Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Vandals sometimes choose to graffiti on cars using permanent markers. This is a guide about removing permanent marker from a car.

June 2, 2007 Flag

How can I remove permanent marker from car paint? I had some kid write on white car with black permanent marker. I would also like to make sure there is no shadow left behind.

Christine from WVC, UT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had my car parked outside over the weekend. Some kids (or so I hope) used multi color permanent markers all over the body door handles and glass of my car. That too with obscene text and drawings. I noticed it Monday morning. I was too embarrassed to even drive my car out. I went to Wal-mart and got a bunch of items. Nail polish remover, Dry erase cleaner, greased lightning, Mr magic eraser. Fortunately for me nail polish remover did the trick, didn't have to try the others.

Thank you all of you! This site rocks!

I came out of work today to find some idiot marked up my white Jeep Liberty with black marker! I was really disgusted. I came home, did a search and found this website. My husband tried the Mr. Clean Eraser and it all came off! Thank you to everyone who posted their suggestions!

We just had someone use a a red permanent marker on our brand new white Prius. The words were crude to say the least. I used nail polish remover and it came out immediately. I then washed off the area of the car with soap & water, rinsed thoroughly & dried with a soft cloth. No ghost & it looks brand new again:)

How can I remove permanent marker from my car windiws and paint?

September 22, 2012 Flag

Someone put permanent Magic Marker on my white car. What can I use to remove it?

By Paul J

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've removed permanent marker from a tablecloth with rubbing alcohol. It took a few treatments. I don't know if it would work for the car. I've also heard that nail polish remover will remove permanent marker but I don't know if that would be safe for the car. Good luck.

October 5, 2010 Flag

How can I remove permanent marker from car paint? I had some kid write on my white car with black permanent marker. I would also like to make sure there is no shadow left behind.

Christine from WVC, UT

Answers:

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

I tried using a dry erase marker but found that spraying WD-40 on it first then dabbing nail polish remover on the rag and rubbing it off in little sections worked the best for me thank you for the suggestions.

By Christine (06/04/2007)

By MommieG

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it! Someone tagged my green car with black permanent marker. It sat in the sun for a full day. I tried a regular eraser and it worked a bit, but with lots of scrubbing and residue. THEN, I tried the dry erase marker. I traced over the permanent ink with the dry erase marker, let it sit for 5 seconds, then rubbed it off with one swipe of a cloth towel. Amazing! (06/05/2007)

By K

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Methylated spirit on a cloth will rub it off easily, and not affect the paintwork underneath. (06/06/2007)

By Jo

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

I had a silver rental car that got marked with a permanent marker. I used the dry erase marker technique suggested by A.I., wiped off with a napkin and it worked perfectly. It was a green Avery marks-a-lot whiteboard marker. Thanks very much for the recommendation. (06/07/2007)

By N.D.

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Try a dry-erase marker FIRST! I was skeptical at first but it worked instantly and no elbow grease required!! (07/16/2007)

By Doug

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Thank you all indeed, my sky blue BMW was tagged with black Permanent Marker. After finding this site, I didn't look any further with so many consensus replies on the "Hairspray and Dry Eraser." I scribbled over the entire mess with dry eraser, a little at a time not in uniform pattern, and wiped away with hairspray, all gone. In some spots you may have to wait and go back over it, but it comes completely off with little muscle and time and NO damage to paint. Thank you all. (08/12/2007)

By Spice of Life

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

This works! I thought I was going to be out tons of money but then I found this forum. A little dry erase marker, hairspray, washcloth, and elbow grease was all it took. THANK YOU! (09/04/2007)

By Jack

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Wow! Thank you so much! When I went to leave for work today I found that some idiot had written on the front of my gray car in black permanent marker. I just tried using the Mr. Clean magic eraser thing and it worked effortlessly. I would have never thought of that. Thanks again. (10/09/2007)

By Susan

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

If you want it to be EASY, grab a sponge and pour some NAIL POLISH REMOVER on the sponge, and wipe it gently or angrily, depending on how you feel, it will be like erasing writing on the white board. SO EASY! Nail Polish Remover is the master of all. (12/08/2007)

By Sexy Saechao

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Wow! The dry erase marker really worked. I didn't have to scrub at all, and it took less than 5 min. (12/23/2007)

By dawn

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Thanks for the help. I used toothpaste and a magic eraser with soap and water to rinse and they came right off without harming the finish. (12/27/2007)

By drag4cash@yahoo.com

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Thank you to members of this forum. I had black marker graffiti written over the paint of my white Mercedes. I'm waiting for temps. to rise a bit outside, but I'm going to give the dry erase method a try. (01/12/2008)

By Frank

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Tried WD-40 = After much rubbing, it made the test spot a little bit lighter.

