Removing Nail Polish Stains From a Couch

Category Furniture
Two girls putting on nail polish on a couch.
Removing nail polish stains from an upholstered couch or sofa can be challenging. This is a guide about removing nail polish stains from a couch.

I left some nail polish out with the lid on, but some kids found it and started painting lessons on the couch! To save myself from an eternity without nail polish, I came on this site. My sister and I used nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, and toothpaste! It worked! It took a loooong time of scrubbing and cotton balls but when you use them all, it works. Just remember to wash off all the toothpaste or it is sticky.

Good luck :)

Top Comment

I just noticed this dried nail polish from painting toenails this past weekend. Must have toppled the polish without even noticing until tonight, Tuesday. Panicked since sofa sectional is just a couple of years old. Tried to scrape it off, didn't work. Soap and water didn't work. Nail polish remover didn't work. Then I googled. Found this article. Tried it (polish remover, alcohol, and toothpaste). WOW! It worked! And it was easy! So glad I decided to Google for a this solution to my problem. It really does work. And it didn't take much scrubbing at all. I did use a regular wash cloth instead of cotton balls. It seems to have worked. Can hardly wait until it completely dries.

I believe it is cotton. I tried nail polish remover, and although it did not remove the color on the fabric butit didn't remove the nail polish either. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Katrina from Liverpool, PA

Answers

Wow my dads gonna be home any minute and I don't have any of that stuff and I'm gonna get in trouble and my dog spilt my hot pink finger nail polish and I'm gonna get in so much trouble PLEASE HELP ME

My friend and I were painting nails, and the brush slipped out of her hand. It got on the floor and on the couch. We got it off the floor with spot shot, and now we cant find a way to remove. Please help before my mom wakes up

p.s. Please I really am not looking forward to getting in trouble because my dad is coming home tomorrow. If she is mad she will tell everyone and my dad will be really, really mad, and then he will get grumpy. Please help me quick!

HELP! I am going to be dead if I do not get the bright red nail polish out of my couch. I was painting my nails and I did not realize that the cap was still on the nail polish bottle, and well when I picked up the bottle and well to make the story short it got all over a picture frame, 1/3 of the couch, and the pillow that went with the couch. BRIGHT RED! Can you say dead meat? I immediatly went to this website and got the idea to use nail polish remover WITH acetone, and that did not work, so then I used Windex, and just my luck it did not work, so then I tried OFF, and of course that did not work. I tried just using warm water and soap and that did not work either. I am afraid to use vaseline because it might damage the couch even more and have an oily base. PLEASE GIVE ME AN IDEA THAT WORKS!

Yikes, me and my friend were doing nail polish and it exploded! now we cant get it off we used windex, hairspray, grease remover, water, tooth paste, and nail polish remover. Of course it didn't work. Please we really need to get it out! Please tell me how!

I just used Spic N Span and it worked! I'm so Brilliant, and thank god, because my parents are going to be here in a little bit.

Just have to say thank you to all of you! My seven yr old just got hot pink nail polish all over my sofa. I am so upset and angry, but reading all your emails made me laugh--we're not alone with this!

It works to use a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol!

My little girl 2 covered my couch with purple nail polish. I have tried everything you all have said. It wont come out. What should I do? My husband will kill me. It's so bad, I have tried it all. When we bought it, they said everything would come out with soap and water. It hasn't. It's a micro fiber couch, help, please.

omg! I just split nail polish on my brand new hot pink bed spread, and my mom will kill me because it cost 300 dollars. I tried acetone but it didn't work! Any other ideas?

I spilled hot pink polish on my couch, and I got really scared! I knew I was going to get in trouble, so I had to think fast. I tried stain remover, hot water, alcohol, and a lot of other stuff. BUt none of them worked. Then I tried acetone, or finger nail polish remover. The stains came RIGHT OUT! But then, the acetone cause holes on my couch. " I had to sew them up. So if you have a couch that has delicate material, don't use the acetone. IT BURNS THROUGH YOUR FABRIC and puts holes in it!

