Water Damaged Carpet

My carpet was soaked with water from a burst pipe. What should I do about the carpet?

By Saleemah from NWK, NJ

You might have to call a rug cleaning business to extract the water from the carpet. If this isn't done, mold and mildew could set in.

Please don't try to dry it yourself, my son in-law used a fan blower to dry his, and my 2 year old grandson ended up fighting for his life for days in hosp and is now a severe asthmatic, still at 14 years old.

Most insurance companies pay for replacement.

Typically water damaged carpet (and the pad beneath it) has to be replaced. It's not possible to dry it out before mold and mildew starts to grow. Probably the kind of severe medical problems mentioned above are somewhat rare, but it's not a healthful situation to have in your house if you can avoid it. If nothing else, I'd try having it professionally dried.

June 29, 2010 Flag

I live in San Diego, and due to the heavy rains this year now have a drenched corner in my sunken living room. I pulled the carpet up and am replacing the pad underneath, but the carpet still has a water stain. My carpet is a brown/white speckled Berber. I need to know how to clean it, because I have a very heavy/expensive pool table in the living room and it can't be moved.

Tammy in Sunny Diego

Water Damaged Carpet

You could try cleaning it with vinegar. Spray white vinegar on it and let it sit for maybe 10 minutes then clean it up with a Bissel green machine. The machine has soap in it, but the vinegar takes out all kinds of stains. You can also sop it up with paper towels. (02/24/2005)

By Sandy

Water Damaged Carpet

"Carpet browning" is a common problem with water damaged carpets. There are specific chemical blends that treat "browning". Use Google.com to search carpet browning for ideas and product suggestions.

Carpet browning is best described as the brown ring around a "waterstain".

Be sure your flooring and walls are completely dry. Use a dehumidifier or large fan to help drying. (02/24/2005)

By beanygurl

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetJune 29, 2010
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Water Damaged Wood Furniture in Flooded Room
Repairing Water Damaged Wood Furniture