Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Buying Friend a Moving Away Gift

My close friend and her husband are moving out of state for the first time. I would like to get her a little moving away happy. Does anyone have any ideas?

By brenda23 from Starkville, MS

By Bev07/23/2009

All suggestions were good ones. When I had to move a long way (1500 miles) to a new state I was gifted with things I could place in my collection which was teddy bears. If your friends have a collection of some sort that you can add to then do that with a way to mark it with your name and date to prompt their memory of who it was from years from now. There isn't a day that I don't pass by them (I got two) and think of them. The welcome card is also a great idea because I got one and it was such a joy. Googling to see if their favorite restaurant is near their new home and then giving them a gift card for it is a nice thought. I think a gift card to a favorite store is nice to in order to replace items not practical to move like perishable foods.

By Loretta [18]07/02/2009

Along with all the suggestions I just read, all interesting, and depending on the $ available, why not think about making a recipe collection? Get them from mutual friends, and any special things that your friend has commented on in the past. I have always loved "new" recipes, and even some very old ones, good enough to pass on, over and over again. These things, though small, sometimes have the biggest emotional impact, even years later. I know! My dear mom cooked for most of her 88 years, and when she left this life, my sister sent me her files, notebooks, and file boxes. I still delight in finding one I liked as a child. Little notations along with the recipe just add to the enjoyment.

By Connie Henry [11]07/02/2009

How long has your friend lived in this town? Long enough to have known a lot of people? I always loved to keep up with what events were happening in my hometown so what about getting your friend a years subscription to your local newspaper. This way she can keep in touch with the people that she knows and see friends who might appear in the paper every week and think of you.

By Teri Van Hecke [7]07/02/2009

What about Googling their future city and finding an attraction/restaurant/event in the near future and giving them a gift certificate for that? It would get them out and about in their new location and they'd think of you that evening, too.

By Dorothy [1]07/02/2009

When my friend moved from NY to Florida I made her a big basket of items with a Florida theme. Maps, travel books of her new area along with suntan lotion, flipflops, sunglasses and other Florida themed items.

By Pat Giles07/02/2009

Why not buy her a friend placque or pillow? That's what I'm giving my closest friends when I move. God bless you and your friend!

By Melody Bressler-Hay [18]07/02/2009

We moved about 2 years ago and these are some of the things we liked or would have liked.
-A digital picture frame loaded with photos of the "old" area (special people, houses we liked, sites, nature, even stores for a shopaholic) and some pictures (taken from the web) of our new area (sites to see within 50 miles, etc.). Helped with homesick blues.

-My daughter got a 500 minute calling card from her friend's mom so she could stay in touch for awhile without breaking the bank. The idea of the card was so she could call from anywhere. My daughter LOVED it.

-Letters/cards sent to our new address that arrived the day after we did to welcome us to our new home. (The envelopes were also useful to help us get library cards as they served as proof of residence.)

-Gift cards for local restaurants. My M-I-L didn't have time to get cards but she called a small, local (non-chain) restaurant and asked them what the typical charge for a family of 4 was, paid with her credit card, got a "password" for us to use and then told us about it over the phone. The password and our name was at the register and we had no problems even though the manager that set it all up was not there when we went in.

-Maybe tickets to the movie theater or other entertainment, 3 months at a local gym, etc. Moving is stressful and people tend not to take the time to relax or exercise right away.

I'm sure there are lots more things to do. Info on the new area, maps with locations marked, digital cameras to document the move or the journey and post on the internet. The sky is the limit.

07/01/2009

You could enlarge and frame a picture of you and your friend or make a scrap book with all the "good time" pictures in it.

When someone moves, they usually don't have the time or means to cook for a few days. A gift card to a restaurant in the area where they will be moving would probably be much appreciated.