Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store

Category Business
Opening a salvage or bent n dent grocery store is a popular small business opportunity. This is a guide about starting a bent n dent grocery store.

I am very much considering opening a bent and dent grocery store in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I am looking for any information about were to get product and regulations please. Thank You

By Sara

Answers

Did you ever open one in Oshkosh?

There is a bent n dent store in Bonduel. It is Amish and I have done the advertising/marketing tools for it since 2009. The owners are Paul & Mary Ann Mast. She can take you through all the processes and procedures. You can see some of their info on my website: www.witowns.com

Were you successful with opening your bent and dent store?

Hi Sara,

We are the largest wholesaler or Salvage Grocery in the region and are the primary vendor for almost all of the bent and dent / discount grocery stores. We are family owned, in business for 30 years. Our warehouses are in St Paul, MN and we ship across the country. We sell mixed loads of Dry Grocery, Frozen Grocery and Fresh Grocery- by the case or by the pallet.

Give me a call as we would like to explore doing business together. I can also be helpful with advice as we have helped many stores open, especially in Wisconsin.

Michael Burt
Reclaim Center Inc
651-646-1839
Email- michael (at) reclaimcenter (dot) com

I want to start a Bent and Dent store in Caledonia, Minnesota and need to find out how to get it started and who to buy my shipments from. Can you help with this information?

By clproudma07

Answers

Hi, here in Mn too. Contact Meadowland Market 10 W 6th St Morris, MN (320) 585-5050. They have a very successful store. In fact, were in an area small town to start with and had to move to the bigger town. This is a college town, many use it.

Grandma from Benson, 20 miles south.

You probable need to start with your state, county and city offices to find out all the regulations regarding this type of store. Be prepared to be shocked (some states are more strict than others)!

Store in Caledonia...

Give me a call as we would like to explore doing business together.

Michael Burt
Reclaim Center Inc
651-646-1839

I have a discount bent and dent grocery store and am looking for groceries close to me in Missouri.

I would like information on how to start a bent and dent grocery store. Where I can get the groceries to stock the store?

By Tammy Upton from Rogersville, AL

Answers

I did a search and found a few sites that may help. If you actually get your store open you can list it with some of these sites like this one: http://www.mone … cery-store-list/

Here are the ones I found that I think you would be interested in right now:
http://theclose … -your-own-store/

http://www.hotf … ceries-Wholesale

http://www.alib … 11_79_a_box.html

http://www.jdcl … ecials/food.html

http://hubpages … ons-Helping-Many

http://www.alib … ood-grocery.html

http://www.doll … e-can-foods.html

http://ebnexus.com/kKSHRE/

We are out of Alpharetta GA and can supply everything from Banana Boxes to Frozen product. We specialize in frozen entrees and meat product, but we partner with some really good banana box suppliers. We also have soaps, shampoos, and detergents out of our Greenville SC warehouse. We do not require full truck load purchases and specialize in the small store.

Hi. I am an owner of a salvage store in NY. It is called That Discount Place. You can see it on Facebook. My family also had 3 stores in Indiana.

I am currently also doing operations work helping people run and start businesses. If you would like to talk please email me at jane AT thatdiscountplace.com and we will arrange a time. Good luck.

How do I start a bent and dent grocery store?

I am interested in opening a bent and dent store in Greenville, Alabama. I have a prime location on main state highway with building and parking. I need some help with suppliers and regulations please.

By L. P.

Answers

Silly question from across the pond but what is a bent and dent store? Regards, Pam

We are located in Suwanee GA and could supply just above everything you need product wise. Email me at phardy AT salvagedsolutions.com and we can discuss what you need. We supply products to many salvaged stores in the Southeast.

I am opening a salvage grocery in Dubuque, IA and am looking for salvage grocery wholesalers. Are there any recommended ones in my area or that will ship to Iowa?

Jill from Dubuque, IA

Answers

http://search.y … lesalers+in+Iowa

Search for the above, lot of information there, good luck.

We are out of Indiana and can provide frozen and cooler product. We also do banana boxes.

Jill,
I can provide you with dry, refrigerated, and frozen product; in code, short code and out of code.

I am starting a Bent and Dent food store. Where can I get the food?

By Tom from Waterford, OH

Answers

Might be a good idea to make sure you can get the food before you advertise or even plan to open. Beyond that, I would contact the local food manufacturers and larger grocery chains to find out if they ever have any surplus. Make sure you have the proper zoning permits and then advertise like crazy. Good luck. PBP

I live in Missouri and need info on starting a store, suppliers, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

By Cathy S.

Answers

There is a lot of information about Bent & Dent stores on Thrifty and you can Google a question also. It can be a complicated process but it can be done.

Each state may have different rules/regulations so you may have to research through your local offices. Florida sales tax office did, at one time, carry leaflets on opening a store like this so maybe you could ask at your local office. You will need to have an "account" with your sales tax office anyway so go and ask questions.

I'm considering adding salvaged foods to my store. I live in a depressed area near the border of Arizona and New Mexico, in a small town. Everything is extremely expensive here and real grocers are an hour away. Where can I find outlets to purchase salvage foods?

By Elaine

Answers

Even though you have an existing store, I believe you will still have to contact your state and county to learn about selling salvaged food.

After that, it would help you a lot to find a salvage store in a larger city and ask them for help. Most owners will be glad to help - if they know you will not be competing with them.

My family has this type of store and there is so much to learn that it would be impossible to try and help over a forum like this.

There may be help or a book on this subject - try Google.

I work with a wholesale food company. We could help you with this. please email me at tntdyno at rconnect dot com

I am looking to start a bargain bent and dent type small grocery store in Greenville, South Carolina. Anybody have any ideas where I can get the merchandise for the store nearby?

By corey9602 from Greenville, SC

Answers

We supply many of the salvage stores in the southeast. Please email me at phardy AT salvagedsolutions.com and we can help you. We carry small quantity mixed lots that are perfect for opening up a small store.

Hi we run a salvage warehouse in Charlotte NC and supply a lot of start ups and regular salvage stores since 1985 call Doug 704-277-8007

What is the total cost for all products to open a bent and dent store?

Are there any suppliers for discount or Bent N Dent groceries in the Utah/Idaho area?

I would like to start a scratch and dent business. I live in an area where wages and jobs are low paying. There are no places near here to buy low cost groceries and or appliances. I would like info on starting this type of business.

By Barron

I am starting my own dented canned food store. Where do I get my stock?

By Jimmy

Looking to open a salvage grocery store in New Hampshire, and would like to know if anyone has any info on reputable suppiers in the New England area. Thank you!

By Chris

Answers

Start your research with answers that have been given others on Thrifty.

Opening a salvage store is very complicated and legal aspects should be researched before looking for "suppliers" (if you have not already done this).

Almost any store in your community could be a "supplier" as most stores use services like this (usually larger stores).

The problem is that almost all stores will use a bidding process to find their buyers. This is many times required by state laws (called "fair" by state/county). This means you would have to find when a contract will be up for bid and go through the whole process and you would be bidding against very experienced store owners.

The contract would have a time frame (maybe 3 - 6 or 12 months). Also you will find that part of the contract will require that you purchase EVERYTHING they have that week. Also, they are usually very strict on the "buyer" being on time and if you miss a week they can cancel your contract.

Most new store owners will try to buy from the person who "wins" the contract and this way they can buy only what they can afford and learn the business in the process.

I was in a bent and dent years ago, now again, how can I have one?

By Jane W

Answers

People shouldn't be using dented and bent canned food.

I assume you wish to know how to open a store? If you will Google; how to open a bent & dent store? You will see lots of sites and some may help you. There is a lot to know about opening a store like this.

A lot of the sites are selling eBooks on this subject but I do not know anything about these books. There is probably a "Dummies" book on this? Takes lots of research and several weeks/months of filing government forms, finding resources, etc.

I would like to open my own dent and bent store in Effingham Illinios. I want to know how I get started so I may get on this ASAP.

By Pamela from Effingham, IL

Answers

I can guide you on what you have to do to start a Bent & dent Store. I had 10 Bent & dent stores at one time before I got into strictly wholesale. I can supply you with salvage bent & dent food, Pet food, Health & Beauty Aids, Candy & so much more. You can go to my website www.sbkliquidators AT weebly.com & fill out a contact form or call at 724 -971- 7185. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

I am interested in starting a bent and dent store in south eastern Minnesota and was wondering if anyone had some information or contacts to purchase merchandise to start up my store. Any information or contacts would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

By Lacy May

Answers

Hello and good luck with your idea as I believe the Bent'n Dent stores are great. I live in Florida and I know the laws are very stringent on what and also how you can open a store like this. You may have already gone through your local zoning board but if not, that is a good place to start.

As to finding products to sell - you will have to do your own research in your local or surrounding areas as anyone in this business will not usually share their "contacts".

After you have all of your permits you can visit any local store and ask your questions. Stores usually have "sales" every week and some stores use the highest "bidder" but most stores have contracts for certain periods of time and you have to bid on these.

There is lot to learn in this area but it can be done. You may be able to find a helpful person at one of your local Bent and Dent stores.

I am planning to open a dent and bent grocery store. I have a great location, but I need to find out where and how to get product.

By Mark R

Answers

Where would you be planning on opening this new store?

Does anyone know where I can find wholesale/salvage food vendors that sell by the box or pallet?
Thanks!

