Cleaning Stains on a Couch

Category Furniture
Depending on the fabric that your sofa is covered with, will determine the best way to remove the stains. This is a guide about cleaning stains on a couch.

I believe it is cotton. I tried nail polish remover, and although it did not remove the color on the fabric butit didn't remove the nail polish either. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Katrina from Liverpool, PA

Answers

By Jessica (Guest Post)

Wow my dads gonna be home any minute and I don't have any of that stuff and I'm gonna get in trouble and my dog spilt my hot pink finger nail polish and I'm gonna get in so much trouble PLEASE HELP ME

By haley (Guest Post)

My friend and I were painting nails, and the brush slipped out of her hand. It got on the floor and on the couch. We got it off the floor with spot shot, and now we cant find a way to remove. Please help before my mom wakes up

p.s. Please I really am not looking forward to getting in trouble because my dad is coming home tomorrow. If she is mad she will tell everyone and my dad will be really, really mad, and then he will get grumpy. Please help me quick!

By Londyn (Guest Post)

HELP! I am going to be dead if I do not get the bright red nail polish out of my couch. I was painting my nails and I did not realize that the cap was still on the nail polish bottle, and well when I picked up the bottle and well to make the story short it got all over a picture frame, 1/3 of the couch, and the pillow that went with the couch. BRIGHT RED! Can you say dead meat? I immediatly went to this website and got the idea to use nail polish remover WITH acetone, and that did not work, so then I used Windex, and just my luck it did not work, so then I tried OFF, and of course that did not work.

I tried just using warm water and soap and that did not work either. I am afraid to use vaseline because it might damage the couch even more and have an oily base. PLEASE GIVE ME AN IDEA THAT WORKS!

By colli and anader (Guest Post)

Yikes, me and my friend were doing nail polish and it exploded! now we cant get it off we used windex, hairspray, grease remover, water, tooth paste, and nail polish remover. Of course it didn't work. Please we really need to get it out! Please tell me how!

By Amanda (Guest Post)

I just used Spic N Span and it worked! I'm so Brilliant, and thank god, because my parents are going to be here in a little bit.

By Julie (Guest Post)

Just have to say thank you to all of you! My seven yr old just got hot pink nail polish all over my sofa. I am so upset and angry, but reading all your emails made me laugh--we're not alone with this!

By duetches (Guest Post)

It works to use a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol!

How can I get nail polish off of my microfiber couch?

By kayleigh

I have a set of cream/denim striped couches that are several years old. They have awful sweat stains. How do remove these stains? Oh how I wish I could throw the couches into the washing machine!

Roni

Answers

You can use a diluted solution of hot water and oxy clean. Make sure the oxy clean is dissolved, dip a rag into it and rub your sweat stains out. I have kids and this takes just about anything out that is organic on my couches.

Have you tried a steam cleaner? I know you can rent them from grocery stores and such and they should have a hand held attachment for use on surfaces other than floors. I understand they rent for less than $20 which is a cheaper alternative to buying new couches or slipcovers.

I've cleaned my upholstery for years using good old dry Tide detergent. I put about 3/4 cup dry Tide into a deep mixing bowl. Pour about 2 or 3 cups of very hot water over the Tide. Let it dissolve for several minutes. Take your electric mixer and beat the mixture until you get lots of thick foam that stands in peaks. Take a wet washcloth you've wrung out (don't want it dripping wet!) and apply the "foam" to the dirty areas and scrub it around. At times I've then scrubbed with a soft scrub brush too.....it depends on the fabric. Then dip another clean washcloth into clean warm water, wring it out and wipe away the foam and dirt. Keep rinsing the washcloth and wipe the area numerous times. Don't soak the upholstery either during scrubbing or rinsing. Let it dry throughly........maybe a day or two......then run your vacuum over it to pull out any leftover residue. I have a recliner I've cleaned this way numerous times, over the past 20 years, and it still looks nice!

By lalorch (Guest Post)

I use a tea tree oil soap scrub. Then I febreeze the heck out of it. If you can move the item into the sun for a time that is helpful too as the sun rays will also help kill bacteria which cause the odor.