Tried Greased Lightening = Sprayed onto marker area and before I had a chance to wipe it, the whole area looked factory new. Then I did a courtesy wipe, since I had the cloth in my hand. GREAT stuff. (01/12/2008)

By Dan Yeager

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Thanks so much for this! Some awful people tagged something nasty on my SUV (I am a Mum - and driving around with that on it was horrendous!). I did a quick google and a dry eraser worked like a charm (my husband told me it wouldn't work!). Thank you, all you lovely people! (02/01/2008)

By Mel.

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

I had my silver BMW tagged on earlier this morning with what looked like a sharpie marker. I used nail polish remover and a soft cloth and it came off with little to no effort. Thanks to everyone on this website for the advice. (03/20/2008)

By Aaron

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

All it took was nail polish remover and a rag, and the marker came off easy. Thank you everyone! I was in a panic earlier. (05/16/2008)

By Nicole

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

We have a white van with a pearl finish. I used Acetone (nail polish remover) to remove the bulk of the permanent markings. Then Mr. Clean's Magic Sponge with toothpaste to rub away residue markings. Maybe 5 minutes of actual elbow grease. Worked like MAGIC! (06/06/2008)

By Fumed over vandals

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

My white VW van and one of my neighbor's VW vans has just been tagged with a thick marker pen. I used carb cleaner (alcohol in a can). It wiped off with ease and looks cleaner than before. I'm so happy it came off. (08/12/2008)

By Andy P

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

I found my car after half a day in the hot sun with writing on the hood and door. I tried the hairspray and it took some of the marker off, but then tried the Mr. Clean eraser. With a lot of scrubbing it all came off! Thanks to all for your help and tips! (08/15/2008)

By NM

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

I had permanent marker on the side of my Silver Honda. I used the dry erase marker, and then erased the remaining shadow with hairspray. Thanks for all the ideas! (08/24/2008)

By Kelli

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

I went out to my driveway this morning to find that my silver 1978 corvette had been tagged with a thick black permanent marker. As you can imagine, I was very mad. But I took carb cleaner to it and it wiped off without a problem. (09/03/2008)

By Steve

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Some little turd tagged my bright blue focus this morning with black permanent texta. Found this website. Used the magic eraser, took about 30 seconds and it's gone! Absolutely no trace it was ever there! Thanks heaps guys! (09/03/2008)

By

RE: Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

After finding the tag, I went to the Honda Dealer recon area. The guy used shellac thinner to wipe off the tag then sprayed a solution, I think was an acrylic, over the spot. Looked normal again. Just remember karma works both ways. (09/20/2008)

By Steve

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

I looked out my kitchen window and saw that someone had tagged my work truck (Comcast) which is white. I used nail polish remover and it came right off. Took less than 5 minutes. I would recommend this to anyone. Did not have any direct sunlight for a long period of time. It was done less than 8 hrs before I noticed it. "NAIL POLISH REMOVER." Who would have thought of that? Great idea! (10/24/2008)

By Karim

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

I purchased Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to remove permanent marker off my vehicle and it worked in less than ten minutes. Saved me from having to pay insurance deductible. I was a little skeptical but it did the job. I appreciate all the advice from this site. I didn't know what to do. (11/05/2008)

By Kris

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Careful with that nail polish remover folks, you could end up taking the paint off with it! I used Gumout carburetor cleaner. It took the Sharpie off in a jiffy with no damage. Just to be safe though, try it on an inconspicuous spot (like under the hood) first. (01/19/2009)

By Norm D.

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Hairspray and elbow grease worked a treat. Thanks to all who left feedback. I thought I was going to die when I first saw the permanent marker that my 2 year old drew on the white car with. It's nice to know you can always find a fix on google. :o) (01/19/2009)

By willconn

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover worked to remove permanent marker off clear-coat finish. (01/24/2009)

By tom/susan

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

I used rubbing compound and with a little elbow grease, it came right off. (02/09/2009)

By MP

Removing Permanent Marker from a Car

Tagging. If I ever caught a punk doing this I'd wring his little neck. I wonder from reading this if the punks who tag are hired by the bandits who then want hundreds to repaint the car, when household products are sufficient.

My own favorite blend for getting marks off of auto paint: WD-40 and baking soda on a paper towel. (03/19/2009)

By Red Neck

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 2, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Cars Cleaning OutsideJune 20, 2016
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Tip of a Sharpie marker at the end of a squiggly line on white background.
Removing Permanent Marker
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🎉
🎄