Advice for Buying a Prepaid Debit Card

I'm wanting to find out where to buy a prepaid charge card and how it works?

By Jill from Steedman, MO

You can get prepaid cards in many places: Walmart, Walgreens, Kroger, etc. You can even get one on-line. A popular one on-line is Green Dot. The only thing I would warn you about is how much money is removed from your card every 30 days after purchase. I used to think it would be nice to buy a card and stash it in my car for emergencies. At least until I heard that with the card I was going to buy they removed $6 every 30 days.

I don't think they do that with gift cards though. It would be something to check out if that would be an option.

I've heard that some of the credit cards will charge you every time you go on line to check the balance.

Try applying for a PayPal business debit card (not a line of credit card but a debit card like the one a bank gives you for your checking account). You can transfer as much or as little of an amount as you want to for a small one time fee. Also, people can pay you via PayPal for a small fee (that's how ThriftyFun pays me when I win a contest). I love my PayPal debit card because there are no hidden fees and every now and then they even give a small bonus amount for spending a certain amount of money on it.

A stack of credit cards.
Using a Prepaid Debit or Credit Card
Budget & Finance AdviceMarch 13, 2011
Woman holding a cell phone.
Switching from Cell Phone Contract to Prepaid
Custom Debit and Credit Card
Ordering Custom Debit and Credit Cards
Paying with Cash instead of a Card
Paying with Cash instead of a Card
A trunk for putting congratulations card into at a wedding.
Making a Card Box for Your Wedding