Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

How can I remove permanent marker from car paint? I had some kid write on white car with black permanent marker. I would also like to make sure there is no shadow left behind.

Christine from WVC, UT

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Sheryl T.03/20/2014

We just had someone use a a red permanent marker on our brand new white Prius. The words were crude to say the least. I used nail polish remover and it came out immediately. I then washed off the area of the car with soap & water, rinsed thoroughly & dried with a soft cloth. No ghost & it looks brand new again:)

By Heather02/28/2011

I came out of work today to find some idiot marked up my white Jeep Liberty with black marker! I was really disgusted. I came home, did a search and found this website. My husband tried the Mr. Clean Eraser and it all came off! Thank you to everyone who posted their suggestions!

By B2G11/22/2010

I had my car parked outside over the weekend. Some kids (or so I hope) used multi color permanent markers all over the body door handles and glass of my car. That too with obscene text and drawings. I noticed it Monday morning. I was too embarrassed to even drive my car out. I went to Wal-mart and got a bunch of items. Nail polish remover, Dry erase cleaner, greased lightning, Mr magic eraser. Fortunately for me nail polish remover did the trick, didn't have to try the others.

Thank you all of you! This site rocks!

Here are questions related to Removing Permanent Marker from a Car.

Question: Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Someone put permanent Magic Marker on my white car. What can I use to remove it?

By Paul J

Most Recent Answer

By Kathie622 [3]09/28/2012

I've removed permanent marker from a tablecloth with rubbing alcohol. It took a few treatments. I don't know if it would work for the car. I've also heard that nail polish remover will remove permanent marker but I don't know if that would be safe for the car. Good luck.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Permanent Marker from Car Exterior

Does anyone know how you remove permanent marker on the outside of your car? My car was tagged by kids with a permanent marker.

Any advice?
Randy

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from Car Exterior

Hair spray often works. (04/19/2005)

By siris

Try Armour-all (sorry not a good speller) orange de-greaser wipes. (05/11/2005)

By Michelle from Tennessee

Gasoline worked wonders for me today. I started with lighter fluid, but the took a while. Gasoline worked great. I used it on my windows and on my front right quarter panel. Just make sure you rinse the area well after you're done to remove any gas.

Gasoline and its fumes are very flammable. Make sure you are very careful and no smoking or starting the vehicle until it has had time to dissipate. Be careful with the disposal of rags also. (11/16/2005)

By Joe

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from Car Exterior From what I remember, go over the permanent with an EXPO marker - the ones used for white boards then wipe off the marker as soon as you put it on... it should erase the permanent marker. (01/17/2006)

By A.I.

I just used WD-40 to remove black permanent marker from my red van. It worked very well. It took a little bit of elbow grease, but it was relatively easy to rub off the black marker after the WD-40 soaked in. I recommend it. (01/19/2006)

By Friend from Arizona

I use aerosol deodorant on my desk, works beautifully, you can actually see the pen mark coming off without even wiping it. So just try a squirt of lynx on the mark and wipe, you should be amazed (02/09/2006)

By Sambo

I tried gasoline, WD40, and hairspray. The hairspray worked the best. There were a couple of stubborn dark spots left (the car is white). I took a little Arm and Hammer mildly abrasive toothpaste and a cotton swab which worked fine on those (02/23/2006)

By MW

I just had this same problem and the responses here helped a lot. What I found that worked the best was to spray the spot with wd-40 and then spray it with car washing solution. This way it came right off. With the wd-40 by itself I was rubbing forever and the car washing solution by itself didn't take anything off at all. (03/06/2006)

By Elisa

Hairspray worked perfectly,thanks very much. you may have saved my local hoodlums from an arse kicking. (04/06/2006)

By Gareth

The dry erase marker worked for me. I have a very light blue colored car and it was tagged with a black sharpie. Write over it and it wipes off (04/24/2006)

Try the MrClean Magic Eraser. It's not super cheap but if it gets your marker off it will be worth the cost. It works great on pebbled surfaces as well, the ease of use makes it worth the $ for us. My local grocery store chain just came out with a cheaper store brand so check around your area. (08/15/2006)

By Taurusfeen

I had a black marker written on my car (vandalism) and used the Mr. Clean eraser pad and it did come right off with very little elbow power. (09/29/2006)

By Aries

I have a white car and the hairspray left some dark spots but it works fairly well. (10/03/2006)

By Alan

Amazingly, a dry-erase marker will completely and instantly remove permanent marker from most hard surfaces, like counter tops, desk tops, furniture, cars, some high gloss painted walls, etc. (10/24/2006)

By Josh

I just used a black dry erase marker to remove black permanent marker from my silver car and it totally works! there is a faint "shadow" where the permanent marker was, but that will buff or wax out. this method defies all logic, but i highly recommend it! use a cloth towel to gently rub the dry erase marker off because paper towels can be abrasive to the car finish. (10/28/2006)

By Tammy

Try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, followed by WD-40.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser succeeded in removing most of the black color, leaving behind a shadow of the tag. I got rid of the shadow by rubbing WD-40 into it for 15-20 minutes with a soft cloth. I was skeptical starting this whole process, but there isn't a single mark left. This happened while I was away, so the tag may have been as new as 12 hours or as old as 3 days; it had no direct sun exposure and temp. was 40-50 degrees. (11/26/2006)

By Tina

I just wanted to thank everyone and the owners of this forum! Someone wrote on my car in black permanent marker. I filed a claim with my insurance company and went in for an appraisal of damage today. They said my door would need to be sanded and re-painted and the cost would be $360. My deductible is $500 so nothing would be covered. I don't have that kind of money. So, I just went out right now and to my amazement hairspray completely took it off in minutes and didn't hurt my paint at all. You cannot even tell anything happened. This is wonderful! Thanks:) (01/08/2007)

By Rebecca B.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the information on removing permanent marker from car paint. I used the fingernail polish remover and rubbed with WD40, but still had a residue, so we put rubbing compound that did the trick. Completely gone. This may have been on there for a week and was in the sun at all times. So we are glad it is completely gone. (02/04/2007)

By Eileen

RE: permanent marker

Randy use GOOF OFF, you can buy from home depot store and I am sure 99.99 percent it will remove the stains. (02/04/2007)

By Rahul

Archive: Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

How can I remove permanent marker from car paint?