Problems with a Tongue Piercing

If you are having problems with a new tongue piercing, the best advice is to talk directly to your piercer. They can tell you if it is normal or if you need further medical attention.

I have a tongue piercing and next to it there is a hard ball piece of skin. WHat can it be?

Nicole from South Africa

Answers

Best Answer

I have my tongue pierced 5 times and have 16 other piercings. Is the bump right on the outside of the piercing? Build up of white "tongue tissue"? It is hard to explain what I am describing, but I am pretty positive I know what you are referring to. If so, it is just healing! After a few months, the bump will go away, I promise. If it doesnt hurt, then dont worry about it. It sounds as though this piercing is new. Please message me if you have questions.

Best Answer

Please email me if you have any questions! These people responding have to experience with piercings. They do not know the phases piercings go to. Yes, it may share symptoms with other "illnesses" or whatever you call them. But it is perfectly normal, I promise you! When you get pierced, you are literally creating a hole/incision in your body. There are a lot of phases the healing process goes through. Even puss is normal. Its not actually puss, its just your body trying to kick out unnatural objects in order to close the wound.

I have had that bump you are describing with several of my tongue rings. Make sure you are wearing a barbell that is a little bit too long in order for swelling to come and go ( if it is a new piercing ). Dont forget to use mouthwash or sea salt water solution, too. It takes a while for the piercing to heal completely. The bump will go away, like I stated in previous post. But, if you are still worried, go back to your piercer and they will most likely tell you what I have. Now if you pierced it "at home" then yes, maybe it really IS something to be alarmed about.

By juliethepiercer (Guest Post)
Best Answer

It can be a displaced taste bud. It can be hypertrophic scarring. It can be normal scabbing. All of which will go away if you leave it alone and rinse after anything you eat/drink/smoke and be a bit patient.

It could be an infection.

An infection is usually hot &/or red &/or puffy &/or leaks stuff that's smelly and grey/green (not white/pale yellow). If you think you have an infection, see a doctor, but DONT remove the jewelry, as that will just trap the infection inside (sometimes doctors have to be "reminded" of this).

Best Answer

Go back to the place where you had it pierced and ask their advice. My friend had a nose ring that did this. She had to remove it until it healed entirely.

Good luck!

I had my tongue pierced 3 days ago. It's more swollen than ever with white lumps all over and a red lump too. Is it infected? I'm struggling to talk more than ever.

Answers

Best Answer

The swollen part is completely normal! After I got my tongue pierced I felt like it wouldn't even fit in my mouth anymore. Luckily, that usually lasts about a week or week and a half at most. I didn't encounter the white bumps though. Could it possibly be a mouthwash or something you are using to clean the piercing that you haven't used before?

If it is something new, it could be irritating your tongue or you may be allergic to one of the ingredients. I would monitor them for a few days and see if they get any better and possibly use a different product to cleanse the piercing and see if that helps. If they don't resolve, I would call the place you got the piercing and ask their advice.

Best Answer

Please remember nobody on here is a doctor and any advice that you receive is not a professional opinion and you should follow this at your own risk.

• If you tongue is this swollen it could be a major problem and an infection.
  • However, this could be a allergic reaction to the piercing or what you are using now to clean it with.
  • Ad

• This is advice from my dentist when I had something cut my gum and it was swollen and infected. I was told to go to the pharmacy and buy some hydrogen peroxide and gargle with this 4 times a day. I was to use 1 cap full of hydrogen peroxide and put it in my mouth and swish it around for 3 to 4 minutes and then spit it out. Do not swallow this it is not healthy for you.
  • Within the first day the swelling had gone down and the cut in my mouth was starting to heal. You will need to buy the lowest solution as possible I think it is 3 percent if you live in the States.
  • You can try this, but I would recommend that you go seek medical advice this could be very dangerous.
  • The tools used to pierce your tongue might not of been cleaned properly and you have an infection from this.
  • Ad

• You could have an allergic reaction to the earring used on your tongue. Your body could be rejecting this because you are allergic to this material.
  • There are so many possibilities and reasons for this swelling that we can only guess about.
  • You will need to see a doctor in order to find out what is wrong with your tongue and what medical advice they will give you. They might need to remove the earring from your tongue if there is a problem with this.
Best Answer

It seems the first person you should be asking about this problem is your technician that did the piercing as they should be familiar with all of the problems associated with after effects of tongue piercing. They should be able to tell you if you need to see a doctor.

