Crockpot Cabbage and Meatballs

I love the flavor the cabbage gives this meal. Instead of making cabbage rolls, when my children were little, I would just make it this way and just not give the cabbage to the children. My husband and I could still enjoy the flavors together and the children loved the little hamburger balls and potatoes.

• 1 head of cabbage
  • 2 lb. ground beef
  • 3/4 cups instant rice
  • 1 onion diced
  • 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 tsp. diced garlic
  • 2 cans of tomato soup
  • 4 or 5 potatoes, cut into quarters

Directions:

Place peeled and quartered potatoes into the bottom of crock pot. Mix the ground beef, instant rice, onion, seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic together. Shape into balls about 2 inches around. Put the meatball on top of potatoes.

Cut the cabbage in half and then cut each half into wedges, place over the meatballs. Mix the 2 cans of tomato soup with 1 cup water and pour over the ingredients in the crockpot. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or high for 2 hours, changing to low for 4 hours, or until potatoes are soft.

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

It sounds like a really good, easy meal. I have made cabbage soup before, which is basically unstuffed cabbage, but I didn't put potatoes in it. This sounds like something I'd like in the winter.

I always make cabbage rolls but this way is so much easier, and putting potatoes with this meal is very good. Making this meal today can't wait to dig in. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Do I have to cook the instant rice first? Just curious because I want to make this for dinner tonight.

Thanks for the comments ladies. You use instant rice in this, so the rice is not cooked first. Enjoy, Dorothy

Made this last night! Really good! I used brown rice (not instant) and just ran the crockpot on high for 4 hours. Delish! This one goes into my recipe box! Much easier than making cabbage rolls but the same great taste!

Meatballs on toothpicks with dipping sauce.
Crockpot Meatballs Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes CrockpotOctober 4, 2011
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
Meatballs cooking in sauce.
Using Frozen Meatballs
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
A pile of frozen meatballs.
Freezing Meatballs
🎄