Home Remedies for Dog Joint Pain

Are there any home remedies for dog joint pain?

I don't know about home remedies but this is what I give my 14 yr. old w/advanced joint arthritis:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ ... cfm?c=3307+58+14068&pcatid=14068

I give it to her twice a day & you wouldn't even know she has it. She stills sprints up & down the stairs & jumps on the bed. She has no pain so it's completely worth it to me. There are different strengths depending on what your dog needs. I would rather spend it on my dogs to keep them healthy & happy than myself. I will do without something. Although so far I haven't had to but they are still the priority.

My hubby's knees used to hurt all the time. He now takes omega 3 pills and almost never has pain. I guess it would depend on what is causing the pain though. But at least it won't harm your dog in any way. Hope you find something that works! God bless you.

You can give dogs childrens strength ibprofin. This helps our girl. I also give her Purina One Adult dog food that has glucosimine in it. It helped her tremendously.

We've had good luck with glucosamine/chondroitin supplements for arthritis and have friends who are giving their dogs a supplement, with good results also. She's 10, just under 60 lb. and we're giving her 1 double-strength pill a day. Our vet says the canine version is probably better because it's formulated specifically for dogs, usually according to weight, but it is also more expensive, and the 'human' version should be fine.

Glucosamine/chondroitin helped my dog right away. Walgreen's brand is one of the least expensive and comes in gelatin capsules (check the label), so you can just open it and sprinkle it on the dog's food. It has a sweet and salty taste, not bad. I used one capsule a day for a 20-pound dog.

I don't know about home remedies, but I have an inexpensive treatment that we use for our 3 Rat Terriers. Two of them are 14 years old and the other one is 11 years old. We give them each a baby aspirin (easily done if you wrap it in a bit of cheese. Wal Mart has a package of cheese that has 16 slices for 96¢ and I cut a slice in thirds). They also have a liquid Glucosamine - Chondroitin with MSM. It is a 16 oz bottle, and the price is about $12.00. Our Terriers weigh between 12 and 15 pounds, and we give them each a teaspoonful each evening. One bottle lasts about a month. It is Berry Flavor, and they like it....they lick it right up. It really does help. Our oldest male dog was getting so bad that he was afraid to jump down off the couch because it hurt, but when he is on the medications, he doesn't have that problem.

Harlean from Arkansas

I think aspirin is toxic to dogs

I strongly recommend that you avoid giving ibuprofen to your dog without first discussing it with your vet. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen can be toxic to dogs, causing gastric irritation and kidney damage. If you feel you know best and don't need to take this precaution, please consider the weight of your dog compared to the milligrams of the medicine. A 200 pound human would typically take 400 mgs, therefore, you would not want to give a 20 lb dog more than about 40 mgs without your veterinarian's approval. Even then, it is probably best not to use it on a daily basis.

I just came from the Vets office and I have a 66 lb. Sheltie. I know that is a lot but he has a thyroid problem. Anyway, he has arthritis and he said to start by giving him 1500 mg a day of glucosamine chondroitin and also 3 aspirin a day. I was only giving him 500 a day because I didn't want to overdo it. So hopefully, if I start increasing it I can see a dif. Just wanted to let you know for those of you who were wondering how many milligrams to give, that this is what my vet recommended. And here is my baby.

You also want to rule out the possibility that the joint pain is due to hip dysplasia.

http://dogjointpain.net/hip-dysplasia

Glucosamine and Chondroitin are a good start to help with the pain. Hopefully it is not full blown dysplasia as there really is not a "cure" for that other than active pain management. My Shepard is 13 and has dysplasia and it is just a miserable situation for the poor old guy.

My vet recommended swim therapy which we are able to do every now and than and he seems to like that. You might try that as a way to get some exercise without putting too much impact on his or her joints.

