Recipes Using Frozen Roma Tomatoes

My garden produced an abundance of Roma tomatoes, which I have frozen whole with skins on. I would like to make salsa and spaghetti sauce out of these. Most recipes I find use canned tomatoes. Any ideas or recipes? I would be grateful, thanks.

Karen from Leavenworth, KS

You can substitute the frozen for canned. I'd just blanch them and remove skins if they have them and use the same way. Maybe mash them up first and you might have to cook them longerand add some spices. That's what I do.

Hi, I always pick my romas, wash them, toss into a zip bag in the freezer till I have a day to do all my tomatoes on.

Then I thaw them in the bags, run them through the blender, dump in to the cooking pots on the stove, and then I can start making my different tomato items from the degree of cook-down. From juice to tomato paste. I process each desired consistancy into pint jars and seal them.

After a certain point of FULL FREEZER, I would wash them, quarter them and lay on cooling cookie racks on cookie sheets (cover the bottom with foil as not to have the acid ruin the pan.) I SUN DRIED my tomatoes in the oven on 200 degrees till the degree of dryness I wanted them. I cooled them, put into freezer bags and tossed into the spare fridge to keep, use for gifts and cooking use. Chop and toss with EVOO for any recipe is good.

I also picked my cherry tomatoes, washed them, tossed into freezer bags and frozen. They can be used for all sorts of hot dishes, pizza, etc.

A Word about tomato skins: I prefer not to have the skin in a tomato dish, but it's SO EASY to just run each frozen tomato under hot water, the skin just slips off! Then you can let them thaw and handle accordingly.

From experience with Romas and a lot of them.....NO SKINS when canning or freezing. A simple boiling water process.....wash Romas from garden, boil a pot of hot water, drop Romas in boiling water for 15-20 seconds, put in sink full of cold water, peel Romas (they peel real easy), vut in half to make sure there are no bad spots and either can or freeze. If you can them, add 1 Tbsp of salt before sealing. We use these methods every year and are awesome for our chili, spagetti and soups.

You can use them in any recipe. I figure ( eyeball) about 2 cups for each can called for. They make wonderful sauces.