By Diane W. from Fountain Inn, SC

Answers

I live in Anderson, SC, go to church in Greenville,. SC. This week a lady told me about a place on Wade Hampton Blvd, in Greenville, called Save Mor or Save More - have a box sale every 2nd Saturday, $8 a box. She says the food goes quickly. Don't know what time they open, but might be worth it to check out this store.

I am looking to open a Bent N Dent in Wisconsin and would like to know areas where they already are. I am trying to find the best spot.

By Laurie S

Does anyone know who a supplier for the Kentucky area is?

By Latisha

Answers

I live in Florida but here there is no "one" supplier. Do you mean that you are looking to open a store? If so there is a lot to learn (and DO) before finding a supplier.

Suppliers here are any store that "sells" their damaged items and usually you have to bid against several potential "buyers".

I have researched Nebraska for a bent and dent salvage store, in the entire state, there are none anywhere. I would love to start one, but it makes me wonder if Nebraska has laws and regulations that prevent these type of stores to exist? Please advise me if you know. And where do you get the goods to line the shelves for start up endeavor?

By Paige

How do you get started with opening a scratch and dent store in Alabama?

By Jeanette

Answers

I've been serving in the Retail Salvage Food business for over 25+ years. I can supply product to anyone interested in opening a bent and dent store. Please visit our website at http://sbkliquidators.weebly.com/

I looking for where I can CVS banana boxes. I am just starting out. I live in Stone Mountain and will go as far as South Carolina, Florida, or Alabama.

By oneal3416

Answers

Not really sure if you mean you plan to open a store? If that is the case...

There are so many things to consider (city, county and state laws) before finding where to "buy".

Most stores do not just "sell" these boxes of goods. Most take bids at different times of the year and remember - you cannot pick and choose if you have a contract - you are obligated to take everything they have - on a certain pick-up schedule.

Who would I order food from in the Florida area?

By jeanneanderson from Fort Meade, FL

Answers

Hi - I have a friend with a Bent n Dent store in Florida and he had to go to each store (not just one of a chain but each store) and find out if they are taking bids or even discussing who they will sell their "stuff" to.

If you have to bid for a contract you will have to agree to pay "so much" per pallet or pound or whatever they specify. Be prepared to take everything they have and this can sometimes be a lot of money. This will usually be on a weekly basis and you cannot miss a date or your contract can be voided.

Just remember - not everything you "buy" can be sold - for many reasons. You do need to find out about the state and county laws concerning selling these goods.

Your place will be inspected (you have to be in certain zones only) on a regular basis for cleanliness and reporting your sales.

There are many other things you will find out if you pursue this but as you can see - this is not a small venture at least not that I can find out.

What are the good and the bad sides to opening a Bent-n-Dent grocery store?

By Billie M.

Answers

I personally would never purchase any dented can of food for fear of food poisoning. I know it is said that most cans that are dented are safe to eat as long as the can is not bulging, that the top and bottom have a good seal, and it is not rusted. But the potential health hazard and possible medical cost outweighs the savings of buying a couple of cans of food. Sorry for the negative input, but you asked for feedback. I can think of no pros. If you go forward, try to cut costs; like do not provide bags. Let people bring their own.

I would like info on how to start a bent and dent store and around how much it cost to get one started in Alabama.

By R. M.

How would you go about starting a Bent and Dent store?

By Jakarra from Beloit, WI

Answers:

Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store

Start by having a huge backing of money to keep your products freshly supplied weekly. One area one was backed by local farmers who are on their 2nd large and successful one.
Another local is drowning as they don't get new stuff for 4-5 months at a time. People want weekly turnover like the regular grocery store. If they know your stock, they won't think of you till they need something you have had. If you get weekly stuff in, they will include your shop on their weekly shopping list. (08/04/2010)

By Grandma J

How do you open a bent and dent grocery store? How much does it cost?

By beverly from Salt Springs, FL

Answers:

Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store

Be careful. When a can is bent or dented either the lid or the side seam may be loosened or have a pinhole leak in it letting bacteria creep in. It may look okay, but may not be safe. I don't think I'd want to risk it with my reputation or my insurance costs. (03/02/2010)

By Mensan

I want to open up a Dent and Bent store. I have my EIN number. Do I need to contact the Department of Health?

By dennis murray from Erie, PA

I am looking at starting a Dent and Bent store. Can anyone help with information to get started?

By sandra mclawhorn from Panama City, FL

Answers:

Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store

I looked online for information about starting a Dent and Bent store and all the websites I found gave a link back to ThriftyFun. Lots of good tips below. (05/18/2009)

By Joy

I want to start a bent and dent or salvage grocery store. I need wholesale information.

Basil from Alabama

Answers:

Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store

First, have a good supplier set up with competitive prices. You have to pay for shipping and you still have a lot of waste. I own a dent n bent and have been on a waiting list for groceries for over 4 months. The down economy has people using up all supplies of salvage food at food banks and not for profit business, first. The supply has become scarce. (02/25/2009)

By William R.

Load More