Homemade Window and Glass Cleaner Recipes

Category Cleaning
Even though no one likes to do windows, having a good glass cleaner goes a long way to making this job easier. This page contains homemade window and glass cleaner recipes.

A person cleaning a window with a rag.

Rubbing alcohol is an excellent product to use for cleaning windows. This is a guide about using rubbing alcohol for cleaning windows.

A bottle of window cleaner containing vinegar and cornstarch.

This is a guide about cornstarch and vinegar window cleaner recipe. Clean your windows using common kitchen products for sparkling glass and money savings.

• 1 pint rubbing alcohol
  • 2 Tbsp. ammonia
  • 2 Tbsp. liquid dish washing soap

Directions:

In a gallon jar, mix all 3 ingredients. Fill jar rest of way up with water. Use in spray container.

By Robin from Washington, IA

You can skip all that expense and trouble by using microfiber rags or sponges. They clean perfectly well with only water. It's time to get away from unnecessary chemical usage - and the cost.

And I agree with Deeli: white vinegar is a great cleaner for so many things in the home and laundry. I use it daily for dishes and laundry.

Fill up bottle sprayer almost two inches to the rim. Add 1 Tbsp dish detergent and 1 tsp. of any dishwasher rinse aid. Add blue food color, if desired. Screw back in the sprayer. Mix it up by turning it upside down few times and it is ready to use.

My mother taught us to cut a potato, so we could rub the starch onto the window pane. Three reasons why this is a good method:

By Tim from Science Hill, Ky

I have never heard of doing this! Think I'll try it on my patio doors since my cats like to put their noses on the window panes. If it works I'll let you know.

There is a recipe for glass cleaner with vinegar and ammonia. Do you have it?

By pthimlar from Zionsville, IN

Anonymous

I don't even bother with the ammonia. Just mix equal parts of water and distilled vinegar and the glass will be just as clean. If the windows, or mirrors, are not really dirty I just use 1/3 vinegar to 2/3 water. A trick for streak less windows with little effort is to never wash them when the sun is shining on them ;-)

This is what I use:

1 pint water

½ C rubbing alcohol

1 T ammonia

1 or 2 drops blue food coloring (optional)

I like this formula because it doesn't have the strong ammonia smell

but still does a great job cleaning glass.

You can also use Windshield cleaner. It's cheap and works great!

Do any of you have a recipe for a homemade window cleaner?

By Shelley from San Diego

Plain old vinegar. Works wonders. Also use a lint free cloth and good to go.

Karyn

I agree Steve! I just started using this recipe and I love it! It works great on mirrors and windows. I just fill my old Windex bottle up with plain old water and add 2 drips of Dawn dishvsoap. It works amazing!

1/4 Rubbing Alcohol, 3/4 water, a couple drops of Dawn Dish Soap. After you use this, you will never ask that question again. It can also be used in your cars windsheild washer fluid reservoir. You will never use anything else after trying this solution.

Can anyone give me a recipe for window washing solution that can be used for outside windows in the winter? I just moved into a new home and the windows are filthy.

By Clark12

If you are going to wash your windows outside when there's a chance of the cleaner frosting over, just put about a 1/4 cup of rubbng alcohol in with the cleaner. This will stop it from freezing or frosting over.

I did janitorial for 5 years at the local college. We used windshield washer liquid. There is a no freeze type for winter use in the car too. Works great on any window.

Outside in below zero or close to it temps use the windshield cleaner for cars. Works very good. Can use a squeegie too

I have made a window cleaner with Isopropyl alcohol, ammonia, water and essential oil but the ammonia's smell is very pungent. I don't know how to make the ammonia's odor subside. Can anyone help me out of this problem?

Raheel from Karachi, Pakistan

Is there a way to use less ammonia or to substitute another ingredient in order to lessen the odor?

I mix equal amounts of water, isopropyl alcohol and vinegar and it is a great window cleaner, no smell and no streaking.

I would imagine that the essential oil leaves a greasy film on glass, causing streaking, and attracting dirt. The problem with ammonia is that is is quite volatile - it evaporates readily, and there is nothing you can do about that except try reducing the amount of ammonia in stages until it no longer works or no longer smells, whichever comes first.