I just spilled RED polish on my couch and came to this site and seen the only suggestion that I hadn't tried which was alcohol. I tried it, it took a little scrubbing and it worked. It looked as though it may have just lightened it up but as it dried, the polish vanished with the alcohol. This is on a brown couch so not sure how it will work with anything lighter but sure worth a try. Good luck to all those spills!

Help me please! I spilled pink nail polish on my mom's white sofa. She's going to kill me. What should I do?

My sister and I got pink nail polish on the couch, and we tried so many things but it just wouldn't come off! Laundry stain remover started to work a little, but then we used rubbing alcohol. We used that and with cotton swabs it started to come off. With a little scubbing, it uplifted, and it came out!!! So the answer was rubbing alcohol, but next time, make sure to do it on the table!

My lil un spilt nail polish all over my mother in law's £600 leather sofa. I scrubbed it with a sponge and nail polish remover and it's come off, just. But be careful with leather as it scratches it, xxx.

I found pink nail polish on the arm of my BRIGHT RED LEATHER COUCH!

My 14 year old granddaughter and her friends have denied it. They don't wear nail polish. So where did the bottle of pink polish come from on the kitchen counter? Maybe it belongs to my dog Millie, she gets the blame for everything.

Please Help

My mom accidentally dropped pink nail polish on my dads new recliner. Any new solutions?

How do I get dry nail polish off my cloth couch? It's been there a few months as my 3 year old tried painting her nails. Any suggestions would help? Wanting to sell my couch and can't with nail polish on it.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How can I get nail polish off of my microfiber couch?

By Kayleigh

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I was doing my nails on the couch when no one was home. I had to go use the ladies room, when I came back I completely forgot the nail polish was on the couch with no lid on so I accidentally knocked it over as I sat down! The couch is a light brown micro. Please help me. Any good advice is fine, as long as it works.

By Leilani

We have a nail varnish stain on our Channile armchair that has dried. Does anyone have an idea how to remove it?

If chair is too heavy for you to move, ask a friend to help,

Skip

very helpful! I did mean remove the stain.

My kid was painting her nails in the living room and got some polish on the couch. The couch is black and the nail polish is pink. Please help. I don't know what to do and I don't want to make it any worse.

By Kelly from Virginia Beach, VA

How do I remove a nail strengthener (a form of nail polish) from a fabric chair?

By Anne from Portsmouth, NH

My two year old spilled a whole bottle of purple-ish fingernail polish on my new suede couch. The tag on the couch says to use water based cleaners to clean it. The couch is a blue/gray color. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! PLEASE HELP!

Ashley from Arkansas

Try using a soft old toothbrush and aceton. dip the tooth brush in aceton and in circular motion do a little at a time be sure to rinse the brush out often.

Does anyone know how to remove a small area of clear nail polish from a microfiber couch?

Kathy

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish from Microfiber

I don't know the color of couch but i would think you could test nail polish remover in an inconspicuous place and if it doesn't take color off try it on nail nail polish a little at a time hope this helps. (04/20/2007)

By Denise

Removing Nail Polish from Microfiber

I spilled half a bottle of RED nail polish on laminate wood floors and a white microfiber sofa, NAIL POLISH REMOVER saved me! It only took tiny amounts to get it off of the floor, don't rub just sweep it across the floor gently as though you were dusting it. Try to have the gunky puddles wiped up already. As for the sofa I gently scraped the nail polish (with the tip of a butter knife) trying to get the top layer off and then with a washcloth (light color so as not to transfer color ONTO the sofa) rubbed and scraped directly over the polish until it was clean.

You need to just shape the cloth over your finger, put the tip in the opening of the remover bottle and moisten the cloth. Use your fingertip in the cloth to rub a small section of the microfiber until it comes clean and then with white paper towels (maybe a white towel would work also) rub across that small spot back and forth until it is nearly dry-this prevents rings from forming around where you cleaned. If you get the sofa too wet it will be hard to avoid rings. You need to only let each small part stay wet a few minutes, maybe 8-10 minutes at the most, and then dry it whether you're finished or not. You can go back to it after it dries but you should work fast so as to avoid this. Your chances of getting it completely off are better in the first cleaning. I worked in 1-2 inch sections, it was very tedious and time consuming but it worked. Good Luck! (01/13/2008)

By Kristina D.

Do should I get fingernail polish out of a micro fiber couch?

By Mitasha from Fenton, MO

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish from Microfiber

Whatever you use to take the polish off, be sure it doesn't make a worse mess/stain on the material. I used polish remover to take some off of a "suede" dress, but it took the fuzzy fake suede off as well, so it was worse than when I started. I have to cover the spot with a broach. (11/03/2010)

By louel53

I spilled red fingernail polish on a beige fabric couch. The couch is not microsuede, but it is a type of micro fiber. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

By Teresa from FT Rucker, AL

How do I remove nail polish from a microfiber couch?

By Lindsay from New York, NY

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish from Microfiber

If it was your polish and your couch, first I would find a spot that doesn't show and try to replicate the "crime" (under the cushions, or?). That being done I would take some lighter fluid and a soft cloth and softly swipe at the area. It may take several tries, but it has worked for me on carpeting without discoloring it. (03/31/2010)

By tahloolabelle

How do I get nail polish out of a new red micro-fiber couch?

Kailey from Des Moines, IA

I got nail polish on my brand new $3000.00 sofa and I can't get it off. I didn't realize that the additional $300 warranty on the sofa's material covered everything, but nail polish. I immediately used cold water with a laundry detergent. That didn't work, so I tried nail polish remover. That didn't work, so I tried hairspray to no avail. Please help me before my hubby comes home and kills me!

Thank You,
Diana from Indiana

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

Depending on what type of material it's made of and how big an area the polish covers, I'd spot test with fingernail polish remover. Or just call a pro furniture cleaner. Good luck. (05/17/2005)

By Kim

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

Diana, I think I would pack a suitcase and leave for a few days. Seriously, I hope you get it out. Bonnie (05/18/2005)

By bbartlein

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

First, I'm assuming the sofa is covered in cloth. If it is a leather sofa, the advice may also take the color out of the leather.

Make sure you use a nail polish remover with Acetone. Many of the removers don't have acetone anymore and you will probably need it to get out the spot. Usually the cheapest polish removers still have acetone.

You could also try lacquer thinner which would be available at the hardware store. Just be careful that you keep dabbing up the color so it doesn't spread. I'd use a soft cloth, some old rag made out of sheets or t-shirts. Put the thinner or remover on that and let it sit for a few minutes on the spot. Then wipe well with a clean cloth and try again until all of it is gone.

Calling a pro furniture cleaner is also a good idea. They may know of some methods that we don't.
Susan from ThriftyFun (05/18/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

Last night I was painting my 3 girls' nails. My middle daughter got the polish down and left it on the end table of the leather sofa. My oldest and I came around the corner to find the youngest pulling the brush out of the polish. I yelled and took off running. I grabbed the polish and noticed drops of polish all over the sofa. Shiny Silver! I took a wet rag and wiped it. It took only a bit off. I noticed the area I wiped lighter. I was sick. I knew polish remover only would take the stain off. I got on the internet and found things like baking soda, shaving cream, and ect. I read something about using polish remover, but making sure it had acetone. After a long time I took a Q-tip and put some polish remover on it. I thought I would try it on an area. On the arm it made a dramatic light spot. Yikes! Then I put it on the seat and wiped with a wet paper towel. It faded only a bit. At this time I thought it was still better looking then the polish. After I was done I could notice a pretty big change in the color. My sofa was a "Camel" color. I then remembered someone using balm to condition leather. I got some Vermont's Original Bag Balm and massaged it through and let it stay. It made the leather's color even out a lot! Also leaving it so nice and soft. I swear it is the same stuff Dr. Martin uses for there leather shoe conditioner. This worked for me and I was at the point of giving up and getting something to just cover the sofa. Again, this was dime size spots. (03/22/2006)

By Shannon

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

The same thing happened to us, and the only thing that works is vaseline.

By Lenore

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

ACETONE! I'm not sure hwo to spell it, but it takes it right off. I had the same situation but my dad was coming home. (10/04/2006)

By ashley

Removing Nail Polish From a Sofa

I called a professional and they said Acetone and that they would only be doing what I could do, nothing more. Not to waste my money. So, I am going to try it. (10/11/2006)

By Andrea