Uses for Salt and Pepper Shakers

I would like ideas for using salt and pepper shakers in the kitchen. I have some that have ivy leafs but I want to use something other than salt and pepper. The shakers match a bottle that I am putting flavored oil in.

By Kim from TN

Put some spices in them.

I would put in dried dill (AWESOME in cooking!) and perhaps garlic salt or something frequently used in seasoning. TIP: buy your "spices" from the BULK section a teaspoon or tablespoon at a time! FAR fresher usually and far less spendy!

Cayenne pepper is great as is paprika! (just some tips)

Seasoned salt or cinnamon sugar are two obvious choices. Or if you don't use or need salt in your diet, use garlic powder instead of garlic salt. Also a salt free seasoning like Mrs. Dash, salt free, would be great!

I have several shakers and I put flour in one -- to use when I need just a dusting of flour; I mix salt AND pepper in one for ease in cooking; and I use one for baking soda to clean all sorts of stuff and things.

I collect hat pins from thrift stores and flea markets. I pick up great salt & pepper shakers for a holder for them. Even if there is just one, it's perfect. China ones are beautiful and one of a kind.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceSeptember 22, 2010
Brazilian Pepper Tree
Getting Rid of a Brazilian Pepper Tree
Spicy Soup With Peppers
Fixing Soup With Too Much Pepper
lucite salt and pepper grinders
Finding Lucite Salt/Pepper Grinders
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments