Lowering a Bed Frame

Category Beds
Sometimes a bed may be too high for its user to easily get in and out. This guide is about lowering a bed.

How can I make our bed lower? A low profile box spring is expensive, so can I put boards across the frame to put the mattress on? Remove the rollers from frame (that wouldn't lower bed enough)? Please has any one any suggestions. My husband has a neurological disease and can no longer get into the higher bed.

By Helen from central IL

Best Answer

Would it be possible to buy or make a platform that would raise the area around the bed a few inches? For example; a platform that would be 6 inches high and 3 or 4 feet long and a foot or two wide and placed on the floor next to the bed so he would step up on the platform and then on to the bed. It would not lower the bed but raise the floor area next to the bed a height that would be easier for him to get on to the bed. It could be made out of wood. If you could not find something like that to buy, a carpenter could make one easy enough.

Best Answer

You can make a platform but it needs to be sturdy. Use strong one inch pine boards to place from side to side on your frame. Cover the whole frame then place some kind of support under the middle. Think of hotel beds. They are on frames.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and degenerative disk disease and have the same problem getting in and out of our high bed. We are in the process of making our own platform about a third of the height of one that you would purchase for our new king size bed. I think keeping the rollers on the frame is very helpful when it comes time to clean under the bed which should be done at least twice a year - you don't want bedbugs! If you have a queen or king size bed remember that you'll need extra support in the middle portion of the frame to keep the weight of the platform and mattress stabilized. Sometimes local organizations/church groups will help you make a lower platform. Hope some of this helps or gives you some ideas.

If all else fails, put it directly on the floor.

You can try or think about this. Remove the boxsprings and measure the bed inside the frame across. Go to the lumber yard and have them cut 3/4 inch plywood to fit over the slats. That should be real sturdy then put your matress back on top of that. Hope this works. Blessings sent your way.

You can certainly put the box spring right on the floor. That would likely be the easiest, but that may make your bed too low. It is also possible to put plywood or lumber inside the bed frame. Several have suggested this, and given some hints as to how to proceed. It wouldn't be difficult either.

excellent answer. I thought about this as an option but I didn't know if it would work, thank you for conformation. Many blessings to you as well!

My bed has a headboard as well as a foot board with the wooden side rails that attaches to both. Then there are slats that came with the bed that the box springs sets on. I want the bed to be lower.

Is there a way to attach my headboard and foot board to a regular queen bed frame thereby making the bed lower to the floor? The bed is so high I'm afraid of rolling off and hurting myself. Thanks.

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

I'm not sure what you mean by a "regular" queen frame (a Hollywood bed frame?). However, if I were you, I'd just see where the holes in the head/footboards need to be, in order to fit on your lower frame. Then ask at the hardware store, what kind of drill and screws you'd need, to make those boards fit your lower frame.

If you have a regular camera or a digital one, take a picture of the frame and the boards, to take to the hardware store. I do that all the time, and it really helps the hardware men/women understand your project so they can help you!

The problem with drilling new holes to make the bed sit lower on the headboard and foot board is that you can alter the integrity of those posts and cause they to split or crack when you screw in the bed frame. So be careful.