Any ideas on how to get hand moisturizer stains off a bomber leather sofa.

Michelle

Answers

By Janet (Guest Post)

Here's a tip from Mary Poppin's Cleaning system site:
http://www.gocl  stain-guide.html

"Hand Lotion
Gently rub in liquid dish soap or squirt on a bit of foamy shaving cream. Wait 30 minutes and rinse with cool water.

If hand lotion has spilled onto wood, the wood absorbs the lotion making the stain removal difficult. Sprinkle on some cornstarch rubbing it into the grain. Let that set 5 to 6 hours vacuum to remove and repeat.

If a stain remains the table will require refinishing. Call a furniture refinishing store for their recommendations."

But they also say:

"Leather
When working with leather rinse the cleaner with sudsy water only, no vinegar. Then a final rinse in cool water. Follow with a leather conditioner. You’ll find excellent leather conditioners in Western Supply stores. They are used to protect boots and saddles. Contact the manufacturer for their recommendation. Leather should be conditioned at least two to three times a year to keep it subtle and prevent cracking.

Generally leather should always be dry cleaned by a professional who specializes in leather cleaning."

So be sure to test any cleaning solution in a portion of leather that won't be visible.

Here's another tip I found:

"Stained leather.To remove grease stains from leather, dab stiffened egg white to the leather and rub with a soft cloth."

http://www.g-k-  uk/furniture.htm

guest client

I have heard that if you allow talc powder to sit on the stain it will soak up most if not all of the oil residue and then just condition the leather as normal.

By Chrystal (Guest Post)

I have a cloth cover on my couch and I noticed a lot and I mean a lot of piling, those little cloth bunnies?!, How do you get them off without having to pick each one off by hand?

By Marsha (Guest Post)

My dog has rubbed her back with flea oil solution on my leather couch. Help????

How do I remove ballpoint ink stains from my ultra suede couch?

By jane taylor from SC

What will take food grease out of fabric on a couch?

Misty from Raleigh, NC

Answers

I've used (Shout) spray laundry on this type of stain & it worked for me. It takes out greecy food stains from clothes.
Spray & use cloth in circular motion, you might have to repeat 2-3 times, but it should work.
Good luck, Sherry.
Baby Tarzan

By Lynda (Guest Post)

Depends upon the fabric content/color. If all or half Poly, try Ivory Liquid/warm water and terry rag, then blow dry. If some came out, but the fabric is colored,
keep trying. If no results, blow dry again and try alcohol and terry rag. Blow dry. If red sauce stain, or reddish grease, it might not come out unless you have a white couch/sofa. If white, spray K2R Stain Remover, blow dry hot 30 seconds, then brush Stain
Remover out as it turns to powder when dry. Good luck and God bless your labor. : )

We have a nail varnish stain on our Channile armchair that has dried. Does anyone have an idea how to remove it?

Answers

By (Guest Post)

If chair is too heavy for you to move, ask a friend to help,

Skip

very helpful! I did mean remove the stain.

How can I get long term set in stains out of a couch?

By Mandy D.

My neighbor gave me a sofa he no longer needed and I found it has a stain on the seat. It looks like it might be vomit. How do I remove the stain?

By Rachelle from Denver, CO

How do I remove a nail strengthener (a form of nail polish) from a fabric chair?

By Anne Morrissey from Portsmouth, NH

How do I remove a sweat stain from a light green microfibre covered couch?

By Geri from Australia

I am trying to find a product to remove a urine stain from my microfiber couch. The cover is not removable.

By Ronell

My two year old spilled a whole bottle of purple-ish fingernail polish on my new suede couch. The tag on the couch says to use water based cleaners to clean it. The couch is a blue/gray color. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! PLEASE HELP!

Ashley from Arkansas

Answers

Try using a soft old toothbrush and aceton. dip the tooth brush in aceton and in circular motion do a little at a time be sure to rinse the brush out often.

My sofa was stained by a black couch cover from Overstock.com. It bled into our off white microfiber sofa.

By Sandy from Lady Lake, FL

How do I get makeup stains from a microfiber couch?

Mary from Tampa, Fl