Removing Nail Polish Stains From a Couch

Removing nail polish stains from an upholstered couch or sofa can be challenging. This is a guide about removing nail polish stains from a couch.

November 27, 2012 Flag

I left some nail polish out with the lid on, but some kids found it and started painting lessons on the couch! To save myself from an eternity without nail polish, I came on this site. My sister and I used nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, and toothpaste! It worked! It took a loooong time of scrubbing and cotton balls but when you use them all, it works. Just remember to wash off all the toothpaste or it is sticky.

Good luck :)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

I just noticed this dried nail polish from painting toenails this past weekend. Must have toppled the polish without even noticing until tonight, Tuesday. Panicked since sofa sectional is just a couple of years old. Tried to scrape it off, didn't work. Soap and water didn't work. Nail polish remover didn't work. Then I googled. Found this article. Tried it (polish remover, alcohol, and toothpaste). WOW! It worked! And it was easy! So glad I decided to Google for a this solution to my problem. It really does work. And it didn't take much scrubbing at all. I did use a regular wash cloth instead of cotton balls. It seems to have worked. Can hardly wait until it completely dries.

August 18, 2016 Flag

How do I get dry nail polish off my cloth couch? It's been there a few months as my 3 year old tried painting her nails. Any suggestions would help? Wanting to sell my couch and can't with nail polish on it.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 2, 2006 Flag

I believe it is cotton. I tried nail polish remover, and although it did not remove the color on the fabric butit didn't remove the nail polish either. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Katrina from Liverpool, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

So guess what? I slept in today and my one year old and two year old got into my nail polish. They picked the color ORANGE and decided to make an art project out of my mother in laws couch. The couch is blue...micro suede...great right.....and I came on this site too see if I could find something to take it off with the only thing that would work is Wet nail polish, and still left the couch shinny now.

Oh well guess ill have to buy a couch slip or another couch. I tried acetone, rubbing alcohol, wet cloth...everything you could think of. Well guess what I'm doing with my tax return. lol Oh and to make it worse, it's all over my one year old too, and there isn't anything I can do about it because she's a baby except for wet nail polish or let it come off by itself. I know it sounds horrible, but my husband was considering leaving me for this. Laugh it up... I know I'm laughing....

If it happens again use oil to get it off the baby

Well I am using multi brush from Deichmann.....it takes everything off the skin or textil.....i slipped on our floor once and I put the nailpolish on couch...... Couch is white nailpolish was purple.... So I took it and it came out perfectly....just with warm soapy water.....you can buy The brush for 4$ ( sorry for bad english I am Slovak ^^)

July 1, 2014 Flag

I was doing my nails on the couch when no one was home. I had to go use the ladies room, when I came back I completely forgot the nail polish was on the couch with no lid on so I accidentally knocked it over as I sat down! The couch is a light brown micro. Please help me. Any good advice is fine, as long as it works.

By Leilani

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used nail polish remover on my couch and it worked! I was very surprised.

It doesn't seem to help all that good, I tried nail polish remover, hot water, and hairspray and nothing is getting it completely out. I don't know what to do

I got purple nail polish on my beige couch! Try a wet power vacuum with some pet carpet remover or oxi clean gel with nail polish remover and rubbing alcohol. It takes quite a while but really wroks!

February 28, 2015 Flag

My kid was painting her nails in the living room and got some polish on the couch. The couch is black and the nail polish is pink. Please help. I don't know what to do and I don't want to make it any worse.

By Kelly from Virginia Beach, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try spraying (or the liquid, unscrew the bottle) from hairspray. It works great on rugs, I never tried it on furniture before. Hope that helps.

April 20, 2011 Flag

How can I get nail polish off of my microfiber couch?

By Kayleigh

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Had the same problem - my daugher and her friends during a birthday party spilled hot pink nail polish on a brand new sand microfiber couch a few years ago - just tried nail polish remover and I can't believe it worked!

February 2, 2006 Flag

We have a nail varnish stain on our Channile armchair that has dried. Does anyone have an idea how to remove it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If chair is too heavy for you to move, ask a friend to help,

Skip

very helpful! I did mean remove the stain.

August 7, 2007 Flag

My two year old spilled a whole bottle of purple-ish fingernail polish on my new suede couch. The tag on the couch says to use water based cleaners to clean it. The couch is a blue/gray color. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! PLEASE HELP!

Ashley from Arkansas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using a soft old toothbrush and aceton. dip the tooth brush in aceton and in circular motion do a little at a time be sure to rinse the brush out often.

May 15, 2010 Flag

How do I remove a nail strengthener (a form of nail polish) from a fabric chair?

By Anne from Portsmouth, NH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 30, 2008 Flag

Does anyone know how to remove a small area of clear nail polish from a microfiber couch?

Kathy

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish from Microfiber

I don't know the color of couch but i would think you could test nail polish remover in an inconspicuous place and if it doesn't take color off try it on nail nail polish a little at a time hope this helps. (04/20/2007)

By Denise

Removing Nail Polish from Microfiber

I spilled half a bottle of RED nail polish on laminate wood floors and a white microfiber sofa, NAIL POLISH REMOVER saved me! It only took tiny amounts to get it off of the floor, don't rub just sweep it across the floor gently as though you were dusting it. Try to have the gunky puddles wiped up already. As for the sofa I gently scraped the nail polish (with the tip of a butter knife) trying to get the top layer off and then with a washcloth (light color so as not to transfer color ONTO the sofa) rubbed and scraped directly over the polish until it was clean.