• An infected tongue can be a very serious matter so do not fool around waiting to see if this is just normal after effects.
  • The following statements are from the Association of Professional Piercers and state the problems that can arise and also some solutions.
  • Piercing the tongue is a traumatic procedure that can lead to serious and possibly life-threatening infections. For the first few days, the normal pain and swelling is difficult to differentiate from any signs of infection. If you have difficulty breathing, however, or any other symptoms that match those of an infected tongue piercing, seek medical attention immediately.
  • After a tongue piercing, normal healing symptoms and healing times vary from person to person. Pain from a tongue piercing lasts up to one month. The normal healing symptoms lasting several days; uncomfortable aching, pinching or tightness in the area of the wound, swelling, bleeding and a yellowish, liquid secretion. Usually, a tongue piercing heals in four to six weeks.
  • Tongue piercings carry other risks besides the danger of infection; fractured teeth, nerve damage, speech impediments, allergic reactions to tongue jewelry, scar tissue, prolonged bleeding and disease transmission as some additional risks. When factoring in all of these risks, having your tongue pierced is a decision that must be considered seriously, and close attention must be paid to symptoms of infection afterward.
  • A mixture of sea salt and water is effective in treating infected tongue rings at their initial stages. Ensure you rinse or gargle your mouth with this saline solution after every meal. If you want to make your own saline solution, mix a half a teaspoon of sea salt with 8 ounces of water.
  • You may experience a white coating on your tongue; this is a normal bacteria response to your piercing; that is why antibacterial mouth wash is recommended. After 3-5 days the swelling will start to reduce.
  • The use of alcohol free mouth washes such as Listerine.
  • NOTE: Do not use hydrogen peroxide since it can cause crusting.
  • To reduce swelling or pain, chew small ice chips.

Here are a couple of links to sites that have more information and suggestions to help you through this period of pain and discomfort.

heydoctor.org/infected-tongue-piercing.html

www.bestcures.org/.../

Best Answer

It is going to be super swollen, that is perfectly normal. It is also going to take a little time for it to heal and for you to get used to having it in your mouth once the swelling goes down. You are supposed to be rinsing your mouth with Biotine Mouthwash or Listerine after every time you eat, drink, or smoke anything. If you have been doing that chances are it is not infected but if you think it could possibly be infected I would contact the piercing studio right away and have them look to see if it is healing normally. Just call and express your concerns and tell them you want to be sure everything is ok. They will have no problem taking a look for you and that will save you from paying a doctor bill if there is nothing wrong. If there is something wrong however, you will want to know right away so the proper procedures can be taken to fix the problem.

I had my tongue done on the 20th of August and under my tongue bar it is still swollen and raised up a bit. I have got a picture and am still wondering if you could help me. I have done all the things that I was told to do.

Answers

Best Answer

Infections happen, despite our best efforts. Remove the tongue bar and let it heal. See a doctor for antibiotics

Best Answer

You probably have an infection under the bar so do as Judy suggested; remove the tongue bar and see a doctor as you do not want to fool around with an infection in your mouth.

You might try rinsing with salt and warm/hot water (hold in mouth a few minutes) until you can see a doctor.

Best Answer

If you don't see a difference in a day or so, I suggest talking to your doctor. Mouth infections are nothing to mess with and can go from mild to really bad really fast. Unless the person who pierced you is a doctor, your doctor needs to check you out. Better safe than sorry!!l

Best Answer

Gargle with Biotene. Most piercers will tell you to do this the day you get the tongue bar.. get it asap.

I got my tongue pierced a week ago and on the top right at the front by the piercing there is like a piece of extra skin. it looks like a piece of food. It is hard to explain. Is that normal or should I do something about it?

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like pus to me. If it also hurts, you have an infection. I would take it out and see a doctor.

Best Answer

It looks like an infection to me , I would advise to take the pierced item out and see if it heals on its own, if not then do see a doctor right away.

Best Answer

I had the same when I had one back in the day. It was indeed infected. I went back to the lady at the piercing shop and she gave me a bottle of safe disinfecting solution and had me suck on ice chips for a week. I'd go back and have a chat ASAP.

I had my tongue pierced years ago and started getting a tiny bump that over the years turned into what feels like a cyst inside my tongue. It's firm, but rubbery. You can only see it under my tongue.

