Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Does Scotchgard Damage Microfiber?

According to posts on ThriftyFun microfiber, being polyester (a plastic), should not be cleaned with acetone, which is known to destroy plastic. Someone also asked about the advisability of using Scotchgard on microfiber, but received no replies. I note on the Scotchgard ingredients list the word acetone. Question: Wouldn't using this product on microfiber cause damage?

Charles from Silver Spring, MD

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Sharon06/20/2008

When I bought my couch, the salesman told me not to use Scotchgard on the microfiber but to try this product called Sunarmor water and stain repellent, which is what I used, it worked perfectly and even if you pour something right on it it just beads up and rolls off. I tried it on my pillows first though just to be sure! I think you can buy it at Linens & Things or on the website www.protectfabrics.com

By Charles (Guest Post)10/08/2007

I contacted 3M and received a qualified answer to my question. All I was told was to "try it in an inconspicuous place" to see if there is a problem. It was explained that certain fibers may take on a "waxy" feel, which could happen with flocked fibers like microsuede (microfiber). That means you buy the product and if it's not good for the fabric you've wasted the product and the money. As to the use of acetone in the formulation, there was no reason given, other than to do so might be disclosing proprietary information! I was told to contact the furniture manufacturer. Not really helpful.

By Pat Giles10/02/2007

When I purchased my microfiber furniture, I was told by the salesman not to use Scotchguard. He said to use a good upholstery cleaner on it and it would be fine. I have found that to be true so far and love my furniture, which has to put up with two dogs and one cat, as well as myself! God bless you!

By Deanj09/27/2007

From 3M question web page.
Q: What materials and fabrics can I use Scotchgard Protector for fabrics on?

A: This product works great on most fabrics! Whether natural fabrics like cotton & wool, synthetic fabrics like polyester & nylon, or delicate fabrics like silk; you can use Scotchgard fabric protector. (It is always good to test in an inconspicuous spot for color bleeding.) We do not recommend using on rugs, carpets, suede, plastics, or vinyl. On upholstery, check furniture manufacturer's care and warranty information. Examples of usage include: sofa, chairs, auto upholstery, camper & rv's, clothing, silk ties & blouses, delicate fabrics, wool, quilts, throw pillows, table linens, place mats, window treatments, crafts, canvas shoes, & more!

If you have questions I would contact 3M Co. direct either through their web page or call 1-888-364-3577 and you will put in contact with someone who can answer your question. It is better to contact the manufacturer than rely on speculation.