every time I had to leave it unattended and I did not support it with something, it left some streaks on the floor, there is no off/on switch on the mop, so you always have to unplug it, where the floor was dirty, I had to move the mop really slowly to clean it up.

Overall: I love the steam mop idea. I read a lot of reviews before I purchased it, and it seems there are some defects you just cannot avoid (exp.: streaks, etc). However, I strongly recommend that to follow the user guide. Use distilled water (it basically not an extra cost because you do not need too much water to operate the mop) (less streaks), wash the pads before first use (more efficiency), vacuum the floor before using the mop (it does not pick up the dirt, this is not the main purpose of a steam mop, if the floor is too dirty you will just move the dirt around instead of cleaning the floor, etc.).

So far I like Shark and as I already mentioned, the other mops have basically the same cons. Steam is steam, cleans without chemical and kills germs. (06/10/2008)

By Susanna

Anyone Used the Shark Steam Mop?

For more reviews:

http://www.buyzillion.com/B000V4Q8GA/Reviews/Euro-Pro+Shark+S3101+Electric+Steam.html (06/10/2008)

By Susanna

Anyone Used the Shark Steam Mop?

It does not seem too good.
http://www.nbc4.com/consumer/16515160/detail.html (06/10/2008)

By