Answers

Best Answer

It could be a buildup of scar tissue. If it is painful and/or tender it is probably an infection. Any change in the skin should be looked at by a doctor.

Best Answer

It sounds like a keloid, which is common, especially if it does not go away. I took mine out yeeeears ago due to getting one, actually, and it went away.

Best Answer

Did you get this after getting your tongue pierced years ago? Did you properly follow after care when you got your tongue pierced? Or is the barbell too tight?

You should use warm water and some sea salt, stir and gargle.

Is my tongue piercing infected or is it normal to have a white bump/ring on both sides? I've been making sure my tongue is as clean as possible and I've been using Biotene to clean it after every meal and every drink that's not water. I got my tongue pierced on the 9th. There is no swelling and very little pain. Should I be worried?

Answers

Best Answer

If you have any doubts check with your doctor or if you have access to a free 24/7 nurse line you may want to have them look at that white lump to make sure it is not an abscess or scar tissue or a keloid. If you spike a fever, seek care immediately.

Best Answer

When I had mine pierced, it looked like yours for 2 weeks. Use biotine and salt water rinses often. If it still looks like that or it starts to squeeze, go to the person who pierced you.

Best Answer

I have my tongue pierced for almost 18 years now and I had the samething happen to me and I actually still have the white bump on the bottom kinda. In most cases it is normal try using warm salt water for the pain it's mostly scare tissue that's what the body piercing told me mine was. Mine don't bother me anymore only when I take it out for a few days n have to push it back it kinda repiecing it

So I got my tongue pierced Friday night and it's already Tuesday. When I woke up this morning, my top ring ball was in my tongue and I had to pop it out by pushing the bottom ball up. My piercer did put a small barbell versus a longer one; I guess he forgot my tongue would swell up during my sleep.

Would this cause an infection? How long should the swelling continue as far as number of days? I know I was advised by another piercer not to switch the barbell since it can cause an infection. But I'm afraid having a small barbell could also cause an infection.

I brush my teeth after every meal and mouthwash at least 4-5 times a day. And I have been taking Aleve for the inflammation. I do try to move it up and down so it does not get so tight on my tongue. What should I do? Should I wait till a week has passed to see if the swelling has gone down?

Answers

Best Answer

Please have a doctor or nurse or dentist check you out. Tongue piercings can go bad fast and infections are nothing to mess with. If you spike a fever, you will need immediate Care. Safety first!

Anonymous
Best Answer

This happened to me and I had to have it taken out and the redone once it had healed

I had my tongue pierced 4 days ago and I'm a bit concerned. My tongue gets sensitive each time I have my barrel in and there's a lump around it. It's kinda red on the bottom. Is it normal?

Answers

Best Answer

Please talk to your doctor ASAP if not sooner! Any pain, lumps, redness, or sensitively after a tongue piercing (or any piercing) is of concern and needs to be checked by a medical expert. Hopefully the doc/nurse will tell you it is all normal, but you don't want to risk an infection in your mouth. This can be VERY serious and is nothing to mess with. I will send up lots of healing prayers!

I just recently had my tongue pieced and it has been 3 weeks since then. On the second week of my healing process, I changed the top ball to plastic as I was worried about my teeth. As the days went by, I noticed a white bump starting to appear around my bottom ball. It's a little tender. It's almost like a lump of tongue flesh? Please help, is it infected? Then how can I get rid of it asap?

By Amanda Hirini P.

Answers

Best Answer

Contact the shop where you got the piercing and get their advice. They should have given you a care sheet with instructions when you got it done, maybe with some cleaner or salt to make a sanitizing solution.

I don't have a tongue piercing but I did get my left nostril pierced in January. They told me not to remove it or change it for 4-6 weeks. I cleaned it with a salt solution daily and I had no problems but tongues might be trickier.

Good luck. I would contact your doctor if it gets any worse.

I got my tongue pierced 5 days ago and I have decided that I want to take it out, but I think it's infected. My tongue is discolored in a yellowish color and something white came out of the wound and it smells and it hurts slightly. There's no redness and it's not overly swollen, but I am still worried. Should I just go to my local piercer to ask if it's possible to take it out? My only concerns are that they won't see that it's infected and then take it out. I heard you should never take it out if it's infected.

Health & Beauty AdviceAugust 5, 2019
🌻
📓
😎
🐛