Store Freezer Items Outside in Cold Weather

If you live in a cold climate, save even more freezer space at this time of year by simply putting things outside (in sealed containers, of course)!

By Brenda

An old fashioned window box placed in a second story window works well. When you want something, raise the window and get it. I say the second story because some people like me live where bears can get into anything almost.

I have done that a couple of times this year when I had an overflow Brenda!

My neighbor recently had to do this when his refrigerator went on the blink. He had to put his lactose-free milk outside, and then take it in periodically before it froze, and put it out again before it got warm! LOL! He put other food outside in insulated bags, and managed pretty well for several days. Because he has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, he didn't feel like shopping for a new fridge, so he let me do that for him. A mutual friend went with me and then picked up the new fridge from the warehouse. My neighbor was glad to get his new fridge by that time.

In my case, I store apples, onions, potatoes, wrapped cakes, cookies and crackers, soda and juice bottles, and canned goods in my front hall, which is unheated and has a separate door into the house. If I didn't have to go through this hall to go in and out of the house (it leads to the front door), I would turn this hall into a pantry - it would be the perfect pantry! It doesn't get below freezing out there and everything stays fresh until I use it. (I don't have a cellar or basement in my house.) If you have an unheated vestibule or breezeway, you can do the same thing.