You need to just shape the cloth over your finger, put the tip in the opening of the remover bottle and moisten the cloth. Use your fingertip in the cloth to rub a small section of the microfiber until it comes clean and then with white paper towels (maybe a white towel would work also) rub across that small spot back and forth until it is nearly dry-this prevents rings from forming around where you cleaned. If you get the sofa too wet it will be hard to avoid rings. You need to only let each small part stay wet a few minutes, maybe 8-10 minutes at the most, and then dry it whether you're finished or not. You can go back to it after it dries but you should work fast so as to avoid this. Your chances of getting it completely off are better in the first cleaning. I worked in 1-2 inch sections, it was very tedious and time consuming but it worked. Good Luck! (01/13/2008)

By Kristina D.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

April 20, 2011 Flag

Do should I get fingernail polish out of a micro fiber couch?

By Mitasha from Fenton, MO

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish from Microfiber

Whatever you use to take the polish off, be sure it doesn't make a worse mess/stain on the material. I used polish remover to take some off of a "suede" dress, but it took the fuzzy fake suede off as well, so it was worse than when I started. I have to cover the spot with a broach. (11/03/2010)

By louel53

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 1, 2010 Flag

I spilled red fingernail polish on a beige fabric couch. The couch is not microsuede, but it is a type of micro fiber. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

By Teresa from FT Rucker, AL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 6, 2010 Flag

How do I remove nail polish from a microfiber couch?

By Lindsay from New York, NY

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish from Microfiber

If it was your polish and your couch, first I would find a spot that doesn't show and try to replicate the "crime" (under the cushions, or?). That being done I would take some lighter fluid and a soft cloth and softly swipe at the area. It may take several tries, but it has worked for me on carpeting without discoloring it. (03/31/2010)

By tahloolabelle

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 29, 2010 Flag

How do I get nail polish out of a new red micro-fiber couch?

Kailey from Des Moines, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 2, 2006 Flag

I got nail polish on my brand new $3000.00 sofa and I can't get it off. I didn't realize that the additional $300 warranty on the sofa's material covered everything, but nail polish. I immediately used cold water with a laundry detergent. That didn't work, so I tried nail polish remover. That didn't work, so I tried hairspray to no avail. Please help me before my hubby comes home and kills me!

Thank You,
Diana from Indiana

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

Depending on what type of material it's made of and how big an area the polish covers, I'd spot test with fingernail polish remover. Or just call a pro furniture cleaner. Good luck. (05/17/2005)

By Kim

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

Diana, I think I would pack a suitcase and leave for a few days. Seriously, I hope you get it out. Bonnie (05/18/2005)

By bbartlein

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

First, I'm assuming the sofa is covered in cloth. If it is a leather sofa, the advice may also take the color out of the leather.

Make sure you use a nail polish remover with Acetone. Many of the removers don't have acetone anymore and you will probably need it to get out the spot. Usually the cheapest polish removers still have acetone.

You could also try lacquer thinner which would be available at the hardware store. Just be careful that you keep dabbing up the color so it doesn't spread. I'd use a soft cloth, some old rag made out of sheets or t-shirts. Put the thinner or remover on that and let it sit for a few minutes on the spot. Then wipe well with a clean cloth and try again until all of it is gone.

Calling a pro furniture cleaner is also a good idea. They may know of some methods that we don't.
Susan from ThriftyFun (05/18/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

Last night I was painting my 3 girls' nails. My middle daughter got the polish down and left it on the end table of the leather sofa. My oldest and I came around the corner to find the youngest pulling the brush out of the polish. I yelled and took off running. I grabbed the polish and noticed drops of polish all over the sofa. Shiny Silver! I took a wet rag and wiped it. It took only a bit off. I noticed the area I wiped lighter. I was sick. I knew polish remover only would take the stain off. I got on the internet and found things like baking soda, shaving cream, and ect. I read something about using polish remover, but making sure it had acetone. After a long time I took a Q-tip and put some polish remover on it. I thought I would try it on an area. On the arm it made a dramatic light spot. Yikes! Then I put it on the seat and wiped with a wet paper towel. It faded only a bit. At this time I thought it was still better looking then the polish. After I was done I could notice a pretty big change in the color. My sofa was a "Camel" color. I then remembered someone using balm to condition leather. I got some Vermont's Original Bag Balm and massaged it through and let it stay. It made the leather's color even out a lot! Also leaving it so nice and soft. I swear it is the same stuff Dr. Martin uses for there leather shoe conditioner. This worked for me and I was at the point of giving up and getting something to just cover the sofa. Again, this was dime size spots. (03/22/2006)

By Shannon

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

The same thing happened to us, and the only thing that works is vaseline.

By Lenore

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

ACETONE! I'm not sure hwo to spell it, but it takes it right off. I had the same situation but my dad was coming home. (10/04/2006)

By ashley

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

I called a professional and they said Acetone and that they would only be doing what I could do, nothing more. Not to waste my money. So, I am going to try it. (10/11/2006)

By Andrea

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureNovember 29, 2012
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Cleaning Stains off of a Couch
Cleaning Stains on a Couch
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 2:22:00 PM on 10.0.2.50 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.