Using Banana Peels

What are some uses for banana peels?

By mmcostello from CA

Compost 'em!

I have never tried it but have heard of using the inside of the peels for curing warts and other skin problems. And I"ve heard of using the inside of the peels in a pinch to shine shoes with.

Here are a few others:

http://www.womendaybyday.com/2007/10/uses-for-banana-peels/

I couldn't resist! <*grin*> Remember the old 1960's myth that you could get high from frying, smoking or eating the inside scrapings called "Mellow Yellow". I guess I kind of have a warped of sense of humor!

I've seen people bake in banana peals on coals in a fire pit or on the barbecue. You put your fruit in then either wire the peel shut or use wooden skewers to hold it shut. Besides that, You can always feed the compost pile!

They are rich in potassium so they are good for plants. If you have a banana plant they really like to be mulched with banana peels.

Put them under the feet of someone you don't like, just kidding, lol. I really don't know. I just throw them out.

Rose plants love chopped banana peels. My dad used to rub the inside of the peel over his leather shoes to shine them.

Every time you eat a banana, leave its peel out to dry overnight. Rub the inside of the peel against the surface of leather. Follow up and buff and polish leather with the outside of the peel.

The banana peel contains 30 to 40 percent tannin, the stuff used in leather cleaning products. When dried, the peel makes a natural leather cleaner. The outside of the peel contains wax, so it gives the leather a shiny topcoat.

From the book "Urawaza," by Lisa Katayama

Urawaza is a Japanese word for household tips and tricks.

FIRE ANTS! Rub the inside of a banana peel on the bites -- stops the burning, stops the itching, and the little blisters will not form. You will not know you got into those sorry suckers!

Yes, rose bushes, just bury then in the soil around the base. I would think the whole garden could use them. Just make sure it's completely covered, the dirt and watering will break it down.

Add them to your compost pile. Worms love bananas and/or banana peels, and they aerate the soil and provide wonderful castings that plants love. You'll be surprised how wonderfully your garden responds.

Wow, this is so interesting! I love the info we can get here. I'm so glad for this site.

Banana Peel
Uses for Banana Peels
Better Living Green Living ReusingAugust 11, 2009
Lemon Peel
Uses for Citrus Peels
Peeling a potato.
Uses for Potato Peels
A yellow banana peel.
Garden Uses for Banana Peels
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
🎉
🎄