Trouble With Refrigerator Ice Maker

My refrigerator is making ice, but not dispensing any. It will dispense, but only every now and then.

By Elaine from Uniontown, AL

When the refrigerator ice cube maker doesn't dispense ice, it could be a calcium buildup problem in the ~ 16 ice cube chambers of the unit. Vinegar is the answer! Even though you have a water filter in the refrigerator, the filter doesnt remove calcium.

The normal operation of the ice maker is.. Once the ice cubes are made, the heater element heats the ice cubes enough to allow them to drop down into the ice storage area in the refrigerator.

Any calcium buildup in any one of the 18 chambers prevents ice from dropping in that chamber, and when the ice tray goes back to normal position it drops more water onto the ice cubes left, along with filling up the other empty ice chambers. There is now excess water filling into the ice maker chambers which will either overflow or add ice onto ice in all the chambers.

A day or two will make a chunk of the whole tray.

Even if only one ice cube fails to drop, there will be excess water put into the tray and will end up messing up the normal tray operation.

In my Kenmore, there is only one front screw and one electrical connector. The ice maker will then pull out of the two channels. It takes about one minute to remove the one screw and pull the connector apart, removing the ice maker. You can feel the calcium in the bottom of the ice cube maker. A tiny roughness tells you theres a buildup. I've done this twice and it lasts a couple of years until another calcium buildup. Put the empty ice cube maker on the counter and fill the EMPTY 18 little ice cube containers with white vinegar and let sit overnight. Rinse in the morning and put back into refrigerator.

The repair places wont tell you this little thing to do and want to charge you $120 or so for a new ice cube maker because of a little calcium in the maker.

July 6, 2010 Flag

I'm trying to repair an ice maker on a side by side refrigerator. I can get water to the front dispenser, but not to the ice maker. It was working before, but just stopped. I was hoping to repair it without removing the unit. I don't know the model number, but the ice maker lays across the front of the freezer and dumps ice forward into the ice box.

By Russel from Pasadena, MD

Answers:

Trouble With Refrigerator Ice Maker

Using the make and model, go to the manufacturer's web site and they usually have trouble shooting, or ask a tech which you can do for free. I have repaired numerous appliances this way. (04/17/2010)

By dakota1275

April 16, 2010 Flag

I have a Frigidaire side by side, model PLHS237za. The ice maker quit on me. The water supply is good, I unplugged it for awhile, no good. It has a new filter. The arm is down, any ideas?

By dahs75 from West Islip, NY

Answers:

Trouble with Refrigerator Ice Maker

Check the fill valve, usually found on the back down at the bottom on the right side it may not be working. The ice maker calls down to the fill valve to open up and let the water come in. If you are not getting any water to the ice maker then it is probably the fill valve. And the reason you don't have any ice. (09/08/2009)

By angbeth

September 8, 2009 Flag

My Frigidaire ice maker makes ice, it just doesn't drop the ice into the bin. The wire arm, when manually turned off waits about a minute, then manually re-setting the arm, it will break the ice free, move it to a staged position (on top of wiper) or drop 1 load of ice, refill and stay that way until the arm is reset again. Is this an adjustment problem or does the whole works need replacing?

Ken from Tampa, FL

Answers:

Trouble with Refrigerator Ice Maker

Automatic ice makers are nice when they work, but after a while they will malfunction. That's the main reason why I make ice cubes the old fashioned way, by filling up the ice cube trays and putting them in the freezer. It sounds like you will have to call in an appliance repairman. (11/26/2007)

By MCW

Trouble with Refrigerator Ice Maker

If your ice maker bin and mechanism has a shelf/tray over it/them, be sure the tray is not pushed back too far. This was causing our ice not to fall into the bin (since there was no room to maneuver!). The kids stored the ice cream on the shelf and they always seemed to shove it back. By moving the ice cream, and pulling out the shelf a bit, that solved our problem.

Also, check your manual, if you have one. Look in troubleshooting to see if the bar needs to be cleaned or reset. If you don't have a manual, they can usually be found online (jot down the model and serial # before you start looking). There is also a great website for tips on doing repairs yourself. They even will answer your questions and help you order parts (if needed) at very reasonable rates. It is: http://www.repairclinic.com/.

Good luck! (11/29/2007)

By melodybh

Ice Maker
Ice Maker Not Dispensing Ice
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ice MachinesJuly 6, 2010
Refrigerator's Ice Maker
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Leaking Water
Refrigerator
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice
Refrigerator Ice Maker
Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Getting Water
Crushed Ice
Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
🎉
🎄