Choosing Best Flooring for a Kitchen

My kitchen has a double layer of linoleum (one over the other) flooring. Right in the middle of the room is a huge spot where the sub-floor is exposed from the table and chairs being moved around for years.

I've read very good ideas on how to remove the linoleum. My question is once I get to the sub-floor what's best to use on it? Linoleum again? Adhesive tile squares? I need a clue.

By JeanieB from IA

I would not use Adhesive tile squares, they do not stay glued to the floor. Porcelain tile is a type of ceramic tile, it is manufactured using a series of unique clay minerals. Porcelain is a very resistant and durable product, it has a very hard surface and a solid structure.

You may want to consider laminate flooring if you want a wood look type floor. I have had Pergo flooring in my kitchen for 8+ years and it has held up well. It cleans up with vinegar water.

I would go with real wood or a laminate wood material. It depends on your budget, as real wood is often a little more.

The best flooring for you depends on your lifestyle. It's just my elderly hubby and me here (with the recent addition of his 46-yr-old son,) so the adhesive wood-look linoleum tiles hubby put down a couple of years ago are holding up nicely. This flooring got put down in the kitchen, bathroom and a small hall between the two. The linoleum tiles were reasonably priced. Since hubby did most of the work himself and only paid a helper $50, it worked out pretty well for us. For a family with kids and heavier traffic, you might consider something tougher like ceramic tiles with grout, or wood. For heavy-duty usage, you need heavy-duty flooring!

June 23, 2011 Flag

My kitchen floor desperately needs to be replaced! So what should I use? Ceramic tile? Linoleum? Laminate? I have hardwood floors throughout the rest of my house (built in 1941) and I have two children and a dog running all over the place. What would be my best choice?

By Kristen

They make a floating sheet vinyl now that is very easy to install and very soft to the feet.

I had bamboo flooring put in my kitchen and I love it.

My kitchen is tiny, but we have laminate from Home depot a few years ago. It is a dream to clean with a spray of Windex and a dry mop Or just a terry towel.I sometimes just spray the Windex and throw a couple of paper towels on it and drag my foot across it to pick up any spills. It dries in seconds and shines up fast. It is hard to pick up water off it though. But just a fast Windex spray and it is gone. The Windex is what the mfg. said to use on it.I love it. GG Vi

Vinyl. You can get just about any pattern/color you can imagine. Get a good quality and it will last. I have 4 cats and a dog. My floor is now ten years old and looks brand new. I keep it vacuumed so that dirt doesn't ruin the finish and washed every one to two weeks. I don't like ceramic. It's cold, the grout it always nasty, and everything you drop is certain to be broken!

nice kitchen with tile flooring
Choosing the Best Flooring for Your Kitchen
Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringMarch 7, 2010
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Screened Porch
Flooring a Screened Porch
Cleaning Tile Floors, Textured blue floor tile.
Cleaning Textured Flooring
Upclose picture of bamboo flooring.
Cleaning Bamboo Flooring