Cleaning Textured Wallpaper

We have 30 year old wallpaper that is not in too bad of condition. We tiled our kitchen floor and now looking at the wall paper, we're thinking of changing it or maybe someone out there knows a good cleaning agent to use, it's textured! Help! My mom is coming for a visit in May and I want to have it finished by then. Any solutions?

bonnsowder from Daytona Beach FL

Try borax (found in the laundry section, and very inexpensive) mixed with water and a soft sponge- it works wonders! Mix maybe 2 tablespoons to a 1/2 gallon of warm water. Test in a small area before going all the way. Rinse well.

Paint it.

I'd recommend using a Magic Eraser (made by Mr. clean, although I think there are other brands). It's a special sponge that is fantastic at cleaning textured things - it's especially formulated to get into crevices. And no cleaning agent is needed, just the wet sponge.

My suggestion is to spray a foaming bathroom cleaner like Scrubbing Bubbles on your wallpaper. You will be amazed at the result! I found this tip on the web somewhere, and it cleaned up 30-plus year old wallpaper in two rooms in my house. The wallpaper I have in these two rooms has some fabric-like backing, and in one of the rooms, the paper is textured like yours. I tried a bunch of different things to clean up this wallcovering, but nothing came close to working like the foaming bathroom cleaner. I bought a generic version of Scrubbing Bubbles at a dollar store, and it works great. You will definitely need more than one can if you have the paper on all four walls. I just sprayed it on the area and let it sit for a few seconds. It does start to drip down the wall when the foam turns to liquid, so you have to work somewhat quickly. You will see the cleaner literally melt the dirt and grease and whatever else you're trying to remove from the paper. Then I wiped off the excess and rinsed with hot water. I was thrilled with the result, and this old wallpaper from the 70s looks brand new! My two cautions are to test the foaming cleaner in an unnoticeable spot on your wall to make sure it won't damage your paper. I had no problems with the foam damaging my wallpaper, but you never know. And, do not use this cleaner on modern day wallpaper that is only thin paper. I tried it on a small test spot, and the design came right off the paper. Unfortunately, things just aren't made the way they used to be! Good luck! Tori

If you like the pattern on the paper that is great, our 30+ year old bathroom wall paper had a crazy 70's patterns that I couldn't stand put I LOVED the cloth texture. It was still adhereing well to the walls so I washed it down lightly with some water and bleach (the previous owner was a smoker). Then I used the Kilz premium on a painting sponge (not a brush). Lastly paint with your choice of bathroom apprpriate paint using a rag or painting sponge. I used a t-shirt type rag and wore gloves. Don't use a roller because you'll either not get into all of the textured areas or the paint will pool in them. My bathroom now looks like I just put in new high-end textured wall paper.

Home and Garden Cleaning WallsMarch 18, 2006
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Cleaning Tile Floors, Textured blue floor tile.
Cleaning Textured Flooring
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper