Remedy for Itching Mosquito Bites

By Diane 6 40

Mosquitoes tend to eat me alive. I needed a quick fix to alleviate the itching, and I didn't want anything that was either too stinky or left dots all over me. Some store products didn't work for me. I tried table salt on the moistened area (it helped, but granules kept falling off). Apple cider vinegar didn't smell good and relief didn't last that long. Peppermint toothpaste would have worked, but again the splotches and fear of having it rub off onto other things. So, I tried deodorant - it worked great and no messy residue! I found starting out with a clean shower (because there were so many bites), then rubbing deodorant over the bites, stopped the itching and kept it that way for a long time. And it was easy and portable to take along if the bites started acting up again.

Source: Found suggestion on http://www.home-remedy.org

By Diane from Rochester, NY

Showing: Comments Sort

By Kay 22 53 Flag

Wet a bar of any kind of soap and rub on the bite; it will stop the itching. This is great for babies and small children who have such sensitive skin.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By helen 70 81 Flag

Hi, I was reading your tip for using deodorant on the bites. I also get really bad bites but I treat them now with aspirin mixed to a paste and leave on for a while. This takes down the swelling, I also make up a spray of witchazel 60 mls. then add 20 drops of lavender, 20 drops of peppermint essential oil into a spray and this really works with the itching. You would have to spray again when the itching starts again. helen xx

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lilac 20 1,329 Flag

A little dab of aspercreme works perfectly too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Nancy Owens 7 18 Flag

I like this simple idea! I am anxious to try it. Now if we could just keep them from biting without the smelly sprays!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lelia Jo Cordell 51 1,936 Flag

I'll go try this, as soon as I climb over my sleeping dog, lol! The mosquitoes chewed my left leg to pieces Saturday night. :P

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Barbara Pope 12 98 Flag

Up until about a month ago I walking to work every day for a couple of years, I was also getting eaten alive by mosquitoes and whatever else flies around in Kansas. So, I had already bought some citronella for something else. I rubbed it all over and it worked great. Someone at my work made a comment about smelling oranges, but it did not seem overwhelming to them. A friend of mine also said that using plain lye soap works to keep away bugs.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

I had read here at ThriftyFun that using a bit of lavender essential oil on your pulse points works. I tried it and it worked for me. I have immune deficient problems because of emphysema and actually was bitten a couple months ago and ended up with cellulitis because of the bites but since then I've used the lavender oil and no more problems even though the skeeter population is out of control here. I think the skeeters are especially bad this year because of having a wet spring at least that's why they are so bad this summer where I live. I am in a high desert area that normally doesn't have a wet spring.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By bbbenny 1 Flag

Try a Therapik. Heat neutralizes mosquito bites and the Therapik delivers focused heat to the sit.One or two applications will do the trick and it usually eliminates the swelling as well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Mosquito Bite Remedies
Mosquito Bite Remedies
Health & Beauty AdviceAugust 23, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews
A man scratching his ear.
Causes of Ear Itching
Mosquito Bite Remedies
Mosquito Bite Remedies
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 4:30:23 PM on 10.0.0.94 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings