Problems with a Tongue Piercing

I have a tongue piercing and next to it there is a hard ball piece of skin. WHat can it be?

Nicole from South Africa

I have my tongue pierced 5 times and have 16 other piercings. Is the bump right on the outside of the piercing? Build up of white "tongue tissue"? It is hard to explain what I am describing, but I am pretty positive I know what you are referring to. If so, it is just healing! After a few months, the bump will go away, I promise. If it doesnt hurt, then dont worry about it. It sounds as though this piercing is new. Please message me if you have questions.

Don't take a chance....SEE A Doctor. GG Vi

Please see a doctor. do not wait, It sounds like MRSA(Staph) Make them do a blood test, this is serioous, even deadly.

Please email me if you have any questions! These people responding have to experience with piercings. They do not know the phases piercings go to. Yes, it may share symptoms with other "illnesses" or whatever you call them. But it is perfectly normal, I promise you! When you get pierced, you are literally creating a hole/incision in your body. There are a lot of phases the healing process goes through. Even puss is normal. Its not actually puss, its just your body trying to kick out unnatural objects in order to close the wound. I have had that bump you are describing with several of my tongue rings. Make sure you are wearing a barbell that is a little bit too long in order for swelling to come and go ( if it is a new piercing ). Dont forget to use mouthwash or sea salt water solution, too. It takes a while for the piercing to heal completely. The bump will go away, like I stated in previous post. But, if you are still worried, go back to your piercer and they will most likely tell you what I have. Now if you pierced it "at home" then yes, maybe it really IS something to be alarmed about.

Hey you all thank you for responding. But the bump or what ever that pimple was is busy going away. I just got mouth wash and a new toothbrush an expensive toothpaste and a new tongue ring so I am healing good. The problem was the tongue ring bar was to short and I kept playing with it. Thank you again, Nicole

It can be a displaced taste bud. It can be hypertrophic scarring. It can be normal scabbing. All of which will go away if you leave it alone and rinse after anything you eat/drink/smoke and be a bit patient.

It could be an infection.

An infection is usually hot &/or red &/or puffy &/or leaks stuff that's smelly and grey/green (not white/pale yellow). If you think you have an infection, see a doctor, but DONT remove the jewelry, as that will just trap the infection inside (sometimes doctors have to be "reminded" of this).

Health & Beauty AdviceFebruary 13, 2009
bottle of tongue depressors
Craft Ideas Using Tongue Depressors
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
A girl sticking out her tongue.
Remedies for a Sore Tongue
Tongue Pierced
Getting Your Tongue Pierced
🎄