I have used Windex's window cleaning sheets. They work great but are kind of expensive. Does anyone know how to make homemade cleaning sheets? Thank you.

By Karen from Charleston, SC

• 1 part vinegar
  • 1 part alcohol
  • 1 part water

Directions:

Combine in a spray bottle. This can be used on windows, mirrors, appliances, faucets, etc. I find that it works better (read: less streaking) than store bought.

By Leann

Answers:

Homemade Glass Cleaner

I use regular rubbing alcohol and white distilled vinegar. (09/30/2004)

By Leann

Window Cleaning Solutuion

The best mixture for cleaning windows is 1/2 cup of ammonia, 1 cup of white vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in a bucket of warm water.

(10/29/2004)

By Peggy

Homemade Glass Cleaner

I use 2 tablespoons ammonia, 1 cup rubbing alcohol, and 4 cups water. Mix together, put in a spray bottle and you are ready to clean those windows! Cheap! (10/30/2004)

By hugmehugs

Homemade Glass Cleaner

If you have thermal pane windows, don't use ammonia. It discolors the windows (turns them purple). A Pella window installer shared this with us. (10/30/2004)

By bronda

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

We buy gallon jugs of windshield washer fluid when it's on sale and pour it into a spray bottle as needed. It works like a charm and is cheap! (11/05/2004)

By Songbird100

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

I use 1 tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda per 1/2 gallon of warm water for all windows in the house and the cars. They stay clean longer, no streaking, and this gets rid of smoke stains/oil. (11/26/2004)

Using Alcohol Instead of Window Cleaner

Instead of buying expensive window cleaners I found rubbing alcohol works best. I fill up an empty squirt bottle from the dollar store with alcohol and start cleaning. It leaves windows, mirrors, and chrome streak free and clean (plus it costs a lot less!)

(11/28/2004)

By KimS

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

Use straight vinegar in a spray bottle. It leaves no streaks and chrome comes shiny like new. (12/10/2004)

By Shirli

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

Vinegar added with very warm water and crumpled up newspaper work just as well.
Happy Holidays.

(12/18/2004)

By Mary

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

Windshield washer fluid sounds good, but read the warning on the label. Some contain methanol not alcohol and may be a danger to use indoors. (02/22/2005)

By Tom

Glass Cleaner

3/4 cup of rubbing alcohol to 1/4 cup of water makes for an excellent glass cleaner. It is great for mirrors, chrome, and countertops, too.

(03/16/2005)

By Crystal

Window Cleaning Recipe

Wash windows with the following recipe:

• 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 cup ammonia
  • 2 tablespoons corn starch

Mix these three ingredients in one gallon of hot water.

(04/01/2005)

By truerblue

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

Just an FYI, I don't think windshield washer fluid should be used indoors either and where I live, it is "not" cheap. (07/29/2007)

By Maryeileen

Homemade Glass and Window Cleaners

As a professional window cleaner for over 30 years, let me tell you from experience and experimentation; newspapers or vinegar are "not" the best choices for home made window cleaning solution. I've tried them all extensively.

Most window cleaners use a few drops of Dawn or Joy dish washing soap in a bucket of water. If you want to use as a spray, add some alcohol, rubbing alcohol works, but is not the best choice. For wind shield washer fluid add more alcohol to prevent freezing, not an issue if you don't have freezing weather.

It's not the chemical that produces the streak-free clean window it's the training, practice, skill, and techniques of the professional that make the difference. Professional tools also help. But why waste your hard-earned free time cleaning windows? It's easy to hire a pro, just look up window cleaners in the YP or Google "window cleaners (+your location"and spend that free time doing something you enjoy)!
(06/08/2008)

By Steve

I have the best glass cleaner recipe ever! I've been using this for over 10 years! You can also put it in your window washer container in your car. No streaks!

Mix equal parts in an empty squirt bottle.

• Rubbing alcohol
  • Ammonia
  • Water
By Jane from Anaheim, California

Answers:

Jane's Favorite Homemade Glass Cleaner

Yes, love it! It does work wonders. I did all my windows this morning and they just shine. Thanks for this.
(03/09/2006)

by Sheila in Wisconsin.