Rotten Meat Smell in the Refrigerator

We have a dorm size refrigerator in a place we moved into. The landlord said the people left meat in it and it rotted. I've tried bleach, air freshener, coffee grounds, Comet, baking soda, and cat litter. But the smell isn't even dying down, it is still strong. Any more suggestions?

By Michele from Grannis, AR

Best Answer

Had same problem after Hurricane Frances when we came back to town. Tried everything mentioned on feedback. Finally got another one. However, my brother suggested opening it up and putting it outside in the sunshine for several days, said it worked for him. I'll try this if ever have same problem again.

Best Answer

I think there must have been some seepage of the juices as the meat rotted and may have seeped into spots you can clean with taking it apart. You may want to go to the hardware store and buy activated hardware pellets and put them in an open container in the fridge for a day or so and see if they work. The charcoal supposedly absorbs odors. It has worked for me in the past in other smelly situations, just not sure if the meat leaked and got on the inside components of the fridge if this will help, but it is cheap to try.

You need to take care if there was rotted meat in it---the juices from the meat could have seeped down into the fridge workings and be hard to get out.

This happened to us after a power outage. It was an upright freezer. My father in law took the freezer apart and discovered that blood from some chicken had actually leaked into the insulation that lines the freezer. We had to pull it all out and replace it, but that did, finally, get rid of the smell. I wouldn't advise a novice doing this type of repair. But if thats what happened to yours, no amount of odor absorbing material will get the smell out. Good luck!

Have you checked the drip pan underneath?

Woman holding nose while standing in front of open refrigerator door
Cleaning Rotten Meat Odors from a Refrigerator
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMay 9, 2010
A photo of a car.
Removing Rotten Food Odors From a Car
Storing Oranges, Canning Oranges, A bunch of bright round oranges.
Storing Oranges
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
🎉
🎄