Browsing: Saving Money on Acrylic Nails

Filling In Acrylic Nails Inexpensively

My husband recently gave me a gift certificate to do something to my nails at a local spa. The lady told him to do it for $75 (since he did not have a clue how much to buy). When I first saw the certificate I can't describe what rolled through my mind that $75 could have bought. But I thanked him and went for my nail treatment.

It has now been a couple of weeks and I need to either have a "fill in" or soak them off. I find that I like having nails which I have never been able to grow, but there is no way I would ever pay this every 2-3 weeks. I do still have a little on my certificate that I have not spent but what after that? Does anyone know of a way to "fill in" that it is not expensive?

By notwrong

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You might try going to a beauty/cosmetology school and having them filled there this is always much cheaper. The students are supervised by liscenced instructors. Otherwise you can purchase acrylic nail fillers, and kits from a beauty supply store but the quality may be inferior to what you would get from a salon.

You need to do as I do, a friend told me about putting "Hard as nails" finger nail polish on my nails. They would not grow, and were easy to break. So I keep it on my nails. It really works, protects the nails. I use the clear polish, good luck.

Go have your nails filled the first one or two times and watch very closely how they do it. then go to Sally Beauty Supply and buy the powder, liquid, no lift, brush cleaner, brushes, and files. Go to walmart for the nippers. for $50-$75 you can get the supplies and can do your nails for a year. I have been doing my own for about 15 years and it takes a couple of hours every 2-3 weeks. It just takes practice.

The fill-ins are only about $15.00 to have the same nail girl do them for you. When you originally had the nails put on, that is the expensive part. The upkeep, like I said, is only about $15.00 every other week.

You could go in & have just the nail polish done again & it extends the time a little. I used to get my nails done, & I would purchase a bottle of the nail color. After about 2 weeks, I would repaint my own nails & I could get a little more time.

It's so expensive though, that it is one of the things I felt I had to give up. I really miss those nails, plus my own nails have been super soft for almost 3 years now from the salon nails.

Wal-Mart sells acrylic fill in stuff for less than $10. Maybe get that kit to fill in, then after it is dry use the rough side of an emery board (about $1 for a pack of several) to smooth it out. Then buffer and repaint the area to match the acrylic nails. I've tried this before with nail glue itself and the results were similar; nail glue is cheap as well.

Up keep for me is about $15 a week. To me I am worth it, aren't you, too?

Forego the acrylic nails and go to your local Walgreens (or any other drug store) and purchase Calcium 600mg with vitamin D. I have NEVER had nails that would properly grow and if they did get any length to the they would split, bend and break off. Since I've been taking the Calcium my nails look just as good (if not better since it's "free") than acrylics any time. Once you've grown them out have your hubby polish them up for you. With a little practice he should become just as proficient as someone in a salon.

Good luck and I hope this tip saves you some $.

These products do not make for healthy nails. If you don't want the expense of the twice monthly fill-ins, go to a beauty school and have a manicure once or twice a month. Depending on your area, you can probably go 5 or 6 times for the same $75. Good Luck!

Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Health & Beauty Beauty Nail TipsJuly 28, 2009
sore nails
Remedies for Nail Pain After Removing Acrylic Nails
Red Acrylic Nails
Removing Acrylic Nails
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
Canning Pie Filling, Cherry Pie
Canning Pie Filling
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 3, 2016 at 8:21:54 PM on 10.0.1.113 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.