Ripening Tomatoes

Ripen homegrown tomatoes on a rubber shelf liner. We bought our house 2 years ago and the woman that lived here before me left her rubber shelf liners. I hated the stuff, but also hated to throw it away. I came up with this idea.

The rubber cushions the tomatoes and the holes let air circulate around them. It also keeps the tomatoes from sitting in juice from a weepy tomato. You can also put towels, newspaper or paper towels under the rubber liner to soak up the juice from the weepers. When it gets dirty, just throw it in the washing machine with a little bleach.

Happy Summer bounty everyone!

By Jessie Lou from Wooster, AR

I have pulled them when it gets to cold before it starts to freeze and hung them up in a cool area, I hung them in the garage where they ripened fine.

July 22, 2009 Flag

To ripen tomatoes, put them in a brown paper bag in a dark pantry, and they will ripen overnight.

By Peggy

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesJuly 22, 2009
Peeling Tomatoes
Peeling Tomatoes
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
🎄