I found a totally natural way to help my pet at http://nzymespetproducts.com/hip-dysplasia/ I started these a couple months ago and my Dixie went from barely getting up to go potty to now she runs up the stairs! She even doesn't realize she is get something to help her she just sits up and begs for her little treats every morning! We were at the point where the vet suggested surgery or the Rainbow Highway and I wasn't prepared for either :( But I've never been so glad to find a supplement.

July 6, 2011 Flag

My American Bull dog has joint pain. What can I give him for the pain? I don't have the money right now to pay the expensive vet costs.

By Jamie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You can give your dog a Glucosamine supplement that contains MSM. MSM is a natural pain killer. We don't buy the stuff made just for pets, because they always seem to charge extra for over-the-counter pet meds. We just buy a good quality supplement and give our dogs (Labs) 1/2 of a human dose. Also, when our dogs are in a lot of pain, we give them an aspirin. It relieves inflammation, and stops the pain, and the dogs have never had any problems taking an occasional aspirin. Never give your pets Tylenol.

Best Answer

Give him a 325 mg aspirin.

Best Answer

I give my cat glucosamine tabs every day. I bought them online here in Australia, but my Vet said they were good. You might find that your dog won't want to go outside as much, maybe he doesn't feel as though he could defend himself because of the pain, so you could keep him comfortable inside with an electric blanket in the cold weather. My cat now lives on the electric throw I bought for the lounge! I hope this helps and gives relief to your boy.

Best Answer

"Now" a brand of vitiams in health food stores, the name of the med is (d-flame) it is a cox 2 & 5 lox enzyme Inhibitor. I have taken this for my pain and given it to my dogs with ok from vet. It is all natural, for 8 years . You give 1 every 24 hours and he will feel a lot better. If that isn't enough then you can give him 1 every 12 hours. This was a godsend for my Dobie who was bleeding and couldn't have pain meds after surgery til I asked the vet and she said there was nothing there to harm her and she felt better within l/2 hour. Good luck here she is 4 years later.

Best Answer

There are a couple of things you can do for your dog. You can give him a regular aspirin once a day, get the kind that is coated and dissolves in the the intestine, not the stomach, the brand name is ecotrin, but you can get cheaper generic kinds called enteric coated asprin. Also a supplement called glucosamine really helps joint pain and has few if any side effects for humans or dogs. I have used all of these remedies and they really help. Make sure your dog gets some exercise, not too much, but enough to keep his joints moving. I know it's difficult for dogs of this type in the hot weather, but a couple of short walks each day will help. Good luck.

Marcie in Wisconsin

Me again. Important. No vaccines. They wreck the auto-immune system. Often the animal has problems immediately after a vaccine. Vaccines contain mercury(now called thimerisol) aluminum, anti freeze, rotting monkey brains, animal pus, foetal cells. All documented. Google. Homeopathic remedy that helps with vaccine damage. Thuja. Vaccine will damage even further. He is hurting already.

I agree with Patty Lynn. Our vet suggested glucosamine supplement that contains MSM for our Border Collie who had hip dysplasia. Here is an article that may help. http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/arthritis-pets/glucosamine-dogs.html

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NWF206/ItemDetail?n=0 this is the website I order it from as it is l/2 the price as in the health food stores. The l0.00 price is not a strain. Let me know if you need any further info.

You never said how you know your Dog has joint pains how long he has had this problem or his age This could be anything from Arthritis to a number of things. You need to consult your Veterinarian and perhaps have xray taken. This is just all part of responsible pet ownerspip. Good luck.

I give my lab pedigree healty bones and joints canned food and it really does seem to help him, I can tell a difference if he doesn't get it with his dry food. It costs about 1.15 a can and is well worth it.

Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 10, 2008
Home Remedies for Arthritis Pain
Home Remedies for Arthritis Pain
Brother and Sister Having a Joint Birthday Party
Planning a Joint Birthday Party
Using acupressure on a foot.
Using Acupressure for Foot Pain
Cat With Arthritis
Remedies for Cats With Arthritis
🎉
🎄