Reviews of Snoring Aids

Has anyone out there tried any of the mouthpiece, anti-snoring aids? They're plastic mouthpieces that the snorer wears in his mouth at night that supposedly moves the lower jaw forward to keep his airway more open and thus stop the snoring. I've seen several online for about $35-40 and am wondering if they help; my husband snores so loud that I'm about ready to start sleeping in the garage!

Lynn from Chico, CA

A couple of people told me that the nasal strips you place on the bridge of your nose helps. I am not sure how much they cost but it's worth a try. At the very least he'll breathe easier at night ;-)

Thanks, Deeli, we actually have tried the nasal strips and they do help him breathe a little easier--I wear them myself and notice my throat is much less dry in the mornings--but he still snores loudly even with the strips. So I'm hoping the mouthpiece might help.

I used them and it worked wonderful for the snoring. However, after a couple months use I noticed my jaw was clicking all the time when eating or opening my mouth. I didn't want to put any more stress on the TM joint because that can cause a lot of problems too with jaw and facial pain. So I am back to snoring. I keep it in my nightstand drawer though and use it sometimes on nights where I wake myself up several times with snoring.

TC in MO

I don't know if your hubby has all the signs, but one sign of sleep apnea is snoring. Does he stop snoring (and breathing) for a few seconds? Wake up with headaches? Tired from not getting quality sleep? Anyway, sleeping with an air mask and 16 pounds of pressure sure stopped my snoring.

I agree with AuntyC. Anyone with a serious snoring problem should be evaluated for sleep apnea. My Husband snored so badly that the bed would vibrate and he would thrash around periodically because he was actually struggling to breathe.

When he was evaluated we found out that he actually stopped breathing enough that his blood oxygen level was dangerously low. This can lead to heart attack. It also contributes to depression. At the very least it leaves the person exhausted even though they think they got a full night's sleep.

Since he got his cpap machine he has not snored a bit. He has much more energy, no more headaches or falling asleep at the drop of a hat. Plus now I can sleep better too! I'm not trying to scare you but please talk with your family Dr about having a sleep study done to determine the cause of his snoring.

The previous post suggested that he may have sleep apnea. I agree. My husband could compete with a train and he was always tired. I suggested that he get tested for sleep apnea; but, I was just his wife, what did I know. LOL! After about two years of nagging he got tested so that I would leave him alone.

In a six hour period he stopped breathing over 300 times!! He was fitted with a CPAP machine. I forget what the letters stand for but it forces compressed positive air pressure (actually, I think that's what the letters stand for) into his mouth and throat. IT IS NOT OXYGEN.

He has used it now for over five years and we feel that it literally saved his live. He says it is his best friend. We travel a lot and it's always the first thing he packs. You really need to have him checked. Nag him like I did if that's what it takes. He's now glad that I love him enough to nag. Good Luck!

Margaret in Denton, Texas

Be careful he might have sleep apnea. I do and use a cpap machine. (continuous positive air pressure). I snored very loudly, I am told.

I have a cnap machine which has worked very well but now I am controlling my snoring with soft palette exercise see

Consumer Advice Product Reviews Health and FitnessNovember 5, 2008
Hearing Aids
Hearing Aids Reviews
A woman laying awake at night.
Homemade Sleep Aids
A senior man wearing a hearing aid.
Hearing Aids for Low Income Seniors
bull dog snoring
Remedies for Dog Snoring