Browsing: Alternative Places to Shop for Groceries

Buy Groceries at Scratch and Dent Stores

I shop at a scratch and dent grocery store about 50 miles from my home. The savings far surpass the the cost of the gasoline. I have gotten $200.00 of groceries for $60.00 before! Check on the Internet for the nearest place for "scratch and dent" stores in your area! You must be careful for expired merchandise but I have never had a problem.

By mamasue46 from Hagerstown, MD

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I have to wonder about the safety of a dented can. I avoid them in the stores where I now shop. With all the added chemicals to our food, this is just another "accident" waiting to happen. Maybe you haven't gotten sick. What if your child became deathly ill, or an elderly parent wound up in the hospital? I know times are tough for many of us, but you can't put a price on a loved one. I feel the same way about buying foods at from the "dollar" stores. So much of this comes from China, while it may look like your brand of say toothpaste, take a second look!

Even at home when things have not expired, and the can seems fine, but it smells "off" I toss it. My motto is when in doubt throw it out!

I was taught in school to never buy cans with dents in them because they could be damaged and you might not see it. I mean think about it, it takes something heavy to dent that can so a little hole could be in it and you would not see it. All it takes is a pin hole to make you sick.

I get groceries for that kind of deal (and tons free) by utilizing coupons matched with sales. If you have a store that doubles coupons, and even if you don't, you can have those types of savings all the time. Examples: Hellmann's mayo for about 60 cents a jar, Skippy or Peter Pan PB about 50 cents a jar, Bumble Bee pouch tuna at a lot of stores are either free or 50 cents a pouch right now. Colgate toothpaste I get free a few times a year. And when you get those types of deals, you stockpile enough to last you about 12 weeks when the coupons and sales come around again.

A sign pointing to a farmers market.
Alternative Places to Shop for Groceries
Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingNovember 10, 2009
Biscuits made from scratch.
Making Biscuits From Scratch
A paper bag full of groceries
Storing Groceries
ice chest cooler
Keeping Groceries Cold
Bent N Dent Grocery Store
Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 1:21:01 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.